Sponsored

Who’s running Milestar Patagonia’s? Pros/cons?

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab
man. Just not sure what I should
Do. If I was gonna out 15-20k miles a year on them, and do a lot of wheeling, I feel like I should invest more money in tires. But I’m not. Like I said I have been putting roughly 100-150 miles a week on our 3.0. Should I drop $2060 on tires? Or spend 1440? Need to find a middle ground tire.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
$1000 is a lot of money, but it’s not a lot to spend on a set of 37” tires. If you don’t like them, sell them and recoup what you can and get something else.

I’m about to get rid of a set of 35s with 20K miles on them that are in good shape and plenty of tread left on them. It’ll be an opportunity for someone who’s maybe not quite sure to try them out on the cheap.

I’m taking off my OEM Rubicon wheels with the 35” Patty’s on them. If you’re anywhere in the greater Houston area you can come get them and put them on your Jeep and try them out for a week or two and see how you like them.

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$1000 is a lot of money, but it’s not a lot to spend on a set of 37” tires. If you don’t like them, sell them and recoup what you can and get something else.

I’m about to get rid of a set of 35s with 20K miles on them that are in good shape and plenty of tread left on them. It’ll be an opportunity for someone who’s maybe not quite sure to try them out on the cheap.

I’m taking off my OEM Rubicon wheels with the 35” Patty’s on them. If you’re anywhere in the greater Houston area you can come get them and put them on your Jeep and try them out for a week or two and see how you like them.
Thanks for the offer. I’m nowhere near Houston, but I appreciate it anyway. Gonna keep doing more research.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
been using Patagonias from 33 , 35 , 37 ,38 now
if i am going to 40's i will get the Patagonia again
no road noise Local street or Highway love this thing can't go wrong with it
some people had problems with balancing , but i never had those problem just need to find a smart person who can balance correct way with this tires
all my friends used this after expensive tires
but everyone has different taste :)
How many miles do you have on your Jeep?

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I ran 37" Pats on my JLUR for about 28k miles. They still have enough life to sell them for around 300 bucks (more on that in a bit). Performed 5 tire rotation every oil change, which happened at around 5k miles (yes I know the interval is longer)

I'd say I wheel more on the "extreme" side compared to most of the folks on here (specifically target the hardest difficulty trails at the places we visit, don't always make it lol)

TL;DR:
We ran these tires for almost 2 years and 28k miles. I wasn't unhappy with them during their lifetime, but I won't buy them again. The BFG KM3 ride much nicer on road, zero shimmy, surprisingly similar MPG, same noise level, and crawl much better on proportionally sized rocks (39s vs 37s).

Advice:
Rebalance them every year or ~8k miles for the best lifespan.

Here's my review:

PERFORMANCE:
Offroad, they were decent. Typically I could bump my way over anything that I couldn't crawl, but there were exceptions of course. Running beadlocks let me air down to around 7-8psi which likely made up for the shortcomings that some folks might experience on standard wheels airing down to 12-15psi.
On-road, as others have mentioned, they're pretty quiet. I never had any "oh shit" moments in the rain nor do I race my jeep (I have a dedicated track car for that, I'll make that relevant in a bit). That said, there were times that I'd hit standing water on the side of the road and wish that they evactuated water a bit better.

LOOKS:
They're not the most attractive M/T, but I wouldn't say that they're ugly. Other M/Ts are certainly more "rugged" looking. I'm now running BFG KM3 39s and apart from the obvious size difference, I like the looks of the Jeep much better.

NOISE:
I was fairly surprised and impressed with the lack of typical M/T noise. We could be topless and doorless and hold a normal volume conversation around 50mph, which was nice. That said, I don't find the KM3s to be any louder.

WEAR and BALANCING:
Saved the best for last, as this is usually the most hotly debated point about these tires. In short, they wore well until they didn't. For the first 20k miles the wear was consistent, but there was always a slight shimmy in the steering wheel at highway speeds and I wouldn't say that it was a "confident" driving experience. Normal alignment specs etc. Before you read this next sentence, a word of caution, don't adjust your Jeep's steering components after a 12pk. Adjusting the steering wheel after a wheeling trip, I accidentally adjusted the tie rod instead of the drag link. This gave me about 1/4" toe out, and this is where the problems began. Shortly after this, the wife took about a 1000 mile trip and when she got home, the driver front tire was EXTREMELY worn on the inner treads. This is OBVIOUSLY due to a bad alignment, but I was shocked at how quickly the tire wore down. This threw the balance out of whack on the tire, and when I realigned the toe for proper specs, the Jeep got immediate and severe death wobble going over the smallest imperfection in the road. So it stayed at toe out until I replaced the tires. Running 100 treadwear tires on my track car at extreme lateral loads on track has not worn those tires as badly as the Pats wore in those 1000 miles during that road trip.

Sponsored

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
Another perspective here (as if you really need more).
  • I put new wheels and tires (Patagonia 35s) on my JLUR in the first 500 miles. Got a great price for the tires and respectable $$ for essentially new takeoffs.
  • I’m right around 13,000 miles right now.
  • My JLUR has a manual transmission
  • I’ve never owned a wrangler before
  • I don’t drive all that much - Feb 9 will be the 2 year anniversary of me owning my wrangler - and I drive mostly local miles (trips of less than 20 miles round trip), comes out to about 100-150 miles a week.
  • I did a jeep trip in September from St.Louis, MO to CO/AZ where we earned 5 trail badges. (Was about 2,500 miles total)
    • Some of the other guys who have been jeepers much longer also recently put Patagonia 35s on just before the trip.

The bottom line sentiment so far has been, for the price they’re a great tire.
They are soft, so that makes them quiet and pretty grippy, but it also means they wear fast and can have balance issues. ( for the record, none of ours have had balance issues).
One of my buddies also mentioned that, based on the trails and rock climbing we did, he would have expected us to have a few treads pop off these tires in CO but that didn’t happen.

Like @WhiteJLUS i haven’t had any “oh shit” moments yet.
But I have had the tires break loose on wet pavement when accelerating (and I don’t accelerate all that hard.). More specifically, they want to break loose right after it starts raining (when the most oil is on the surface of the street) and when turning at the same time.

Note: this didn’t happen at all until about 10,000 miles. And I’m seeing an interesting pattern here, these tires get worse with wear faster than other tires, meaning the material is not consistent throughout, and people are swapping them out for new ones or different tires pretty frequently.

I will probably go with a different tire when I get new ones in a few years. The reasons:
  1. I like to try new things
  2. These tires have been good to me and MUCH quieter then I expected.
  3. They worked great on the trails (black bear, imogene, etc.)
  4. BUT I plan to keep my Jeep for at least 10 years. I personally am aware of the slippage but my wife and also my daughter, who will be driving in a few years) are not. So, with the probability of both of them driving my wrangler, it scares the crap out of me that they may get hurt in it. *insert mental image of new teenage driver with the top and doors off driving too fast to get home because it starts raining.*
Summing it up: As someone who
  1. mainly drives in a small town
  2. with some highway miles
  3. and wheels 2-4 times a year
  4. I know my wrangler inside and out including all of its quirks and it still breaks loose sometimes.
  5. My wife doesn’t want to know all of that, she just wants to drive my “fun jeep” sometimes.
  6. A new driver coming onboard in the next few years - who will see all vehicles the same, as toys to have fun.
All this put together in my brain says these are a budget tire with good performance out of the gates. They seem to be respectable for the price when new and when wheeling. On the road, after the newness wears off, I need a more “road worthy” and consistent tire. When you add 4, 5, 6 from above - it’s worth the extra $$ to me to go with a higher quality tire that will be safer on the road throughout the life of the tire.

Just one opinion.

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another perspective here (as if you really need more).
  • I put new wheels and tires (Patagonia 35s) on my JLUR in the first 500 miles. Got a great price for the tires and respectable $$ for essentially new takeoffs.
  • I’m right around 13,000 miles right now.
  • My JLUR has a manual transmission
  • I’ve never owned a wrangler before
  • I don’t drive all that much - Feb 9 will be the 2 year anniversary of me owning my wrangler - and I drive mostly local miles (trips of less than 20 miles round trip), comes out to about 100-150 miles a week.
  • I did a jeep trip in September from St.Louis, MO to CO/AZ where we earned 5 trail badges. (Was about 2,500 miles total)
    • Some of the other guys who have been jeepers much longer also recently put Patagonia 35s on just before the trip.

The bottom line sentiment so far has been, for the price they’re a great tire.
They are soft, so that makes them quiet and pretty grippy, but it also means they wear fast and can have balance issues. ( for the record, none of ours have had balance issues).
One of my buddies also mentioned that, based on the trails and rock climbing we did, he would have expected us to have a few treads pop off these tires in CO but that didn’t happen.

Like @WhiteJLUS i haven’t had any “oh shit” moments yet.
But I have had the tires break loose on wet pavement when accelerating (and I don’t accelerate all that hard.). More specifically, they want to break loose right after it starts raining (when the most oil is on the surface of the street) and when turning at the same time.

Note: this didn’t happen at all until about 10,000 miles. And I’m seeing an interesting pattern here, these tires get worse with wear faster than other tires, meaning the material is not consistent throughout, and people are swapping them out for new ones or different tires pretty frequently.

I will probably go with a different tire when I get new ones in a few years. The reasons:
  1. I like to try new things
  2. These tires have been good to me and MUCH quieter then I expected.
  3. They worked great on the trails (black bear, imogene, etc.)
  4. BUT I plan to keep my Jeep for at least 10 years. I personally am aware of the slippage but my wife and also my daughter, who will be driving in a few years) are not. So, with the probability of both of them driving my wrangler, it scares the crap out of me that they may get hurt in it. *insert mental image of new teenage driver with the top and doors off driving too fast to get home because it starts raining.*
Summing it up: As someone who
  1. mainly drives in a small town
  2. with some highway miles
  3. and wheels 2-4 times a year
  4. I know my wrangler inside and out including all of its quirks and it still breaks loose sometimes.
  5. My wife doesn’t want to know all of that, she just wants to drive my “fun jeep” sometimes.
  6. A new driver coming onboard in the next few years - who will see all vehicles the same, as toys to have fun.
All this put together in my brain says these are a budget tire with good performance out of the gates. They seem to be respectable for the price when new and when wheeling. On the road, after the newness wears off, I need a more “road worthy” and consistent tire. When you add 4, 5, 6 from above - it’s worth the extra $$ to me to go with a higher quality tire that will be safer on the road throughout the life of the tire.

Just one opinion.
I appreciate your input, everyone’s input really. I’m still digging as we speak on an alternative.

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Changed my mind on them. Went with 37x12.50/17 Maxxis Razr. Spent a little more money but I feel better about the decision. And I’m saving $300 over the KM3s.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Changed my mind on them. Went with 37x12.50/17 Maxxis Razr. Spent a little more money but I feel better about the decision. And I’m saving $300 over the KM3s.
Should be a solid choice, they get constantly good reviews and should perform well for your needs, and are a true M/T, not a hybrid. Might have to turn your stereo up a few notches though :)

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
New shoes, strut your stuff in those sexy beasts! Can’t wait to hear a little more once you get a few miles under your belt.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Let us know how they work out for you.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I find this tire very interesting. They did a great job and went out and got every Jeep youtuber a free set. They all raved about them. Of course they said it was a true unbiased opinion, yeah right.

All you need to know is none of them are running them any longer and have quietly moved on. I have never had them so can’t speak from experience but too many other options so I would not buy them.
Sponsored