Sponsored

Whistling/wind noise with top down

jpqst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
This is not the infamous windshield noise. It is only when the top is all the way down and starts at 30 mph. No issues when up, in sun rider or safari. It sounds like its coming from high up and in the rear. Anyone else experience this or know how to stop it?
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
This is not the infamous windshield noise. It is only when the top is all the way down and starts at 30 mph. No issues when up, in sun rider or safari. It sounds like its coming from high up and in the rear. Anyone else experience this or know how to stop it?
Did you lock it down with the latches on the roll bar (flip to lock position and then push top down until it clicks)? Maybe try using Velcro traps to compress the top? I haven't used my soft top yet but those are a few things I've read about that might help.

OP
OP

jpqst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
I did not but ill give those a try. Thanks

Sponsored

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I had my soft top on for a few months last summer and had it down frequently. What I can tell you is if you dont fold the top as instructed and make sure you push the material out between the spars in the direction needed..you can get some pretty wacky sounds. After I showed my oldest how to put the top down properly that has gone away. As others have discussed in this thread make sure your top is locked. To reduce flapping and I strap i strap the top with two 2" velcro straps and make sure its a pretty tight bundle.

Now I am sure you are familiar with all the sounds that a Jeep can make while the tops off / down. But even at the right speed and conditions the radio antenna will whistle. Whistles are typically caused by thin openings exposed to a deep hole. Some times the interior panels will get a gap and the wind within a convertible will just catch it right and cause a whistle. Had a BMW that did this...drove me nuts. I had to cover up seams with tape until I found the one that caused it then I filled the seam with calking and no more whistle but there are so many more possibilities in a JEEP that could cause a whistle, I rather just turn up the radio and go faster :) But I feel your pain and hope you find it.

OP
OP

jpqst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
I appreciate the helpful responses. The JL I test drove didnt do this with the top down so I wil try these suggestion. Thanks.

Last edited:

uRJeremyK

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
my JK had a whistle with top down, was the round ring at base of side view mirror. wind just whips around it. haven't noticed it yet with my JL. I could put my hand around it and make it stop. drove me insane.

Last edited:

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
DaFuq?

Sponsored

allieboy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
It stopped for me when i put an ear plug in one ear

OP
OP

jpqst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
I appreciate all of the constructive comments. I folded the top carefully this time and used 2 bungee cords to hold it down and the whistling went away.

MedicalCowboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Occupation
Pipefitter
Hey guys when I take my doors and top off I get a lot of wind noise and the sun shines directly on me. Does anyone know how to remedy this? :computerrage: Hahahhahahah

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
"I took my convertable top off..now I hear wind noise and whistling,,, please help!!"

anigif_enhanced-buzz-22338-1362155139-8.gif
Sponsored