Sponsored

Who’s running Milestar Patagonia’s? Pros/cons?

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab
Looking into this tire for my build possibly. Any info would be appreciated. Mild offroading at most. Mainly a mall crawler.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’m at the tire shop right now getting 37” Patagonias mounted on new wheels, to take the place of a set of 35” Patagonias that have about 20K miles or so.

They are quieter than I thought they’d be, but not as quiet as the OEM BFG. At 20K miles I do notice some noise now as they’ve worn, but not loud IMO and not as loud as some true mud tires brand new. Others riding with me don’t notice it.

They ride and handle better than I thought they would. Not amazing, but better than I expected. No balance issues. Wear is completely even all around.

I’ve taken them off-road about a dozen times or so and never run into anything they can’t handle. I’ve done light to moderate to somewhat challenging off-roading, mostly rocks and a little mud. Better on rocks than mud. I have yet to try anything where the tires are the limiting factor in not making it. Of course I know my limits and I’m not “hold my beer” guy.

@Northridge4x4 just had a sale, 5 in 37” size for $977. Too good for me to pass up.

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m at the tire shop right now getting 37” Patagonias mounted on new wheels, to take the place of a set of 35” Patagonias that have about 20K miles or so.

They are quieter than I thought they’d be, but not as quiet as the OEM BFG. At 20K miles I do notice some noise now as they’ve worn, but not loud IMO and not as loud as some true mud tires brand new. Others riding with me don’t notice it.

They ride and handle better than I thought they would. Not amazing, but better than I expected. No balance issues. Wear is completely even all around.

I’ve taken them off-road about a dozen times or so and never run into anything they can’t handle. I’ve done light to moderate to somewhat challenging off-roading, mostly rocks and a little mud. Better on rocks than mud. I have yet to try anything where the tires are the limiting factor in not making it. Of course I know my limits and I’m not “hold my beer” guy.

@Northridge4x4 just had a sale, 5 in 37” size for $977. Too good for me to pass up.
Sounds like they’re worth the money value wise. Good. $125 a tire cheaper than the KM3s I was gonna run

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have a set on a 98 shitbox XJ. They are the worst tires I have ever had. Just know that my 190 hp 23 year old XJ with 229,000+ miles can easiy overwhelm the available traction of these 33x12.5r15 with the stock gearing of 3.56. If the pavement is even little damp, the old XJ can spin them on a roll up to about 20 mph. The XJ old brakes, including drum. brakes in the back easily lock up the tires when the pavement is wet. To the point that I have to be aware and adjust to compensate for their poor braking ability.

You will have people tell you they are a great tire, but those same people are driving vehicle with traction control, stability control, and anti lock brakes. Their vehicle makes up for the poor performance of Milestar Patagonia tires. Will they perform off road, yes, just about every tire that is aired down to 6 or 7 psi will.

They are cheap tires and hey I get. That makes them attractive. Just know that you can buy other tires that may be $100 or more per tire, but those tires will outlast the Patagonia two or three times over. So any money you save will be lost.

Here are some videos of the Patagonia compared to the Cooper STT PRO tires. These videos are taken on a badge trail, Redbird in Indiana. The Coopers are aired to 10 psi as is the Patagonia. The coopers are 37x12.5r17 and the Patagonia are 35x12.5r17.

Bill jeep with cooper tires. Mind you, I am filming and already ran this with my JLUR.

THEN Bob with the Patagonia. He never was able to make the climb and had to take a different line. Note All the jeeps have the lockers on.

Then Phil was last. Just note that Phil stopped on the climb and then restarted without hardly spinning a tire

At the end of the day, it is your money to spend. I bought a set but they are on a 23 year old beater with a heater. I knew when I bought them, that I would never put 20,000 miles on my beater. I currently have 40,000 miles on my Cooper STT PRO tires and will easily get 55,000 out of them. If I would have put on the Milestar Patagonia, I would already be on the second set and getting ready for a third set, making the Patagonia way more expensive than the Cooper STT Pro tires.

I drive my JLUR all over the country as a drive to trail rig that is also towing a trailer. You will not find many who have put 30,000+ miles on a set of Patagonia tires. Most change them out at about 20,000 miles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks both of you. I don’t want to pay $400 plus for a BFG KM3. Here are my other choices: maxxis razr, Milestar, and Falken Wildpeak MT.

Sponsored

JaayyyeeeE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I ran 33” Patagonias A/T before I switched to 37” KO2s. They were smooth, quiet and LIGHT (47 lbs)

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ran 33” Patagonias A/T before I switched to 37” KO2s. They were smooth, quiet and LIGHT (47 lbs)
How many miles you get out of them? I know I won’t get 50k out of them. But just wondered. I’ve had my 3.0 11 weeks and it only has 2100 miles on it. Rarely drive it.

JaayyyeeeE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I didn’t have them long. Around 7k miles. They still looked brand new when I took them off. Just so you don’t make the same mistake as me, get two sizes bigger than you think you want, you’ll thank me later haha

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn’t have them long. Around 7k miles. They still looked brand new when I took them off. Just so you don’t make the same mistake as me, get two sizes bigger than you think you want, you’ll thank me later haha
Was wanting to run 37/12.5x17

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve bought 3 sets of 37s. I returned the last because they wouldn’t balance.

CONS: they are cheap tires so don’t expect to get a gazillion miles. They are nearly impossible to balance. They wear unevenly. They are basically a hybrid tire, not a MT. I don’t care what it says on the side. And they’re made in Indonesia not America

PROS: they are a cheap tire and even though they wear out faster than more expensive tires, you probably get your moneys worth. Because they’re a hybrid they run pretty quiet. They are very light for their size and weighted in such a way so fuel economy is much better than higher quality tires.

SUMMARY: They are a good choice if you’re willing to sacrifice the cons that others have mentioned. Just don’t expect too much and you won’t be disappointed.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I have about 10k miles on my 295/70/17 Pats, they are a decent tire for the price but I will be looking for a 3 peak snow rated tire for my next set. Mine are E-rated so they are a firmer ride but not at all obtrusive, they aren't noisy for the fairly aggressive tread and are wearing evenly and didn't take excessive weights to balance. They work pretty well off-road but the hybrid tread and rubber compound they run tend to slip more than a typical aggressive mud tire.

If you are wanting a M/T tire in the Pat price point I'd look at Kanati Mud Hogs and the Maxxis Razr, these are true Mud tires so they will be louder but will perform better when the going gets rough.

Just my 2cs & FWIW my next set will probably be Kanati Trail Hogs since I want the 3 peak snows, Toyo AT3s, or the newest Mickey Thompson ATs if I can stretch the budget a bit

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I said, I barely drive my 3.0. Not sure how much wheeling I’ll do. We just mainly do our running around on the weekends in it. Never done any off-roading at all ever lol. But I’m wanting to start. Just not sure how much I want to spend on tires. My wife’s 3/4 ton is her DD so we always put good tires on her truck. Running Toyo MTs on hers. 3rd set. Also, I live in Texas. Rarely any snow to deal with, mainly mud

Biconia

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
been using Patagonias from 33 , 35 , 37 ,38 now
if i am going to 40's i will get the Patagonia again
no road noise Local street or Highway love this thing can't go wrong with it
some people had problems with balancing , but i never had those problem just need to find a smart person who can balance correct way with this tires
all my friends used this after expensive tires
but everyone has different taste :)

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I ran multiple sets of Coopers (35’s) on my JK, had 35” Ko2’s on my JL for 12,000 miles and now 37” Milestar Pat’s for the last 13,000 miles. I haven’t noticed any difference to the Coopers in street or offroad driving. I’m in Colorado if it matters.

The Ko2’s were great onroad and performed ok offroad, except the tread chunked off quite a bit. I’d come back from wheeling and tread blocks would be missing.

For what it’s worth, I’ve never done any wheeling in the mud.

I’m not in the camp that will proclaim the Pat’s are more than they are. They are a budget tire that fights above its weight class, but there are much better tires out there. I bought them as I only need them to span the time it takes me to prepare my Jeep for 40’s. If I get 20,000 miles out of them it should be about all I need.
Sponsored