Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
As it continues to dump rain here in Michigan. :(

I have taken the top and doors off completely two differnt times this year and only drove the Jeep once. Literally about a month total in time and one decent day for the top and doors off. My wife will join me in retirement next year. So this is the last year winter and shitty spring that I have to tolerate here in Michigan.
Sponsored

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Charokee, 18JL, MB Sprinter 3500 based WGO Navion
I have taken the top and doors off completely two differnt times this year and only drove the Jeep once. Literally about a month total in time and one decent day for the top and doors off. My wife will join me in retirement next year. So this is the last year winter and shitty spring that I have to tolerate here in Michigan.
Wife and I grew up in MI the last 12 years before we left, we lived in Traverse City until we moved to ID, FL and now TN.
We like to go back in the summer in our RV, but winters, no thanks.

Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
As often as we can. We don't do mud but rocks are our thing.

We have had both our other Jeeps to Colrado, Arizona and Utah. This JL is finally going to do Ouray in August. It has been to Hidden Falls, Hot Springs and ran about 300 miles of sand.

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Charokee, 18JL, MB Sprinter 3500 based WGO Navion
As often as we can. We don't do mud but rocks are our thing.

We have had both our other Jeeps to Colrado, Arizona and Utah. This JL is finally going to do Ouray in August. It has been to Hidden Falls, Hot Springs and ran about 300 miles of sand.
What are your favorite trails in Ouray? We were thinking about going back in September but it would be our first Jeeping venture. 18JL Sport no upgrades.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
What are your favorite trails in Ouray? We were thinking about going back in September but it would be our first Jeeping venture. 18JL Sport no upgrades.
You can expect some PM rain in Sept. Would recommend Blackbear/Imogene. Scary, but not the least bit technical....drove a two wheel drive granny geared '61 Ford crew cab over Imogene and an old '71 Land Cruiser 4 door 3sp no synchro over both Blackbear and Imogene. Had to back up two or three times every switchback turn dropping (no pun) into Telluride. Then, I had to back the Toyota up the last steepish switchback on the high west side of Imogene sans fuel injection to allow the fuel to run downhill from the uphill gas tank. When I got my XJ with 29" factory Goodyears those trails became scenic sleepers. Alpine Loop is less scary, but slightly more technical if you want to include a side trip to the Wall on Poughkeepsie Gulch. Your Sport can climb without lockers doing the correct line. Son and I did it in stock Cherokees (his ZJ and my XJ) the attached screenshot from Google search says it all perfectly accurately. Your Factory Sport is a perfect choice for the San Juans. Have a great time! When you do Moab, you'll need upgrades.
Jeep Wrangler JL Who actually takes their JL offroad? Picture 3

Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
Lockhart Basin and Elephant Hill for examples, you need a pretty serious vehicle to get there.
More accurately, to get out of there. After snapping the left front axle just before sundown; trying to pinch up through the chewed out wall partition on the XJ's 31s beyond Chesler Park returning from Beef Basin; ascending the backup section on Elephant Hill is especially thrilling, pitch dark and three wheel drive with the left axle banging all over and around the fork yoke. My passenger kept asking, "How's it going?" I kept saying, "We're not walking, yet.." Would have never gotten out of there without lockers. No country for stock Saharas. Got back to Squaw Flat, drank a lot of beer; broke camp next morning; bungied the axle, drove to Moab, got some bailing wire and duct tape and continued wheeling three more days. Back home, after grocery getting several weeks, got it fixed for 700 bucks including fork yoke; thrills and bragging rights, priceless! Broke motor mounts and had an electrical fire on Lockhart, but that's not a big deal.

This is the best string on the forum. so happy to see all you JL types actually wheeling despite risking your life's savings. Hell, a few more stimulus shots and your rides are paid off.

Last edited:

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Imogene, Cinnamon and Engineer Pass are my favorites in that area. Just north of Silverton there are a lot of shorter trails that just go in and back out. Imogene, Cinnamon and Engineer all connect over the mountains to somewhere else. If you have time you can take Cinnamon over the mountains to Lake City, spend the night there, and then come back Engineer Pass. We did 3 particular trails in my wife's Grand Cherokee. She wouldn't let me do Black Bear Pass so I can't talk about it. It might be too tense to be fun.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
How difficult is it to pull one of those?
Pull the wheel, brake caliper, brake disk, center hub, then pull out the axle. It doesn't do much good to pull it out if you don't have a new one to put back in.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
Not as lucky as those in CO or norcal but it's pretty awesome nonetheless.
You ought to read Tigerman's story over in the TJ forum. He rolled several times landing on all fours just above where it looks like your photo was taken. He salvaged his TJ to cherry. Admirable!

Picture 4.jpg

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Imogene, Cinnamon and Engineer Pass are my favorites in that area. Just north of Silverton there are a lot of shorter trails that just go in and back out. Imogene, Cinnamon and Engineer all connect over the mountains to somewhere else. If you have time you can take Cinnamon over the mountains to Lake City, spend the night there, and then come back Engineer Pass. We did 3 particular trails in my wife's Grand Cherokee. She wouldn't let me do Black Bear Pass so I can't talk about it. It might be too tense to be fun.
One the way up To Imogene, it’s fun to drive up Yankee Basin...fun trail and several beautiful waterfalls. I’ve done most of these trails in a Jeep..and last summer on my KTM 500 Excf. The Jeep is much slower but easier on the body of a 60 year old..
Sponsored