White, Silver, Sting-Gray or Granite? Convince Me

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I love my Sting Gray. Looks great with the contrast black fenders, bumpers and top. The Rubicon red accents work well with it too. Every crossover on the road has metallic paint. My big sting gray Jeep with a purring diesel fits me just right.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
My CJs/Wranglers have been yellow (2), blue, white, black, green, silver, and granite (Current JLUR).

The only one I view as a mistake is the black one. It was miserably hot in the summer, it showed every minor scratch from branches or sage brush, it never looked showroom clean for more than a day, and any damage had to be repaired perfectly or it was noticeable. White was the opposite; still looked good two weeks after being washed unless it went wheeling, and even then it looked good until it was really dirty. A little bit of dust and the black looked terrible.

I enjoy seeing all the wild colors. Many of them are really beautiful. But enjoying them on othersā€˜ jeeps is very different from living with them every day for years. Also, for those of us who bolt on all kinds of other crap, like tents, gas cans, jacks, and such, the shades of gray to white also work better, I think. I have red, white, and orange rotopax, for example. Theyā€™re fine on a gray to white jeep, but look like something the dog threw up when bolted onto some of the really bright blues, pinks, and purples. With the grays to tans to whites you can bolt up almost any wheels and accessories and they still look good.

Thereā€™s also resale to consider. There are a lot of bright ā€œlove it or hate itā€ colors that appeal to some and repulse others. Silvers and grays may not light folks up, but few would avoid a good used purchase due to those colors.

Iā€™ve been buying jeeps and other vehicles for almost 45 years; my wife and I lost count somewhere in the 75 vehicle range. My taste is trending more boring with age, partially because I want to wash less and enjoy more. Thatā€™s why our Raptor is white. Its our 5th white pickup.

Iā€™ve had my granite Jeep for three years now and I still love it. It was my best option at the time, but I would have struggled if Gobi, Gator, or Sarge had been available, as I like those too.

The good news is no decision is permanent. You can always choose a safe color and, if you regret it down the road, wrap it in something you like better.

And, in the end, none of this really matters as long as you don't get something you hate. We really donā€˜t buy our jeeps to look at them. :)

Iā€˜ve included a few pictures of prior jeeps going back to the early 80s (but missing a couple).

Jeep Wrangler JL White, Silver, Sting-Gray or Granite? Convince Me A4F6B612-E13E-44A2-BE26-011ACC73F34C

Jeep Wrangler JL White, Silver, Sting-Gray or Granite? Convince Me B679BF1A-2C7D-4774-8B48-96CE37725D5F

Jeep Wrangler JL White, Silver, Sting-Gray or Granite? Convince Me FE49BAE5-5961-4507-BBB3-7553EFC37983

Jeep Wrangler JL White, Silver, Sting-Gray or Granite? Convince Me 4FEE10A8-08EE-4753-A62D-99FC0F75977B

Jeep Wrangler JL White, Silver, Sting-Gray or Granite? Convince Me F529A56E-500A-4C14-81E2-6528BBF21D05

Jeep Wrangler JL White, Silver, Sting-Gray or Granite? Convince Me 3214F3A8-C9B2-4650-B45A-9563FEA1D0AA

Jeep Wrangler JL White, Silver, Sting-Gray or Granite? Convince Me ABF44F2E-B462-4FA7-A161-72AC5C7BC766

Jeep Wrangler JL White, Silver, Sting-Gray or Granite? Convince Me DF41B378-6193-4886-8BEB-C2C3C5953466

Jeep Wrangler JL White, Silver, Sting-Gray or Granite? Convince Me 17C2F70C-8F69-4436-9554-80DAE6DA19D8

Jeep Wrangler JL White, Silver, Sting-Gray or Granite? Convince Me CF18446D-91C9-4917-8877-EC1D4FAEC5AB

Last edited:

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Love my Sting Gray. I absolutely hate White & silver is blah.

Sponsored

Jk4x4

First Name
Claudio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk 2015 Rubicon
Lol I had the same dilemma 4 months ago beyween the same colors as you. I do auto detailing and do not really like white vehicles. But somehow that bright white on a Jl is really bright.I liked the contrast with the black.
So I went with the white one.
Jeep Wrangler JL White, Silver, Sting-Gray or Granite? Convince Me 20220524_152951

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Tbh - anything but white. If you don't want to be able to find your vehicle in a parking lot, white is your winner. Literally pulled into our hotel parking lot last night and every single vehicle in three rows was white. My wife's Velvet Red Pearl Grand Cherokee is easy to spot :)

We had a Firecracker JKU, a Granite Crystal JKU & our JLU Sahara Altitude is Sting-Gray. One thing to consider is the color of your accessories because the affect the color of the car. Black top & fenders will give the color a different appearance than body-color top & fenders. Emblems, grille, wheels, etc. all play a role in the color's appearance. Imo, Sting-Gray needs body-color top & fenders with gloss black wheels to bring out its true color.

Hydro blue is probably the best blue Jeep has offered in as far as I can remember. It also looks best with body-color top/fenders & gloss black wheels.

OP
OP

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
I have had Yellow, Red and Black in the past. My current Jeep is Sting Gray and I think I like it the best so far. Silver to me is just cheap looking. I think the stinger looks great if you are not going with the color match fenders and top. It also works with non-matching half doors.

Jeep Wrangler JL White, Silver, Sting-Gray or Granite? Convince Me 20210904_184445
not to be a dick, but this looks terrible.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
I've had Red, Pink, Black, and Silver Wranglers so far
Scrap your plan and pick an actual color as Jeeps are made to stand out
As far as I'm concerned Silver and Black were not colors but Pink and Red certainly were for sure
Okay, sorry I'm way too rough.... My JK is Silver and is okay but next to the JL Pinkey no fricken way does the Silver stand out
I'd choose between High Velocity or Red today if I had to order right now
Besides, they don't call it "Resale Red" for nothing :sun:
Your Jeep, Your Choice... oddly color choice is always a heated debate so as long as you get a real Jeep we're all good with it šŸ˜

Sponsored

JuzaMe

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vmcrugbychairs.com
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ, 2005 Duramax, 2022 JLURD(ordered 1/17/22)
Occupation
Working on being a burden to my children.
I just don't get it...really, do people just want to 'blend in'? I was at the car wash one day, sitting on a bench outside, watching folks pull in...white, grey, silver, black...over and over and over. Finally a tangerine orange Toyota truck pulled in...I thought, 'That man stands out in the crowd'! Sorry, but I need some COLOR in my life, but to each their own.

JoeBanks

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport JLU
Itā€™s completely up to you.
Of your choices Iā€™d go with White. Where I live every Jeep seems to be either StingGray or silver.
I almost went with StringGray but opted for Sarge green on my Willys. So glad I went Sarge, not many others around and (in real life) I love the color.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

PntBlnk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler HA 4xe
I just took delivery of a Zynith Silver HA 4xe and itā€™s stunning. I really wanted the Hydro Blue but the wife said no, so that left us with Silver, Grey and White in her color palette. Regret not pressing her for the Hydro but Silver looks so darn good and stays clean longer than any other color Iā€™ve owned. Hides the scratches well and reflects the heatā€¦. That said, I always drool at the Hydro jeeps I seeā€¦šŸ˜”

Jeep Wrangler JL White, Silver, Sting-Gray or Granite? Convince Me 1654865558674

Jeep Wrangler JL White, Silver, Sting-Gray or Granite? Convince Me 1654865810566
Sponsored