First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
If you have already done a green guided at Rausch, I have to assume that the 101 course would be very similar. The 201 maybe a little more intense, but I would assume the 101 and the guy that are similar. Did they explain many things to you prior to your departure? Understand, there was Zero classroom time it was all in the field. However, the instructor did explain a lot over the radio. Again, she was cautious, but I don't think any of them want to have a wreck under their watch. I can't say I blame them.
Our guide at Rausch did not explain much or give any tips. The guide at Aoaa was much more involved. I get that the instructions say no teaching. Like he never told us there were often two paths to take up the same path, an easy way and a more difficult way. After lunch he did describe things more.

Advertisement

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 3.6L & 2020 JLUS 2.0L
Occupation
Finance
I have a 2019 4 door Rubicon that I got last year for the family to enjoy on the weekends. We gone to a few state parks but mainly rider around town. I have a 2 door 13 Rubicon on 37" that is setup as a pretty legit rock crawler. I've met a group of guys that go to a Jeep "badge trail" once a month or so and actually ride. We've scuffed up some paint, hardtops, bent a driveshaft or 2 and for sure scraped up some wheels. I've noticed their 4 doors go up steep, wet rocky inclines better than my short bus and that's got me looking for a 4 door to wheel. My question is, how do yall feel about actually off-roading your 1 year old 50K JL?

I know I can take the top off, get some skids and go to town, but I know I will eventually back up into a tree. Slide off a wet rock and scratch up/ dent some stuff. Just curious how many actually do this or am I nuts?
As you can see from the 32 pages of replies - HELL YHEA! WE"RE GONNA BEAT THE S OUT OF IT!!!! Pinstriping and rusty scratches on the undercarriage are a badge of honor. Just GET OUT ON THE TRAIL ... your stock machine is already WAY capable. Start off on the park road, then go for a 2 -- just try it. Don't forget to have a full tank of gas, lots of water, a buddy and sunscreen. Your build list/order will be driven by your time on the trail. Get involved in a local club so you can learn by doing ... One thing I can say - prioritize the rock rails and underarmor before all that interior cosmetic stuff, lights, etc. I now have growing pile of OEM and cosmetic parts that I've taken off. I just want bigger tires, tougher axles and more time on the trails to improve my driving ability and learn how to fix broken stuff (hopefully on other people's Jeeps). So, yhea, stop thining about it and just go do it!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
not my work, taken and retouched by a talented young lady fron a recent trip to Rausch.
I am headed to Rausch Creek next week.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I'm not into rock crawling or mud slinging. I know beach driving is not typically what comes to mind when the term off roading is mentioned. But, just give me a 4x4 accessible beach to explore and some fishing gear any day and I'll enjoy it just as much. It's off roading and a fishing trip combined! Maybe a little swimming mixed in there too.

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
I'm not into rock crawling or mud slinging. I know beach driving is not typically what comes to mind when the term off roading is mentioned. But, just give me a 4x4 accessible beach to explore and some fishing gear any day and I'll enjoy it just as much. It's off roading and a fishing trip combined! Maybe a little swimming mixed in there too.
I am with you brother.

A8DD3887-F73E-4CB1-878D-3CFD9CAAF446.jpeg

EB7B4892-361B-4BC7-9321-B0FEAD9A4B84.jpeg

52600700-7BAD-493E-BF70-5AFFDB45A410.jpeg

63E23B92-5767-4248-8679-89F54457B6D4.jpeg

dski

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubi 4dr
Occupation
small business owner
I've done a couple jeep jamborees (big horn mtns and drummond island) but I primarily use my jeep to launch a drift boat at our snowed in ramps (michigan).

I also use it as an overlander. Spent a lot of time car camping in it in remote Canada (Labrador, Northwest Territories, etc). My thumbnail is from the Yukon.

Nothing for miles and miles the farther north you get...this is the tundra in Alaska.

DSC09155 - Copy.jpg

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I like to offroad my JL quite a bit. If you look super super close, you may find it here.

44615890462_8746b5a1bb_3k.jpg

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
Overlander here, got rock crawling out of my veins long ago. Nice 800-1000 miles or more trips that last a week or longer. Have done all of the BDRs, Heart of West Trail and many more. Figure I do an average of 4000 or more miles a year off road.

TimothyFS

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Reached my highes level of incompetence - Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've taken the JL 2-3 times and stayed on 2's and 3's ( on a 5 point system). You know how it goes, you see a group do a trail and you wana go.... I don't want to be nervous the whole time that I'm going to tear something up. My JK already has scratches and bruises so it doesn't bother me. I can't decide whether just to do it and get over it or not ;-).
We call them scratches here in Arizona, "Arizona Pinstripes.."

Advertisement

Stinger Off-Road

Advertisement