Sponsored

Which Winch plate for 2018 JLU Rubicon?

harkster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubi Unlimited
I have searched the forum and while there is mention of plates working from Rusty, Mopar, etc wondering if anyone can confirm a model of these plates that will bolt on to my JLU? I run steel bumpers so looking for something that is plug, bolt, nut and play :)

I order allot from amazon.ca, so wondering if anyone has a model I can search on there to get the plate I need. I was thinking of getting this winch as well.

https://www.amazon.ca/Smittybilt-97..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=JYMTX7B87NWGE08CTX0T

thank you
Sponsored

JCM32

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
Occupation
Finance
I used the Mopar plate because my GF gets me employee pricing from the dealership and I figured I would stay with factory parts as much as possible since the price wasn't an issue. It was a fairly simple install. I did have to get some longer bolts for the winch fairlead since I had to include a folding license plate here in Texas. The ones that came with the winch were just a hair too short. Other than that, I was happy with the install. Seems rock solid so far.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I recommend: Warn JL Rubicon OE Winch Carrier - 101255

My Jeep finally has a winch.

20180707_060514.jpg

I had to cycle through three different plates:

JCROffRoad Steel Bumper Winch Plate

Dealership Mopar Winch Mounting Kit P/N 82215182AB

4 Wheel Parts Warn JL Rubicon OE Winch Carrier - 101255

Funny, Warn had two different designs for their plate. The one from the dealer was more expensive and didn't come with an adapter plate. (P/N 82215528AB) So more money. More money. More money.

The JCR winch plate ended up being a bit too tight IMHO because it was a bit too high and mounted the winch too far back and against the Jeep.

20180702_202420.jpg
20180702_202448.jpg

The Mopar part from the dealer came in many pieces, but they neglect to provide an adapter plate.

20180703_190015.jpg

Also, the Mopar plate from Warn had two loose L brackets that attached to the front. They were an extreme pain to get in place as there was little room to tighten them with the winch in place. Setting them up without the winch was easier, but that left me shoehorning the winch back in place.

20180705_185519.jpg

This was bad for my mood. (Later painted but damage done.)

The final Warn part from 4 Wheel Parts was "just right" with less pieces than the dealer's plate and a bit more than JCR's, though a more solid build with more room for the winch.

20180706_160743.jpg

20180707_060525.jpg

20180707_060530.jpg

The only down side to the Warn part was that the skid plate needed a bit of modification to allow the back bolts to be installed. Other than that, it was my favorite of the three.

The extra weight (+110-125lbs) is noticeable. The front bumper dropped about 3/4" on the driver's side and about 1/2" on the passenger side as shown:

20180702_172502.jpg

Before.

20180707_060458.jpg

After.

I'm sure it will settle even more as I drive, but there you go.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I have searched the forum and while there is mention of plates working from Rusty, Mopar, etc wondering if anyone can confirm a model of these plates that will bolt on to my JLU? I run steel bumpers so looking for something that is plug, bolt, nut and play :)

I order allot from amazon.ca, so wondering if anyone has a model I can search on there to get the plate I need. I was thinking of getting this winch as well.

https://www.amazon.ca/Smittybilt-97..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=JYMTX7B87NWGE08CTX0T

thank you
That same winch is cheaper at 4WheelParts.ca. I've been looking at it too. The Mopar and Warn plates are great, but the Artec JL5609 looks equally capable and less expensive. On that note, why do winch plates cost almost as much as the winch? Makes it much more difficult to budget.

I'm also considering a Runva 11XP-S too. $539 at Costco.ca. Very well respected Australian company.

Forgot to add that the Warn plate is at https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07BMZTJHF/

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I used the Warn part was well with my Zeon 10s. Fit was tight and I ended up scratching the winch a bit, but it did fit. Also, agree that the two L plates are a pain and then tightening down the bumper back to the frame was difficult on the inner two bolts. The winch plate mounts in between the bumper and the frame. Also the skid plate didn’t fit and I had to drill new holes in the skid plate to line it up with the mounts. Some have gotten it to fit, but it was just as easy to drill new holes.

Overall took me about 2 hours to install.

Jeepcity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon tj rubicon yj cj 8 cj 7 cherokee
I used a warn carrier ,worked great ,and a runva 11 xp (china) . you will have to move solenoid pack , but is easy to figure out . Would have liked to move pack under hood ..... but no room !

IMG_3982.JPG

OP
OP

harkster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubi Unlimited
That same winch is cheaper at 4WheelParts.ca. I've been looking at it too. The Mopar and Warn plates are great, but the Artec JL5609 looks equally capable and less expensive. On that note, why do winch plates cost almost as much as the winch? Makes it much more difficult to budget.

I'm also considering a Runva 11XP-S too. $539 at Costco.ca. Very well respected Australian company.

Forgot to add that the Warn plate is at https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07BMZTJHF/
Costco is awesome...they accept returns on anything no questions asked ;-)

pcpopcorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Firecracker Red
I used the Arctec Winch Plate and a 10 K Superwinch with synthetic rope and Remote control.
The plate was fine we did have to ream out the bottom Metal Skid Plate due to the spacers used on the Bumper
The plate was fine but no instructions were included.A quick Google and we had a PDF on our phone
https://www.artecindustries.com/JL_Winch_Plate

bRhA9MYJQ5SmOJOuIJCHPw.jpg

u949tpsCQ86PsOVJ98vdpw.jpg

DezertTitan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Railroader
Vehicle Showcase
Throwing this out here - Maximus-3 plate. Solid design. Bolted right into place & made from 1/4” steel where some others were 3/16”. I got the hook plate as well which is nice since I’m not entirely sold on buying a flat-link. It looks good all buttoned up.

Can’t see the plate but here’s the X2O mounted. (Bad photo but I’m @ the DMV waiting to get the VIN verified)

ED429B8A-89C2-49EF-A0BC-F8C7BDC058D7.jpeg
Sponsored