Sponsored

Whistling noise coming from engine at stop sign/traffic light.

FL_Diesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Diesel
I am hearing a whistling noise coming from driver side of the engine at traffic light/stop sign. I can hear it if windows are up. It lasts about few seconds and stops. And starts again. It happens both when A/C is on or off. I need to confirm if the noise only occurs before the engine fully reaches optimal operating temperature. I am hoping it is the turbo or the fan. Since this is my first Diesel and turbo, not sure if this is normal.
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Muffler Bearing.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I am hearing a whistling noise coming from driver side of the engine at traffic light/stop sign. I can hear it if windows are up. It lasts about few seconds and stops. And starts again. It happens both when A/C is on or off. I need to confirm if the noise only occurs before the engine fully reaches optimal operating temperature. I am hoping it is the turbo or the fan. Since this is my first Diesel and turbo, not sure if this is normal.
Hi Sarge,
Should you decide to have your dealer take a look, please feel free to send us a private message if additional assistance is needed!
Alex
Jeep Cares

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
I noticed a few different noises as well some whirling type noises. I've got 2600 miles plus and its been constant. Sooner or later I'll get under there and track down what it is. I have noticed some turbo blow off noises that reminds me of 90's

OP
OP

FL_Diesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Diesel
Hi Sarge,
Should you decide to have your dealer take a look, please feel free to send us a private message if additional assistance is needed!
Alex
Jeep Cares
Alex, thanks for your message. I will stop by at local Jeep dealer this weekend and let you know if any help is needed.

Sponsored

OP
OP

FL_Diesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Diesel
I noticed a few different noises as well some whirling type noises. I've got 2600 miles plus and its been constant. Sooner or later I'll get under there and track down what it is. I have noticed some turbo blow off noises that reminds me of 90's
I will stop by dealer this weekend and update the thread. Hopefully it is part of EGR mechanism or something.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Turbos whistle. They all whistle.

Also, the EGR valve will open at times to allow air to rush in from the low pressure side of the exhaust. That will sound like a "whoosshhh" that lasts a matter of seconds.

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Turbos whistle. They all whistle.
lol, they do whistle. When its idling you can hear a few things, mainly when at stoplights and the auto start turned off. It's not so noticeable when in park and idling like in the driveway...

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
speaking of noises, does anyone have a real loud electric fan- almost sounds like a jet airplane upon shut down? When I first got the Jeep, I thought an aircraft was flying over my head at low altitude. Regardless of temperature the fan ramps up on shut down then ramps down.

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Ok.... thread jack in progress.... anyone thought of aftermarket blow off valves?
Sponsored