Sponsored

Whirring/humming at highway speeds after re-gear

Bekser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR Sarge Green 6MT
Hi all,

I very recently got regearing done on my 21 JLR 6speed (4.88) at a very reputable shop.

I got around 300miles on it so far, and other than this noise issue, I am loving the new gears.

I am getting a whirring/humming at deceleration/coasting and in gear. In neutral it doesn't make the noise. Happens mostly at around 50-60mph and typically in 4, 5, 6 gear.

It's not super loud, but noticable enough to hear inside vehicle and I even feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel when the whirring occurs.

Oddly, the shop owner said break in wasn't necessary, just don't drive recklessly or off-road. I didn't feel comfortable doing that based on reading here so I did the following based on several online recommendations (I was running errands around town)

1. Drove 25min. varying speeds about half street half highway but not over 60mph. Let it rest for 25 min.
2. Drove about 20min. Again varying speeds but no highway. Rested for 45min.
3. Drove another 20min, rest 20min.
4. Drove another 20min, rest 1hr.
5. Drove home an hour (regular driving and at highway speeds) for the night.

I started noticing the above noise and called the shop. explained to the Mechanic what I heard. He actually told me that there is a break in process despite what I was told. he said the noise is common, gears are breaking in and the protective coating is shedding off. At 500miles They are going to change the gear oil and I believe the inspect the gears as well.

My question is has anyone experienced this noise with a re-gear and does it clear up after the 500 miles? I do trust the shop and the mechanic; they have a ton of experience and work only on jeeps. However, they are always super busy and I hope they didn't rush through process.

Thanks!
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I had a regear done once that did the same thing. I brought it back to the installers, and they fixed it. Sound went away entirely. I don't suspect it will go away on its own.

If it makes you feel better, my installation shop was also reputable/experienced - it happens.