$40k price tag
10,000 miles / immaculate condition southern Jeep
Can drive off the lot right away

Option 2 -
2020 New
$45,500 price tag
10 miles on odo
Cannot take delivery until the Clutch recall is sorted out - which is TBD

I can finance , pay half or pay in full for either.
The new one comes with purchase incentives etc should I want to take advantage of them
I really don't want to spend more than the $40k, as I plan on putting $5k into it via lift/wheels etc. but a new 2020 sounds nice also.

Thoughts ?
Sponsored

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
i would think that with everything going on and you being able to put a large chunk of money down they would be willing to negotiate a little on price and get some good incentives to get the 2020. especially since you have to wait for a recall. if you can wait that is...

OP
OP
UtahRyder

UtahRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I should note

The dealer with the new 2020 is "at rock bottom now" The $45,500 is down from $51k pre-Covid, then they lowered to $48k and I've gotten them down to $45,500

I tried to play games with providing them with the new Centerforce clutch since they need to eventually do the clutch anyway, but no dice there. They don't want to play games.

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
well if they wont go lower and your bottom line is 40k then its not much of a decision but if you can reconsider your plans then... id rather buy the newest and lowest miles up front as i can and mod it later than start with something unknown and save a few bucks.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.

Sponsored

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
When you buy used, you don’t get any lemon law protection in most states. I would buy new given the two choices you presented.

When I was going through the lemon process with my 2018, I found out some states allow the lemon to be resold on used lots without any repairs. Some states require buyer notification and some don’t. You could be buying my lemoned Rubicon.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Wait for the recall and buy the new 2020. The steering has been reengineered for 2020. It supposedly is a lot better then the 2018 model. Right now FCA is offering 0% x 36 months and deferred payments for 90 days or something. I think that incentive expired today but I bet there will be another. Double check. Take the money and buy equities in this discounted market. I would not be surprised if the stocks outrun the depreciation on a JL in 36-60 months.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Man you should’ve bought my build 19 6 speed! I’d take the 20 if you’re not in a hurry

Brett

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
...Cannot take delivery until the Clutch recall is sorted out - which is TBD. I can finance , pay half or pay in full for either...The new one comes with purchase incentives etc should I want to take advantage of them. Thoughts ?
Between the two, neither. Cite the transmission and all the current clutch issues for my reason. It sounds like you have the means to be able to purchase new - buy new.

OP
OP
UtahRyder

UtahRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Ya, I'm leaning towards the new one and waiting on Chrysler to come up with something for the clutch, which doesn't really matter to me anyway as I plan to install the Centerforce anyway.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35398

i would think that with everything going on and you being able to put a large chunk of money down they would be willing to negotiate a little on price and get some good incentives to get the 2020. especially since you have to wait for a recall. if you can wait that is...
Interesting. I went to purchase a 2020 Rubicon yesterday. $7000 off of MSRP. I thought that was a pretty good deal...........until they told me I HAD to finance through Chrysler (no idea what the interest rate would be, but my credit score is 847. so I figured it would be fairly low). No more than $10,000 down. If a buyer doesn't do those things then the price goes up by $3,000 I think. Not sure because I got turned off by the "forced" financing.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
... Not sure because I got turned off by the "forced" financing.
No surprise that they stand to make money when customers finance thru their preferred lenders “in house”. If they treated you right, you like the vehicle, the price and the salesman/dealership, you can always finance thru them and then refinance later. If not, go somewhere else.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Interesting. I went to purchase a 2020 Rubicon yesterday. $7000 off of MSRP. I thought that was a pretty good deal...........until they told me I HAD to finance through Chrysler (no idea what the interest rate would be, but my credit score is 847. so I figured it would be fairly low). No more than $10,000 down. If a buyer doesn't do those things then the price goes up by $3,000 I think. Not sure because I got turned off by the "forced" financing.
There is a dealer in ID known for doing this. This dealer tells people they have to maintain the financing for X-months to get the discounted price. It probably is regional but FCA is offering 0% on certain Wranglers. Just re-finance if you don't like the rate. Rates should be low since the Prime is essentially 0% now.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
That 2018 doesn't seem like a good deal at all but I haven't looked at the market. I have less miles on mine and would happily take 40k.

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
Identically spec'd Rubicons - fully loaded

Option 1 -
$40k price tag
10,000 miles / immaculate condition southern Jeep
Can drive off the lot right away

Option 2 -
2020 New
$45,500 price tag
10 miles on odo
Cannot take delivery until the Clutch recall is sorted out - which is TBD

I can finance , pay half or pay in full for either.
The new one comes with purchase incentives etc should I want to take advantage of them
I really don't want to spend more than the $40k, as I plan on putting $5k into it via lift/wheels etc. but a new 2020 sounds nice also.

Thoughts ?
Get the 2018
Sponsored