Sponsored

Whining/Howling sound that cycles up with acceleration and down w/ deceleration. 2.0 Issue?

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Mine does the same thing and has since I bought it. Only seems to happen when the ambient temp is higher, like 80+. It's ridiculously loud and stupid sounding. Come to a stop and it stops. Just going to be one of those things. I doubt it will ever be resolved.
Sponsored

comatzd

First Name
Danno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Just the front fan designed to keep the engine cool. Loud indeed.....
It's not the main fan. I've heard that one kick on while parked and it doesn't have that spool up kind of thing, that one just sounds like a loud fan.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds a lot like what I’ve been hearing in the clutch recall thread. :bandit:
A clutch is not available with the 2l turbo. I did hear about a PCM update for fan speed. trying to locate it. I definitely heard about a software 'fix' for the fan speed issue.

Smooth9883

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLRU & 2018 WK2 Trailhawk
I stumbled onto this thread and thought I would share my experience and how it got fixed. My '18 JL came special order with one of the first 2.0 turbos. I never got the chance for a test drive of any other 2.0 for comparison, nor could the dealer/mechanic make a comparison. Immediately off the lot I had a rushing air sound on acceleration that sounded like it was coming from the passenger side lower firewall area. That location ought to be a key identifier to compare to anybody else's sound. The harder I accelerated the louder it was. Fell off as I decelerated. I was told by some Ford turbo owners that it's a normal turbo sound from a blowoff valve. I figured I would get used to it, but was annoying enough that I thought it might be a deterrent to 2.0 sales when test driving.

Seemingly unrelated, at around 1200 miles I took a trip that entailed 300+ miles at freeway speed to Salt Lake City. At around the 200 mile mark I had to lift my foot off the pedal to decel. This caused the check engine and throttle body lights to come on and I lost power. I could only go about 20 mph max. I pulled over, restarted, and all was reset. But on the return trip it happened again when the cruise control lifted the throttle at the top of a summit at the 150 mile mark. This time I got a tow truck ride home. But all was reset when we took it off the truck. The dealer "fixed" it and even test drove the fix on a 100 mile freeway trip. I am certain they were hearing "that rushing air sound" the whole way.

A week later, same trip to Salt Lake, same problem at the 220 mile mark. Towed to Salt Lake. This time the problem remained until the dealer in Salt Lake could look at it. It turned out to be a simple vacuum hose that was not fully tightened. Apparently it took 150+ miles at 75+ mph to finally build up enough confusion in the computer to shut things down. It would never happen on short or slow trips. Anyway, back to the sound.....

Once the hose was clamped tight, the rushing air sound was gone. Also throttle response was more predictable and acceleration climbed even higher than the already pleasing performance pre-fix. I wanted to drag race my sleeper Jeep against that motorcycle next to me at the light. Problems I didn't even know I had were solved. I cannot fathom how the loose hose escaped the factory performance check where among all the other turbos to compare to coming off the line someone should have asked, "why does that one sound bad?" Oh well, water under the bridge and a very satisfied 2.0 owner after 20,000 miles.
Why I never read this I have no clue. Do you know which vacuum hose it was and where?

vinniechin

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I thought I read about a TSB regarding this as well and it is a simple flash to get done.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Please share TSB or info on this. This bugs the heck out of me.

Sponsored

Rom101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon Recon
I have a 2020 rubicon 2.0 engine and when it’s hot and the engine warm up the fan kick in very loud. Anyone take it in to the dealer have a look?

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I have a 2020 rubicon 2.0 engine and when it’s hot and the engine warm up the fan kick in very loud. Anyone take it in to the dealer have a look?
Nothing to look at - this is normal. Mine does it too...and I consider it a good thing.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
It’s weird how I can put it in neutral and the OOOOOOOOOOO becomes ooooooooo like when I come to stop. So it’s engine rpm dependent for sure, right?

Rom101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon Recon
It’s weird how I can put it in neutral and the OOOOOOOOOOO becomes ooooooooo like when I come to stop. So it’s engine rpm dependent for sure, right?

Mine is real quiet when at a stop light and gets pretty loud when start moving.
Sponsored