Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
I think it would look sick with the Mopar Flat Black grill. Just sayin’ dude
I absolutely agree. That will happen at some point.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jawest12

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
Next upgrade coming up. Just waiting on the mount and other stuff to come in! This was a nice surprise by my wife. I had been agonizing over OBA choices. Unbeknownst to me, she ordered the whole setup from Innovative Jk Products.

IMG_3367.jpeg

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘73 CJ5, ‘19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Next up was my ham radio install. This took a bit of planning as there haven’t been many installs for me to copy from.

First was antenna. Found that an L bracket nmo fits great under the cowl panel. And there is a seam there to drill into. I think it turned out great. Doesn’t stick out too much.

14a.jpg

14b.jpg

I was able to run the wire in through a plug in the firewall right next to the brake booster. I would imagine it’s where the clutch stuff usually goes.

For power and ground I decided to wire directly to the battery. There were other ways to go, but I figured I’d give the whole dropped windshield option a try. It worked great.

14c.jpg

Then I had to determine where to mount the control head. Above the rear view mirror seemed best. Running the cable was made super simple with the windshield down.

I mounted the brain under the glove box. It does not seem to mess with passenger space. But still easy to get to, and the speaker is loud and clear.

This JL has been the easiest Jeep I’ve had to wire things up in.

14d.jpg

14e.jpg
I like your build. I’ve been looking all over for a place to mount my ham radio without success. How and to what did you mount yours? It is not clear from the photo.

Thanks
Mark

OP
OP
jawest12

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
I like your build. I’ve been looking all over for a place to mount my ham radio without success. How and to what did you mount yours? It is not clear from the photo.

Thanks
Mark
Thanks!. The brain is ziptied to stuff underneath the glove box. The control face came with a mounting bracket that I screwed directly to the plastic above the rear view mirror. I hated putting a hole up there, but it is just one, and mostly out of site.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Looks awesome! Solid color choice.

I love your Bartacts too. I was a bit conservative and went with the black/silver as it matches the Sport interior but was VERY close to get the blue. What actually stopped me was I got them early in the JL life and they had the black/silver in stock while the more custom colors would take 4-6 weeks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jawest12

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
Looks awesome! Solid color choice.

I love your Bartacts too. I was a bit conservative and went with the black/silver as it matches the Sport interior but was VERY close to get the blue. What actually stopped me was I got them early in the JL life and they had the black/silver in stock while the more custom colors would take 4-6 weeks.
Thank you sir. Choosing a color like Blue is definitely a commitment :-D. That trailer of yours looks awesome as well.

OP
OP
jawest12

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
Didn’t get the OBA done yet. As the mail has yet to deliver the rest of the stuff. So instead, it was time to replace the Rancho disconnects that did not fair well for me. After two months even the pins were rusted. So, out with the “old” and in with the gold. MC gold that is.

1FFF47D6-46B6-4794-81C5-B811BDF20A2C.jpeg

Last edited:

ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sport S, Red Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Fantastic build. Thanks for sharing

OP
OP
jawest12

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
Got my next mod done. Onboard air using the JK Innovations setup. Still need to calibrate the air up tool. But this setup is pretty awesome!

Found lots of mud in places where it probably shouldn’t be. Lol. I deviated from the instructions and ran the power and ground through the firewall. Same place as where the AUX switches go. Was a pain to get the humongous wiring harness through. But worked out great.

10432D60-65A4-4443-9292-69130E9436B3.jpeg

182C1232-245B-44B9-91F0-019700B864E2.jpeg

A5009D9D-3932-4DB7-979C-CB7BBDE0A5F0.jpeg

Sponsored

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Got my next mod done. Onboard air using the JK Innovations setup. Still need to calibrate the air up tool. But this setup is pretty awesome!

Found lots of mud in places where it probably shouldn’t be. Lol. I deviated from the instructions and ran the power and ground through the firewall. Same place as where the AUX switches go. Was a pain to get the humongous wiring harness through. But worked out great.
A couple questions. I am in the process of hooking this up. I get the "hookup" of the main 5 wire harness that goes to the engine bay, but for the other harness. The one you only use the purple wire from. The end that connects to the ARB, there are 3 connectors. I get you need to use the 3 pin flat connector, but do you need to connect either of the 2 wire white connectors to anything? Why are there so many "wire plugs" on the ARB?

Just making sure the only connectors I need to attach are the 5-ping one going to the battery, and the 3-pin one for the "purple" wire. Surprised there is not a local ground either.

I deviated from the instructions slightly too. I didn't use the drain plug in front of the seat, there is a 2nd drain plug under the passenger seat. With the rubber floor mats, the front drain plug can't be used. Going through the firewall looked like a good idea, not changing it though, it was pain getting the wires ran once already. :)

Thanks for the help.

PS, it was real fun trying to use 10mm lock nuts on the backside of the air plates on the seat legs. My hands were not made for that work.

Weird Wint

First Name
Wint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
Trying out a dashcam. Wanted one with parking protection. And alerts from thievery and such sent to my phone. Also wanted one that didn’t stick out, as a potential allure for thieves.

So far, the Raven dash cam seems to fit the bill. It is large, but doesn’t look like a GPS or dash cam. Looks to me like it could be part of the vehicle. Has a 4G connection , so can send me alerts, and I can check it anytime. Is a GOS tracker for Jeep as well.

Does a bunch of other stuff that I probably won’t use. Any of your ODB stuff. Diagnostics, different system temps, turn by turn navigation Display is configurable. Videos outside and in cabin. Accessible via cloud. But can also pull full videos from the camera storage itself via USB of SD card if you want.

18.jpg
how do you like the dash cam? it does look very incognito compared to the owlcam.

OP
OP
jawest12

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
how do you like the dash cam? it does look very incognito compared to the owlcam.
I like it very much. It gives me great piece of mind. Like when I was at the Myrtle Beach Jeep Jam this past weekend, no doors. Did valet parking for a restaurant. I was able to see what went on with it the whole time.

Weird Wint

First Name
Wint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
how are the monthly fees for it?