Sponsored

Who actually takes their JL offroad?

Semaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 71 Chevelle 65 mustang
I have a 2019 4 door Rubicon that I got last year for the family to enjoy on the weekends. We gone to a few state parks but mainly rider around town. I have a 2 door 13 Rubicon on 37" that is setup as a pretty legit rock crawler. I've met a group of guys that go to a Jeep "badge trail" once a month or so and actually ride. We've scuffed up some paint, hardtops, bent a driveshaft or 2 and for sure scraped up some wheels. I've noticed their 4 doors go up steep, wet rocky inclines better than my short bus and that's got me looking for a 4 door to wheel. My question is, how do yall feel about actually off-roading your 1 year old 50K JL?

I know I can take the top off, get some skids and go to town, but I know I will eventually back up into a tree. Slide off a wet rock and scratch up/ dent some stuff. Just curious how many actually do this or am I nuts?
Sponsored

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Most don’t, but plenty do.
I came from a TJ that went from daily driver to rock crawler. The JL costs too much (for us) to bang on it, at least at this stage of it’s life. Now that we have kids, our approach is a little different. But we do take it crawling and, for the most part, keep to the milder trails. It’s our family hauler so we baby it a little more than I’d like to a lot of times. In a few years it will likely progress into more of a toy than a daily driver and we are also trying to keep that progression slower than our last Jeep experienced. We will see...
I guess what it comes down to is if you want to, and you can afford it, go for it.

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
My JLUR is a 3rd vehicle, so I take it off road no problem. If it were my daily driver, I may not be so willing. That being said, I am not willing to beat it to death yet, so I take the milder route most times. And, there’s not true rock crawling in the Mid-west sense here in NC. I’m with Will in saying that it’s just not time in it’s life yet for the heavy stuff....

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The second scratch is certainly more bearable than the first. Lots of us wheel our new JL’s.

Mine’s a daily driver when not on the trails. So far I haven’t dented any body panels, but there is plenty of pinstriping to the paint and impacts to the underbody. Front license plate is crumpled and rear bumper doesn’t sit level anymore. (Stock steel bumper)

Every scratch and issue is a badge hard earned and worth the story they tell. Especially that one where I had to pull an axle shaft on a trail in Moab...

Sponsored

OP
OP

Semaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 71 Chevelle 65 mustang
Most don’t, but plenty do.
I came from a TJ that went from daily driver to rock crawler. The JL costs too much (for us) to bang on it, at least at this stage of it’s life. Now that we have kids, our approach is a little different. But we do take it crawling and, for the most part, keep to the milder trails. It’s our family hauler so we baby it a little more than I’d like to a lot of times. In a few years it will likely progress into more of a toy than a daily driver and we are also trying to keep that progression slower than our last Jeep experienced. We will see...
I guess what it comes down to is if you want to, and you can afford it, go for it.
I've taken the JL 2-3 times and stayed on 2's and 3's ( on a 5 point system). You know how it goes, you see a group do a trail and you wana go.... I don't want to be nervous the whole time that I'm going to tear something up. My JK already has scratches and bruises so it doesn't bother me. I can't decide whether just to do it and get over it or not ;-).

dajaga

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport
I've taken the JL 2-3 times and stayed on 2's and 3's ( on a 5 point system). You know how it goes, you see a group do a trail and you wana go.... I don't want to be nervous the whole time that I'm going to tear something up. My JK already has scratches and bruises so it doesn't bother me. I can't decide whether just to do it and get over it or not ;-).
Oh man my first time taking my jlu out in the bush was hard, hearing all the scrathces happen, bottomed out a couple times, second time going was easier, third was ah eff it scratches happen, but if you got a beater might as well drive that into the ground and use the jl as a DD.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Just bought a new JlUR...setting it up with skids, 2” lift, 35s& winch. Have a lot of $$ into this thing but will take it to Colorado several times this summer. Don’t want to tear it up but will do moderate To sometimes difficult trails. Will have plenty of under armor to bang around on and wheels will get scratched. I don’t want body damage. Last summer with my JKUR similar set up I messed up a drive shaft winching over stuff a little too much for the Jeep. Lesson learned...pay attention to the limits of a daily driver. These thing look good, but should be enjoyed...life can be short.

HackedJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
At first it doesn't feel right but then you realize it's a nice luxury. Unless you're mudding, offroading a new vehicle isn't much to worry about. Not many trails that are that difficult tbh

I'd rather take a new vehicle fresh off the lot offroading vs 5 years in when I consider it slaughtered. Who knows what's gonna break at that point naturally

IMG_20200511_143851.jpg

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
If by off-roading you mean taking it on service or mountain/logging roads, then yes, I do :)

But that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be staggeringly fun, I had a blast of a time exploring all these amazing places with just a bit of light “off-roading”.
Jeep Wrangler JL Who actually takes their JL offroad? 4DCF3F5D-0473-49C2-BEB4-E388DB668638

Jeep Wrangler JL Who actually takes their JL offroad? 7FE643BF-7345-4272-9EEA-3EFB93F7022B

Jeep Wrangler JL Who actually takes their JL offroad? C8DAD15B-5E05-4137-8A65-F49481DC5018

Jeep Wrangler JL Who actually takes their JL offroad? 5440D326-ADAC-4AB1-8EF1-7F9DA1C61FAB

Jeep Wrangler JL Who actually takes their JL offroad? EC1A561C-06AE-4486-82D8-14AE5EE7D4E3

BE461C52-D459-41FE-A4EF-6321B584E061.jpeg

Last edited:

desync0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport in Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
I will eventually, I bought it 2 weeks before the planet shutdown so I'm a little behind with my plans lol

Doesn't help the border's shutdown and all the places to wheel that aren't an 8 hour drive are in Michigan.