First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I'm not trying to be an Internet wise guy. I get being concerned over stuff like this and analyzing the heck out of it - I do the same and it drives my wife nuts. My point being is that we are pretty stuck for options.

The 3.0L Eco-diesel is probably the most complex diesel offered from an emissions systems perspective and with that comes risk. Will it be more reliable over prior generations - that was the goal so perhaps? Will FCA have messed it up and it be a pain in the ass could also be possible.

VW/Audi/Porsche, Mercedes, Volvo, and BMW have exited the NA diesel market due to the emissions systems complexities and the costs related to the certifications and long-term maintenance required. These are some of the most talented engineering teams in the world. For them to pass as it was not financially feasible is an interesting reference point. One can argue they caused it with the dirty diesel crap but the reality is they all cheat and all have been caught, just the EPA made VW the scapegoat.

The only market left in the US is for the pickup truck segment. Diesel is gone from everything else. The Jeep JL is the only non-pickup diesel I am aware of.

But if you want 30mpg and >450 ft/lbs of torque it's the only way so if you need that you also get the downsides with it.
I agree with all this and why I’m trying to find a workable solution. My best guess is routine cleaning of the HP EGR. Assuming that still exists. Getting conflicting accounts of it but seems most likely it’s still there.

If all I have to do is pay to clean that out routinely then I’m in. Still cheaper than dropping a hemi. Assuming that during cleaning the soot isn’t dropped in the cylinder. Yes. This drives one crazy. :)
Sponsored

Buttercup 3.0

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR 2012 JK
I’m talking to a couple tuners now one in Canada and one here in the US they are telling me sometime mid to late summer because all this stuff needs to go. As far as re gear on my true to size 38s it is required can I keep it the way it is sure I’m getting 19mpg but it lugs from time to time even at say 70-75 the rpms are just to low in 8th and the the CC don’t know what to do it wants to just keep it in 7th unless going down hill or flat land so I do it myself I can maintain speed without the down shifting most of the time. I’m going to a 4.56 or 4.88 I’m dropping it off today.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Is it truly rehearing issue or calibration for trans to shift correctly?

BTW, 3.6 trans cost $750 more. That makes no sense but brings the difference down a bit for those concerned about break even.

Buttercup 3.0

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR 2012 JK
Is it truly rehearing issue or calibration for trans to shift correctly?

BTW, 3.6 trans cost $750 more. That makes no sense but brings the difference down a bit for those concerned about break even.
The trans for the diesel is actually tuned for more torque from factory and shifts perfectly as for re gearing no tune is going to change the lugging of engine because it needs a re gear

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Was thinking it might be shift points. Was hoping a regear wasn’t needed. That’s a cost savings of $2k plus that can be deducted form the increase of going to diesel.

Sponsored

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Couldn’t pull up the direct IG link but did find some random links on google. Very cool. Looks like you’re in Texas. Trying to plan a trip to Hidden Falls before end of May for light wheeling before our trip to Colorado/ Moab in the summer.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
That diesel motor is just killer. Wish my pocket book coulda held out for one.

CAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D, , 2019 200 Series Land Cruiser, 2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4wd,
I’m waiting on a 37. No need to go crazy just yet. Can it roll on 3:73 effectively. I need 8th at 80.
I have 8th at 70 with 37's.

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
But is it sluggish? Another stated needing to change gears due to loss of power.

CAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D, , 2019 200 Series Land Cruiser, 2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4wd,
But is it sluggish? Another stated needing to change gears due to loss of power.
I didn’t want to drive it stock, I didn’t want to know what I lost. It drives fine.

Any car/truck is gonna feel sluggish going up 5” in tire size. I re-geared my Ram 2500 on 37’s.

I will re-gear at some point, but it’s not a big deal to me right now. Need a proper suspension first.
Sponsored