Sponsored

Whining/Howling sound that cycles up with acceleration and down w/ deceleration. 2.0 Issue?

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Exactly. But now try putting it in neutral when driving at speed (and let off the gas off course) and see that it also goes quiet (like at a stop light). Putting it in neutral let’s rpm drop to 1200 or so. This proves the noise is related to engine rpm and NOT AC blower. I think.
Sponsored

Rom101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon Recon
Did anyone take it in for the dealership to do the TSB for the loud fan noise? I will ask when I go in for oil change.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
A lot of worry about nothing. That fan blower is loud, but it keeps the engine cool. It’s normal...and it’s obnoxious. It’s operating per design. Mine does the exact same thing...and I don’t give it a second thought. It performed flawlessly rock crawling and driving 80mph on the interstate.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did anyone take it in for the dealership to do the TSB for the loud fan noise? I will ask when I go in for oil change.
It did not howl, of course, when I took It to the dealer.

A lot of worry about nothing. That fan blower is loud, but it keeps the engine cool. It’s normal...and it’s obnoxious. It’s operating per design. Mine does the exact same thing...and I don’t give it a second thought. It performed flawlessly rock crawling and driving 80mph on the interstate.
Could be. Are you having this intermittent howling noise? If so, and if it’s the fan working properly, any thoughts on why it would Slow/go quieter when engine RPM goes to idle speed?

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It did not howl, of course, when I took It to the dealer.

Could be. Are you having this intermittent howling noise? If so, and if it’s the fan working properly, any thoughts on why it would Slow/go quieter when engine RPM goes to idle speed?
Cooling demands are lower at idle speed and a howling fan is more noticeable at idle - FCA programmed it this way. Mine does this exact same thing...when it’s very warm outside.

Sponsored

comatzd

First Name
Danno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This is exactly opposite of every other vehicle I have owned. The fans come on at idle and off while driving. This is typical due to heat soak, where the engine/turbo/exhaust heat all gets trapped under the hood and spikes the temp, causing the fans to kick on.

It makes no sense to turn the fans on high while driving at 50mph.

Cooling demands are lower at idle speed and a howling fan is more noticeable at idle - FCA programmed it this way. Mine does this exact same thing...when it’s very warm outside.

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
I think it may have something to do with the A/C being on. I notice it when it is really hot out. As I accelerate from a stop, their is a fan that spools up. It's nice and loud at 40-45 mph. As I come to a stop, it spools down or turns off completely. I tried turning the A/C off and noticed it happened less. As in it always happens when the A/C is on and it is hot outside, but is more sporadic with A/C off. Does seem odd to happen that way. I would expect that with the Jeep traveling at >40 mph, that there would be enough air flowing over the radiator and condenser to cool everything with the need for a fan assisting.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it may have something to do with the A/C being on. I notice it when it is really hot out. As I accelerate from a stop, their is a fan that spools up. It's nice and loud at 40-45 mph. As I come to a stop, it spools down or turns off completely. I tried turning the A/C off and noticed it happened less. As in it always happens when the A/C is on and it is hot outside, but is more sporadic with A/C off. Does seem odd to happen that way. I would expect that with the Jeep traveling at >40 mph, that there would be enough air flowing over the radiator and condenser to cool everything with the need for a fan assisting.
Try this: Next time it’s happening and your driving at a good speed, shift into neutral. Does the the howling quiet down?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I've exactly this when all the temperature gauges were at around 192 degrees, and the fan still kicked on. The AC and outside temperature definitely trigger the fan to run.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can take it to the dealer to give yourself peace of mind but I guaranty they will tell you it’s operating within spec. The algorithms applied to fan operation are driven by engineering factors likely beyond the scope our uninformed perspective.

Sponsored

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If someone could confirm shifting into neutral while driving 45mph makes it go quieter I could give my ocd a rest

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Exactly. But now try putting it in neutral when driving at speed (and let off the gas off course) and see that it also goes quiet (like at a stop light). Putting it in neutral let’s rpm drop to 1200 or so. This proves the noise is related to engine rpm and NOT AC blower. I think.
Hi @Adamoni
Please know that we are happy to assist alongside a dealer appointment. If you intend to bring this to the attention of your dealer, please do not hesitate to reach out to us privately for support. We are happy to help!

Kathryn
JeepCares

Hello @Rom101
Please let us know if you would like additional support during your dealer appointment. We would be happy to look into this further for you.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Deepc408

First Name
Deep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler North Edition
Occupation
Eng.
Anyone take their Jeep to the dealership to get this looked into?

I have the same issue with the fan coming on during a hot day and the noise level is related to speed (higher speed = louder fan noise)

How about the TSB mentioned earlier in the thread? What TSB # is it?

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
I read this thread a while ago and didn't quite get it.... Then...

Last weekend I was out on some gnarly FSR's and I decided to not crank my music like I usually do - no music at all.

After this huge incline at one point, I was hauling and then I heard....

I seriously thought it was an air raid siren from way off in the distance somewhere... It stopped after about 30 seconds...

It wasn't until it happened again a short time later that I realized it was the fans for the turbo :LOL:

Doesn't bother me and let's me know I'm having fun :)
Sponsored