jeronimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL
Occupation
On the trail :+)
Hello friends,

About 3k miles ago I started experiencing strange whining noise from underneath the stick shift where the transfer case is located. Noise becomes apparent at around 30mph and gradually changes its pitch with acceleration and is mostly pronounced at 55-75mph. Pitch is also changed again when decelerating. To rule out transmission I switched to neutral while moving with 70mph and the noise kept going. I also tried 4H and the noise is still there.

I took the Jeep to the dealer just couple hundred miles after this started and then I took it another 2 consecutive times. A dealer that I've been loyal to and where I bought my Jeep. They were unable to resolve the issue and they are having all sorts of excuses.

First two times I was sent back because my tires were almost worn out and they stated "vibration from tires could lead to noises from drivetrain" even though it was apparent that this was not the case - I know the sound of my car and when it all of a sudden starts making a new noise then I notice it - tires don't wear out all of a sudden to produce such noise.

I changed my tires and took it a third time. This time for the test drive I was assigned someone who actually heard the noise straight away and agreed it was T-case. I took the car back they said they topped the T-case oil and the noise was fixed and within spec.

I get in the car and the same noise is there - I called them to ask for some adequate resolving of the issue and asked them to call me back once they figure out what they want to do and I haven't heard from them in 3 months (during which I did avoid driving the car).

I feel like they were not taking the time to actually troubleshoot and resolve the issue but were rather shooting blanks... @JeepCares

So my question is - did anyone here experience similar t-case noise or does anyone have any suggestions on how this could be diagnosed and taken care of?

~Cheers~
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hello friends,

About 3k miles ago I started experiencing strange whining noise from underneath the stick shift where the transfer case is located. Noise becomes apparent at around 30mph and gradually changes its pitch with acceleration and is mostly pronounced at 55-75mph. Pitch is also changed again when decelerating. To rule out transmission I switched to neutral while moving with 70mph and the noise kept going. I also tried 4H and the noise is still there.

I took the Jeep to the dealer just couple hundred miles after this started and then I took it another 2 consecutive times. A dealer that I've been loyal to and where I bought my Jeep. They were unable to resolve the issue and they are having all sorts of excuses.

First two times I was sent back because my tires were almost worn out and they stated "vibration from tires could lead to noises from drivetrain" even though it was apparent that this was not the case - I know the sound of my car and when it all of a sudden starts making a new noise then I notice it - tires don't wear out all of a sudden to produce such noise.

I changed my tires and took it a third time. This time for the test drive I was assigned someone who actually heard the noise straight away and agreed it was T-case. I took the car back they said they topped the T-case oil and the noise was fixed and within spec.

I get in the car and the same noise is there - I called them to ask for some adequate resolving of the issue and asked them to call me back once they figure out what they want to do and I haven't heard from them in 3 months (during which I did avoid driving the car).

I feel like they were not taking the time to actually troubleshoot and resolve the issue but were rather shooting blanks... @JeepCares

So my question is - did anyone here experience similar t-case noise or does anyone have any suggestions on how this could be diagnosed and taken care of?

~Cheers~
Thanks for tagging us here, jeronimo. If you don't find the answers you're looking for from fellow forum members, please feel free to send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares