Who actually takes their JL offroad?

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
My goal with my Jeep is not to find some super ugly trail and drive it for the purpose of driving the trail. Rather, I want my Jeep to take me to places ā€”- said another way - the trail is not the destination Rather, it needs to lead to one. Maybe thatā€™s on old mining camp or maybe itā€™s Sailing Stones in DV or maybe itā€™s the tallest mountain in the county or maybe itā€™s........ For me the lure of the trail is not the trail. I donā€™t see myself doing the badge of honor thing. Itā€™s just not me.

many of those ā€˜destinationsā€™ can be achieved with a far less capable vehicle than my (mostly stock) rubicon. So, why did I buy a Rubicon? Because it has all the capability that I might need if I do find myself in trouble and, frankly, I like how it looks.

Iā€™m not a rock crawler. Iā€™m not a mall crawler. I am somewhere in between.
Same here! For me it's fish'n holes and backcountry ski destinations and even some hikes start after a long drive on rough dirt roads.

Last year I was coming back from a huge day hike on Mt. Lola and I saw this lady leaving in her VW Touareg. After about an half hour I started driving on the way out and I noticed a small rock sticking up in the road with a puddle of oil after it and then a long line of oil for about a mile and a half. Turns out that long line of oil was a trail of bread-crumbs that lead right to that same lady in her Touareg -- who was pulled over to the side of the road getting hooked up to a tow truck!
I cruised right over that rock and was thinking that I'm sure glad I got a Wrangler. Even though its not lifted yet it still is a lot more capable than any other vehicle, even those that are supposed to be off-road capable.

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
I think the shorter answer should be to ask ... who doesn't?

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I think the shorter answer should be to ask ... who doesn't?
While I agree with @damonic that the thread would be shorter do to the nature of this board, I believe that a significant majority of Jeep owners never go off-road. Not sure why I believe that but, I do.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Every day its not snowing and I can fish

bboyk

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR,16 Siverado; 61 & 02 Vettes, 67 Camaro
Occupation
Finally retired! Futures industry executive
Got mine in April 2019. Immediately had the upgrades done. Took it to CO in July to visit my son. did a couple of days on mountain service roads. Still looks new.

20190722_140219.jpg

Llkindt

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu sport s
My son is 11, has approximately 5 years before he can drive, and then another two years before he could obtain a parking space at the high school. The way I see it is to baby the jl and then pass the torch on to him and my daughter, and get myself a new one! Reverse psychology on the wife....it's a win, win! Besides what 17 year old would not want to pull up at high school with a jl, top off, sitting on 4 inch lift and 35's? I just need to learn to follow my own reasonings another sales pitch tooo the wife is we live in the Midwest, 4 wheel drive is not a luxury, it's a necessity! Safety first gentlemen, safety first! Oh and Ladies

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
My son is 11, has approximately 5 years before he can drive, and then another two years before he could obtain a parking space at the high school. The way I see it is to baby the jl and then pass the torch on to him and my daughter, and get myself a new one! Reverse psychology on the wife....it's a win, win! Besides what 17 year old would not want to pull up at high school with a jl, top off, sitting on 4 inch lift and 35's? I just need to learn to follow my own reasonings another sales pitch tooo the wife is we live in the Midwest, 4 wheel drive is not a luxury, it's a necessity! Safety first gentlemen, safety first! Oh and Ladies
Your son will be a Chick Magnet in that thing!

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Same here! For me it's fish'n holes and backcountry ski destinations and even some hikes start after a long drive on rough dirt roads.

Last year I was coming back from a huge day hike on Mt. Lola and I saw this lady leaving in her VW Touareg. After about an half hour I started driving on the way out and I noticed a small rock sticking up in the road with a puddle of oil after it and then a long line of oil for about a mile and a half. Turns out that long line of oil was a trail of bread-crumbs that lead right to that same lady in her Touareg -- who was pulled over to the side of the road getting hooked up to a tow truck!
I cruised right over that rock and was thinking that I'm sure glad I got a Wrangler. Even though its not lifted yet it still is a lot more capable than any other vehicle, even those that are supposed to be off-road capable.
Well said.

i canā€™t envision a time when I will ā€œneedā€ my Rubicon to be a Rubicon. But, I know, I Just know, that on that easy-peezy trail to the mining camp for some sunrise photography, I am going to encounter that rock and it will be comforting to know that I can get over it with ease.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I have a 2019 4 door Rubicon that I got last year for the family to enjoy on the weekends. We gone to a few state parks but mainly rider around town. I have a 2 door 13 Rubicon on 37" that is setup as a pretty legit rock crawler. I've met a group of guys that go to a Jeep "badge trail" once a month or so and actually ride. We've scuffed up some paint, hardtops, bent a driveshaft or 2 and for sure scraped up some wheels. I've noticed their 4 doors go up steep, wet rocky inclines better than my short bus and that's got me looking for a 4 door to wheel. My question is, how do yall feel about actually off-roading your 1 year old 50K JL?

I know I can take the top off, get some skids and go to town, but I know I will eventually back up into a tree. Slide off a wet rock and scratch up/ dent some stuff. Just curious how many actually do this or am I nuts?

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I have a 2019 4 door Rubicon that I got last year for the family to enjoy on the weekends. We gone to a few state parks but mainly rider around town. I have a 2 door 13 Rubicon on 37" that is setup as a pretty legit rock crawler. I've met a group of guys that go to a Jeep "badge trail" once a month or so and actually ride. We've scuffed up some paint, hardtops, bent a driveshaft or 2 and for sure scraped up some wheels. I've noticed their 4 doors go up steep, wet rocky inclines better than my short bus and that's got me looking for a 4 door to wheel. My question is, how do yall feel about actually off-roading your 1 year old 50K JL?

I know I can take the top off, get some skids and go to town, but I know I will eventually back up into a tree. Slide off a wet rock and scratch up/ dent some stuff. Just curious how many actually do this or am I nuts?
Took mine to the mountains well before I had plates.

Been to CA deserts and Ouray rock tastic sights... I have not done crazy rock crawling but it will happen. Was supposed to have already been to Moab, but that and Ouray will happen again this year.

20180630_153817-jpg.jpg

20180630_164215-jpg.jpg

20190205_112704-jpg.jpg

img_2575-jpg.jpg

img_2680-jpg.jpg

img_2806-jpg.jpg

img_2869-jpg.jpg

The best thing about getting out and exploring is meeting all the great people out there.

img_6745-jpg.jpg

Even if it's just dirt roads leading to an unknown town or a fantastic out of the way brewery, go play. That's what you bought this particular toy for isn't it? :beer:

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL

If I decide to go on an adventure ( I would like to a lot more), I dont let the road stop me. I go til I cant. Then I put it in reverse back up to a nice place and relax. You would be surprised at how well the JL performs. I have had 6 Jeeps from 1975 on and this Jeep is the best built (almost too nice) and the best suspension, power train, engine. Of course I would argue old school vs the new stuff as well. But the point being, if you got it, use it. You didnt pay to look at it in the garage.
Sponsored