Who actually takes their JL offroad?

T-Rock_Sahara

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara JLU
Come out to AZ and you will see LOTS of JL's on trails. Some hard-core, some medium and easy. I see dozens of JL's when I am out on trails. I have a 2019 Sahara JLU, 2.5" metalcloak lift & 34" tires...I try to avoid banging it up, and am pretty successful.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
That Mustang was quite a bit better than that: 302 V8; 205 HP 270 lb-ft torque; 3sp manual; 22mpg spinning 2100 rpm at 70mph; 16 in town; limited slip rear end. Quote: "very well designed and strong engine. in stock form the 302 is a reliable and torqie engine that gives excellent gas mileage and long life when maintained and used within its limits."

Descending the steepish Northwest side of Cinnamon going down to Animas Forks, I turned off the engine keeping it in first, rarely needing to touch the brakes. The car was $2900 factory delivered to me June of '69. Sold it for twice what I paid on delivery after 205,000 trouble free miles. Bought a 4 door Subaru, then the XJ.
I miss my Mustang.... bout it when I was 17... paid $1,800 for it.... '69 428 SCJ Mach 1 red with black flip down rear seat..... God do I miss that car..

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
bout it when I was 17... paid $1,800 for it.
Mid to late '60s....you can't believe what was available for $400-$2000. My net worth in cars throwing papers to pay for them and college was more than it is today. Bought a '54 100 Healey LeMans for $375! {"In all, 640 100Ms were built by the factory. The 100M components (including the high compression 5 ring aluminum pistons) were in the Le Mans Engine ...
Engine‎: ‎2660 cc I4
Transmission‎: ‎3-speed (series BN1) or 4-speed ...
Production‎: ‎1953–1956}
These were rare when they were built. The included bench shop manual was leather bound!
Had to replace reverse, a straight tooth granny gear. In reassembling the gearbox I discovered reverse was pinned out by factory occupying a normal H pattern 1st gear position. Removed the pin, Voila! Compound low first gear sans synchromesh. Next little Easter Egg was discovering that the 30% reduction overdrive solenoid could be engaged in every gear after that pin was removed making it an 8 speed tranny... 4 manual + 4 clutchless overdrive. Flattening the wind screen and removing seat cushions so your head was even with dash permitted 140 mph taching 3200 rpm with a 32" profile. I got it up to 126 mph 2900 rpm. My car had the removable fiberglass hard top. All my photos of that machine were lost in a fire. The engine even had an insert for crank starting. Traded it in for an 18 month old 289 4sp '65 Mustang. Brother also threw papers. His first car bought for $900 was a '56 T Bird! I tested a '62 XKE for $1800 and settled for the Mustang at the same price because I didn't want to be a mechanic while taking engineering. XK 140 Jaguars went for $600. Only now do I know how good those years were. No one wanted exotics back then. I learned driving manual transmissions in a '57 $400 repossessed Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider. Took a lot of things for granted believing the future was only going to get better. All in all, though, speed and style can't displace the Jeep experience.

Jeep Wrangler JL Who actually takes their JL offroad? Healey M100 Lemans

McCoys

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Reminds me of Steeles Avenue in the GTA, it sits on the boundary of Toronto and Markham. Neither city would allow they were responsible for maintaining the surface. It was worse than running some trails in places.
im rolling laughing cuz I live here and its kind of true

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
First time i took mine out it still had paper tags so <1 year old... JL. Every opportunity i get. Not as crazy as some of the rigs on this thread, but as I’ve said 1,001 times stock it’ll do enough to make most people pee the seat without destroying it
edit knew a had an old pic somewhere - still had paper tags on the rubi on this trip lol!

Jeep Wrangler JL Who actually takes their JL offroad? Healey M100 Lemans
“Stock .....it’ll do enough to make most people pee the seat without destroying it”

FULLY agree. Most of the time with my nearly stock Rubi, I need to pack a dozen Depends To protect the leather and my jeans and there Is nary a rock in sight.

Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
usually Toyota Camrys and Honda Accords and the occasional American fullsize sedan.
My first time at top of Yankee Boy was on a '67 camping trip in my friend's '62 Galaxy convertible. His big block allowed us to Idle over obstacles limiting any damage from dragging. Never been on a smoother ride over that trail LOL! The Six Day War with Egypt started when we left and ended when we got home. A few years later, I returned the favor in my '61 three door 2wd Ford Crew Cab. Also, took in-laws over Imogene in that truck, changing a flat on the Ouray side of summit. Got a slide somewhere of a Mercedes 450SL turnning around at the end of Yankee Boy. Also have a photo somewhere of a '59 VW top of Engineer. Moab trails require a bigger boat.
Sponsored