Sponsored

Who’s running Milestar Patagonia’s? Pros/cons?

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I support all the general convo on these tires. I am nearly at the end of my 1st set, currently around 18k miles. There may be a few thousand more in there. These were my first set on my JL. I have like them for the performance and price, but they obviously wear way too quick. I will most likely go to STT pros and not look back at the Pats, unless I run into a financial concern. Overall, I did like them, but make sure you rotate often and set an expectation of not long lasting. If you plan to run beadlocks and you don’t mount them yourself, there’s additional cost there....especially with going through tire sets more often.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I support all the general convo on these tires. I am nearly at the end of my 1st set, currently around 18k miles. There may be a few thousand more in there. These were my first set on my JL. I have like them for the performance and price, but they obviously wear way too quick. I will most likely go to STT pros and not look back at the Pats, unless I run into a financial concern. Overall, I did like them, but make sure you rotate often and set an expectation of not long lasting. If you plan to run beadlocks and you don’t mount them yourself, there’s additional cost there....especially with going through tire sets more often.
This is something that I don’t understand. I’ve seen lots of others comment on short tread life as well. I just took my first set off and replaced them with another one. I have about 24K miles on them with even wear and 11/32 left.

I’m certain that there are plenty of tires out there that perform much better for on road use and for off-road use. But I’m not certain there are many that handle both tasks as well as they do that are anywhere close in price range. IMO they’re not fantastic and they don’t suck (others have different experience) but nothing is better that costs the same. My experience is strictly my own and more limited than most.

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab
This is something that I don’t understand. I’ve seen lots of others comment on short tread life as well. I just took my first set off and replaced them with another one. I have about 24K miles on them with even wear and 11/32 left.

I’m certain that there are plenty of tires out there that perform much better for on road use and for off-road use. But I’m not certain there are many that handle both tasks as well as they do that are anywhere close in price range. IMO they’re not fantastic and they don’t suck (others have different experience) but nothing is better that costs the same. My experience is strictly my own and more limited than most.
Glad you’re been digging them. Now where’s the pics with the 37s mounted??? On your build thread?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Glad you’re been digging them. Now where’s the pics with the 37s mounted??? On your build thread?
In progress. Got them put on yesterday. Got them off already today installing MC lift. Probably within the next few days. It’ll be in my build thread.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

I agree with what you said of “in the middle of the road” type of tire. I have 18k and there’s still tread. I’m not at the end. I’m guessing I’ll get 26k ish. But we’ll see. I think the weird thing about these is how variable peoples experience is with them. They’re not seeming to be as consistent wear as a lot of other tires. They are good for what they are.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I agree with what you said of “in the middle of the road” type of tire. I have 18k and there’s still tread. I’m not at the end. I’m guessing I’ll get 26k ish. But we’ll see. I think the weird thing about these is how variable peoples experience is with them. They’re not seeming to be as consistent wear as a lot of other tires. They are good for what they are.
Right. They’re not the greatest tire in the world. They’re not hot garbage. But many opinions seem to skew to the extreme ends of the scale for some reason.

As for wear I can’t figure that one out. I got 24K miles wearing off 7/32. Even if the wear accelerates, it’s not unreasonable to expect another 16K in the next 7/32 if they were worn down to 4/32 before they die. 40K ain’t bad IMO. They will get noisier over that time.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
In one word... NO.

Ran them on my wife's Jeep for around 15k miles then sold them. They wear quick, they are stiff sidewalls, didn't feel planted in the rain. Off road they did have some good bite new BUT we never wheeled them when they were worn because we sold them.

We both run 37" Cooper STT pros and are very pleased. Yes, they are louder than the Pats but they are also a true off road tire. The Pats are really a hybrid tire with an all terrain strip down the middle and lugs on the outer edge. That's how they run quiet. It's also a very round tire compared to most off road tires, that means you are typically running on center portion only, again giving it a more quiet ride but wearing down the center way faster than the overall tire.
You CAN NOT run those Pats below 32 psi, they will wear all funky. We run our STTs at 26 psi which produces a very flat full contact on the road vs. the Pats center contact.

To each his own, but I think you'd be better off with a different tire.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I have them on my 2 door. Not going to be buying again when they wear out. The main problem I have with them is wet road traction. Actually the lack of braking traction on wet roads is what is the problem is. And I'm in Northern CA, so all summer we get no rain, then all winter it rains a ton. So it is a problem.

Off road, if you air them down a bit they are great. But not worth it to me.

I need more traction in the rain and snow. So I'll either be getting ridge grapplers or ko2s.

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon
We like em...running 35s and pretty quiet on highways and does great off-road aired down. Grips pretty good. For the price - the value is great and they look good too!

Matt_ConeTX

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ
I run a set of 35s on my TJ and 38s on our JLUR. I am highly impressed. Noise is a huge factor for us. I can talk on the phone running 70 mph in the TJ. No way that would happen with my old KM2s. We might only get 30k out of the Pats but it has been my experience with any mud terrain tire that after 20k you're going to start experiencing balancing and noise issues.

Somebody mentioned earlier the importance of a 5 tire rotation, proper air pressure, and routine balancing. I think that's the key to running a soft compound tire like the Patagonia.

Sponsored

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I ran these tires on a Dodge Ram back in 2016-2017 time frame, before they had received all the YouTube press and were fairly unknown, at least nobody I knew had ever heard of them. I got them on Amazon for some ridiculous price, like $411 shipped for 4. They were honestly terrible. 3 of them took my 4x4 shop an obscene amount of weight to balance, and the 4th they gave up on. They were decent for highway driving in dry weather, and thats honestly about it. Offroad they performed about as well as a middle of the run AT tire, and were atrocious on wet pavement. Like to the point that I drove a different vehicle if it rained.

I am enjoying the Destination MT2s that came stock on my Willys, overall a great performer with minimal road noise for an MT tire. I would be set on buying them again when needed, but the wet pavement is lacking. I've experienced much worse (looking at you milestar), but I've also experienced much better. To be honest, I'll probably just go back to running retreaded tires, even if they aren't the steal of a price they used to be 10-15 years ago.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
In one word... NO.

Ran them on my wife's Jeep for around 15k miles then sold them. They wear quick, they are stiff sidewalls, didn't feel planted in the rain. Off road they did have some good bite new BUT we never wheeled them when they were worn because we sold them.

We both run 37" Cooper STT pros and are very pleased. Yes, they are louder than the Pats but they are also a true off road tire. The Pats are really a hybrid tire with an all terrain strip down the middle and lugs on the outer edge. That's how they run quiet. It's also a very round tire compared to most off road tires, that means you are typically running on center portion only, again giving it a more quiet ride but wearing down the center way faster than the overall tire.
You CAN NOT run those Pats below 32 psi, they will wear all funky. We run our STTs at 26 psi which produces a very flat full contact on the road vs. the Pats center contact.

To each his own, but I think you'd be better off with a different tire.
YEp what mike and @wibornz said... plus my Coopers are 100% American only 1 other tire manufacture can say that..... love the tire.... will never look back....

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
YEp what mike and @wibornz said... plus my Coopers are 100% American only 1 other tire manufacture can say that..... love the tire.... will never look back....
I've been inside their facility here in Ohio many times working on their CNC machines for making their molds. Their maintenance guy said if I brought my Jeep up there he could get me an awesome discount on a new set of whatever coopers I want. I was nervous about it though. I've only ever had one set of coopers. Discoverer STT PROs that are on my F250 right now. I hate them so much. They are beyond loud, mediocre at best off road. Ok on dry pavement, dont believe I've had them on wet roads.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I've been inside their facility here in Ohio many times working on their CNC machines for making their molds. Their maintenance guy said if I brought my Jeep up there he could get me an awesome discount on a new set of whatever coopers I want. I was nervous about it though. I've only ever had one set of coopers. Discoverer STT PROs that are on my F250 right now. I hate them so much. They are beyond loud, mediocre at best off road. Ok on dry pavement, dont believe I've had them on wet roads.
Bro if I drive up next time I am home do you think you could introduce him to me? I have never had an issue with them and run them on my F350 dually actually both of them, not STT Pros but MAXX. I have never had any issues with mine but I only run mine around 24 PSI because they have a tendency to increase pressure when traveling. I also increase pressure when towing as well or hauling in my trucks. It will reduce the noise and create a flatter more square foot print.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Love my 35 pats both for the price and that they look great, especially when they're dirty. Quiet on the highway too. Done plenty of side by side wheeling with another 2 door on 35 KM3s and I do think the KM3s hook up a little bit better on the most technical of obstacles, but for my first set of tires after the 33" KO2s I feel great about their performance, especially at $650 cheaper than a set of 5 KM3s. We'll see where I go after this set, got 6k on them at the moment. The combination of MT, acceptable volume at highway speed, good performance and looks, price, and weight are hard to beat for me.

Best MT in the world? No, but an absolute steal for 90% of the performance.
Jeep Wrangler JL Who’s running Milestar Patagonia’s? Pros/cons? 53BE7D55-97DB-4091-BC21-AA5D925C628A_1_105_c
Sponsored