Sponsored

While the A/C is on, The Jeep randomly blows HOT air from the floor vents for 3-5 mins then stops

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Hello/ I just found this on Wrangler forum. I have an 18 JL. When a/c is in auto mode, it cools very well. However maybe every 15 to 20 minutes, it blows heated air out onto the floor. The cold air continues to blow out the dash vents, and the hot air comes out on the floor. Lasts maybe 30 seconds, but in south Florida, 95 degree weather it's felt. My local dealer said that is normal, as it's trying to maintain the set cabin temp. My 19 Ram 1500 doesn't operate that way, as have none of my previous Ford f150s. Is this normal?
Hello, do you or anyone on this thread know if this is an issue only on MY18 JL's?
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, do you or anyone on this thread know if this is an issue only on MY18 JL's?

It's literally every single JL Wrangler. It's not an issue as it really is designed to do these stupid "fresh air" dumps.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica

Curlylocks38

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I have the same problem with my 2018 Jeep Rubicon purchased in May 2021. It happens not just in auto setting. When driving down the road on trips longer than an hour the bottom vent randomly opens and blows hot air on our legs and feet. Took to dealer. They kept it all day and could not replicate and find cause. Only thing they could think of is auxiliary battery was bad. It powers AC controls and they said when that battery is low, it causes the things it powers to go wonky. $300 later it seemed to fix problem but we just took a long trip last week and it happened again. The lower vents randomly opening seems to happen in cycles. We click through vent control settings to make it stop but 10 minutes later it happens again. Over and over. I’m looking for the solution.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’ve had the dealership “fix” this issue twice. Yet it still does it like it always has. Only when driving continuously on the highway for over an hour to an hour and a half. Then it recurs about every hour or so.

FCA quality!

Sponsored

Curlylocks38

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I’ve had the dealership “fix” this issue twice. Yet it still does it like it always has. Only when driving continuously on the highway for over an hour to an hour and a half. Then it recurs about every hour or so.

FCA quality!
My husband thinks it is the blend door that blends the heat and the AC. He said when the AC is in cold, they door should be closed off completely. We read somewhere about a motor that you can disconnect going through the glove box however then we may lose our heat. It’s cold here in north Florida in the winter. We need that heat.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
My husband thinks it is the blend door that blends the heat and the AC. He said when the AC is in cold, they door should be closed off completely. We read somewhere about a motor that you can disconnect going through the glove box however then we may lose our heat. It’s cold here in north Florida in the winter. We need that heat.
I believe that’s what they allegedly fixed when they repaired mine. But it still does the same thing. I’m in Texas and it doesn’t get cold here often. Except when it freezes for two weeks straight like this past February.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Set your air to recirculate, drop glove box, disconnect motor to the air intake door.
You still get hot and cold control, you just prevent it from opening to outside air which you wouldn't want anyway. Did it two years ago and probably ranks among my very top mods

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Go to my post #117

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Set your air to recirculate, drop glove box, disconnect motor to the air intake door.
You still get hot and cold control, you just prevent it from opening to outside air which you wouldn't want anyway. Did it two years ago and probably ranks among my very top mods
So this prevents the climate control from operating in fresh air mode and restricts it to recirculate mode only? Does it cause any problems if someone presses the recirculate/fresh air button on the controls?

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
No dealer will be able to fix this nor is it FCA quality issue as it is made to do this for fresh air. Same thing with recirculation mode. It will only stay in recirculation for a fixed time before turning off recirculation.

There is a vent that the ac system opens every so often to add fresh air to the cabin. I think the idea was if your on recirculating mode you don’t get fumes CO2 etc. to build up. However, it seems due to a design flaw, instead of the fresh air going into the a/c system then the cabin, the air just blows over the top of the cabin air filter directly into the vehicle. If you notice it happening they suggested cycling recirc off and on. That will close the vent (only to happen again in whatever minutes as designed).

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
So this prevents the climate control from operating in fresh air mode and restricts it to recirculate mode only? Does it cause any problems if someone presses the recirculate/fresh air button on the controls?
You can unplug the vent motor when it is in whatever mode you prefer. I prefer the fresh air mode.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
You can unplug the vent motor when it is in whatever mode you prefer. I prefer the fresh air mode.
OK. But does anything happen if you attempt to activate the fresh/recirculate control while the motor is disconnected?

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara