Who actually takes their JL offroad?

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
My '69 4WD top of Cinnamon Pass, July 1976. The kid I'm holding lives in a paid off house and has a Rubicon for each foot.

IMG_0015.JPG
I learned to drive in the late sixties and took my test in a firebird 400 with 4 speed. (brothers car). It had dumped 6" or so fresh snow and Northeast Ohio does have hills. I did well.

This picture took me back decades, great shot! not sure that Firebird I drove would have done well on Poughkeepsie, but I think I might have wrapped it around most of the switchbacks on the Alpine Loop.
Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder how much different my old 3rd edition is.
do you need spare fuel to make the alpine loop (2-door tank)?
Your third edition would be fine. All those trails will be in it maybe with some minor changes. And yes a full tank of fuel will get you around the Loop. We even ran a few of the short side runs that can be done from there. There is a town (name?) on the loop its in the book you can actually get gas there if it makes you feel better to top off which really is always a good idea in that type of country.

Personally I would have 0 hesitation in your rig. Good rubber is a must!

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Your third edition would be fine. All those trails will be in it maybe with some minor changes. And yes a full tank of fuel will get you around the Loop. We even ran a few of the short side runs that can be done from there. There is a town (name?) on the loop its in the book you can actually get gas there if it makes you feel better to top off which really is always a good idea in that type of country.

Personally I would have 0 hesitation in your rig. Good rubber is a must!
Thanks! My rig is in pieces. Lol. But I’m definitely driving out west around the end of summer. Post-quarantine/new Jeep trip/overdue vacation.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
My '69 4WD top of Cinnamon Pass, July 1976.
Well darn- forget about the Jeep and I'll just take my CTS offroad. It might need about 6" of lift though.

OP
OP

Semaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 71 Chevelle 65 mustang
Took mine to the mountains well before I had plates.

Been to CA deserts and Ouray rock tastic sights... I have not done crazy rock crawling but it will happen. Was supposed to have already been to Moab, but that and Ouray will happen again this year.

20180630_153817-jpg.jpg

20180630_164215-jpg.jpg

20190205_112704-jpg.jpg

img_2575-jpg.jpg

img_2680-jpg.jpg

img_2806-jpg.jpg

img_2869-jpg.jpg

The best thing about getting out and exploring is meeting all the great people out there.

img_6745-jpg.jpg

Even if it's just dirt roads leading to an unknown town or a fantastic out of the way brewery, go play. That's what you bought this particular toy for isn't it? :beer:
Ive never seen that many 2 doors! I have a 2 door JK and I'm normally the only one.

Sponsored

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Everything i have is currently stock..... and well i go wherever i can or will when i see a place to go... even when i don't know anyone or how deep the rabbit hole goes....
Jeep Wrangler JL Who actually takes their JL offroad? Jeep 1

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Whenever I see old photos like this of RWD cars with no ABS, no airbags, no seatbelts, no cell reception, no navigation, no cargo room, ply tires, six people in five seats, 150 HP and 15 MPG, going up mountain passes...makes me wonder if today we focus too much on the toy and not enough on the experience.
Amen

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
We did the loop in about 2000 in my wife's Grand Cherokee on its factory tires. The town you are talking about is probably Lake City. However I wonder if a person would want to do the entire loop in one day. We went over to Lake City, camped one night, then back over to Silverton the next day.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We did the loop in about 2000 in my wife's Grand Cherokee on its factory tires. The town you are talking about is probably Lake City. However I wonder if a person would want to do the entire loop in one day. We went over to Lake City, camped one night, then back over to Silverton the next day.
yep allot of folks do that. And what I meant by good rubber is newer tread that will resist punctures from the granite stubble. I had a guy ask us to follow him across Imogene because he was running tires that were badly worn. That has always stuck in my mind as something I would never do.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Whenever I see old photos like this of RWD cars with no ABS, no airbags, no seatbelts, no cell reception, no navigation, no cargo room, ply tires, six people in five seats, 150 HP and 15 MPG, going up mountain passes...makes me wonder if today we focus too much on the toy and not enough on the experience.
"we"?

Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
150 HP and 15 MPG, going up mountain passes...makes me wonder
That Mustang was quite a bit better than that: 302 V8; 205 HP 270 lb-ft torque; 3sp manual; 22mpg spinning 2100 rpm at 70mph; 16 in town; limited slip rear end. Quote: "very well designed and strong engine. in stock form the 302 is a reliable and torqie engine that gives excellent gas mileage and long life when maintained and used within its limits."

Descending the steepish Northwest side of Cinnamon going down to Animas Forks, I turned off the engine keeping it in first, rarely needing to touch the brakes. The car was $2900 factory delivered to me June of '69. Sold it for twice what I paid on delivery after 205,000 trouble free miles. Bought a 4 door Subaru, then the XJ.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
I'm more into the adventure than the rock crawls. This is from a trip with JeepExpeditions,org in the Great Altar Dunes in Mexico. The trip started in Yuma, AZ then drove on the beach from El Gulfo to just north of Puerto Penasco then across the Pinacate Volcanic park (where the Apollo crews trained for getting around on the moon) and thru the awesome Great Altar Dunes. We camped on the shores of the Sea of Cortez three nights. Awesome trip. You can get an idea of
the types of trips they do here: https://www.jeepexpeditions.org/TripSchedule.php and more pictures from selected trips here: https://www.jeepexpeditions.org/photo_gallery/index.php

Jeep Wrangler JL Who actually takes their JL offroad? lr_Dunes 9.JPG

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I’m from Michigan as well. That road is actually one of our better ones :CWL:
This was on the Tin Cup loop, up by Baldwin Mi. We also then went a little further north and did the loop at Irons.

timize

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy's