Sponsored

While the A/C is on, The Jeep randomly blows HOT air from the floor vents for 3-5 mins then stops

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
That's a new one. It dumps in on the passenger side and it's not any temp other than the outside temp (well a little warmer). It's because the damper door opens and allows unconditioned outside air (hot in summer cold in winter) to blow right over the cabin filter and into the cabin.
If you have the HVAC off I would guess it is still actually doing the damper door movement because it's "designed" to bring "fresh" air in from the outside so there is no oxygen depletion in the cabin. No, I'm not making that up. Some suit at HQ told that to my service manager which made for a good laugh.

Anyway... I never feel it on the driver's side feet, passenger's feet yes, driver's feet no. If you really are feeling it on the driver's side then you may have something different.
There is a software update TSB back in the thread (not far back) and you can request they do it.

FYI, if you off road you really want to drop the glove box door and unplug the harness to the damper while you are off roading. One guy dropped his glove box to find that his entire area behind the dash and front console was covered in dirt and silt. Makes total sense since that air comes in unconditioned and unfiltered. Anytime we off road I make sure the damper is shut and unplug it.
Well it's only hot air when it's hot outside.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Well it's only hot air when it's hot outside.
Right but you shouldn't be feeling it on the driver's side ESPECIALLY if the doors and top are off.

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
Should the flap behind the glove box close completely? Mine has about a 3/4" gap when down.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What I have found is if you have the fan on full blast it leaves that gap. Set your fan to low then hit the recirc button, you should see the door close completely. Then hit the recirc button (turning recirc off) and you should see the door open completely.
I then hit the recirc button again, watch it close and unplug the harness from it. Voila problem solved. Only problem with that is you can't really defrost well and it gets kind of a wet dog smell after a few days so I only do that when we off road. The other solution I have is when we are driving, as soon as I sense that unconditioned air dumping in I hit the recirc button twice. That overrides the computer which is telling it to do the dump and puts it back to what I had it set at in terms of fresh or recirc.
Apparently there is a software fix and I'll get it next time I need to take it in.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You are correct. For our northern members it will be blasts of icy cold air during the winter. That sounds pleasant.
Yeah even here in NC it gets cold and it sucks to have that but the hot humid air is definitely worse.

goingsolo2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Teacher
That's not the issue being discussed here. The issue that I experience is hot air randomly coming out of the lower vents while driving down the highway with the AC on coming out of the top vents. Not steady, but intermittent and unpredictable. There is a TSB available addressing this issue. See post #391
Ahhh, gotcha. I apologize for misunderstanding. Hope it can be remedied soon.

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Dealer did the update on mine and made no difference[which i expected]. Just remember if [when] you unplug the motor it has a double lock on it. You pull up on the red tab and then under where the red tab was, you push on a tab with your finger to unlock the harness. It's easy, just don't yank the wires out without unlocking the tabs. So far i have had no outside air coming in.
First, thanks cobra for the pics and instructions for the workaround. After two failed attempts at the software fix I did just what you said and it works. Question— I really never use the recirculate function nor max air, preferring to bring the “fresh” outside air through the a/c or heater, so if I unplug the wire while the damper is down (where you can’t see the cabin filter) will that work too? I’m guessing it will still bring the outside air in, but it will run thru the hvac system and the cabin filter?

Thanks in advance

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
First, thanks cobra for the pics and instructions for the workaround. After two failed attempts at the software fix I did just what you said and it works. Question— I really never use the recirculate function nor max air, preferring to bring the “fresh” outside air through the a/c or heater, so if I unplug the wire while the damper is down (where you can’t see the cabin filter) will that work too? I’m guessing it will still bring the outside air in, but it will run thru the hvac system and the cabin filter?

Thanks in advance
Yes it will work. When you unplug it will stay in whatever position you have it. I highly recommend the Jeep is running or in the run position and let it do it's crap when it starts up. Then cycle the recirc to make sure it's where you want it.
That red tab comes out easy so I just chucked it in the glove box. The plug is snug enough that you don't need to lock it in place if you ever plug it back in.

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes it will work. When you unplug it will stay in whatever position you have it. I highly recommend the Jeep is running or in the run position and let it do it's crap when it starts up. Then cycle the recirc to make sure it's where you want it.
That red tab comes out easy so I just chucked it in the glove box. The plug is snug enough that you don't need to lock it in place if you ever plug it back in.
Thanks Mike. The folks on this forum can be more helpful than the dealer! Now if I can just find a fix for the brakes squeaking when I back out of the garage everything will be perfect!

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Mike. The folks on this forum can be more helpful than the dealer! Now if I can just find a fix for the brakes squeaking when I back out of the garage everything will be perfect!
The dealers were so unprepared for this new model, it was kind of pathetic. I would go in to the dealer with info and website links to show what we are all finding. Fortunately he was a good service manager and would listen.

Have you been off roading? We have a lot and all it takes is a little dirt or something to get in there and it gets squeaky. You could have the dealer check them but since they are a wear item they may not. If you have very low miles and/or the vehicle is new you have a good shot at getting them to look.

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The dealers were so unprepared for this new model, it was kind of pathetic. I would go in to the dealer with info and website links to show what we are all finding. Fortunately he was a good service manager and would listen.

Have you been off roading? We have a lot and all it takes is a little dirt or something to get in there and it gets squeaky. You could have the dealer check them but since they are a wear item they may not. If you have very low miles and/or the vehicle is new you have a good shot at getting them to look.
No off-roading. Since it only happened when backing out of the garage first thing in the am, waited until the first Jeep wave oil change just shy of 6 months to mention it to the dealer. They said all Jeeps do it. Hmmm. Not our other three. Got Jeep Cares involved. They said go to another dealer. Took it to the dealer we bought it from, they said they can’t replicate. Videoed it and sent it to Jeep Cares. Still waiting for a response back.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No off-roading. Since it only happened when backing out of the garage first thing in the am, waited until the first Jeep wave oil change just shy of 6 months to mention it to the dealer. They said all Jeeps do it. Hmmm. Not our other three. Got Jeep Cares involved. They said go to another dealer. Took it to the dealer we bought it from, they said they can’t replicate. Videoed it and sent it to Jeep Cares. Still waiting for a response back.
Yeah... good luck with that.