Sponsored

Which winch hook/shackle do you guys recommend.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Flat link E, it can fit over a stock JL tow hook. Which isn’t the best idea but for an easy slow pull with the winch I feel pretty decent about it. The regular flat link can’t.
Sponsored

Wyoldguy

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR (ordered)
Careful with that. You'll scar the fairlead which will cut your line.
I cut a piece of rubber that sits behind it now to prevent that, just not pictured. I’ll upgrade eventually but lift and tires were more of a priority and I don’t like leaving line out to attach it to the recovery point on the bumper.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Yeah price makes sense, that way if it gets damaged, it's really no big deal.... $20 buys another one. Have you put it to the test ???
Multiple times, worked like a charm. I've only run soft shackles through it, but I'm sure a steel shackle would work just the same.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Could always go with the Badlands thimble if you want to keep cost down, I think it was $44? I’m using one as a placeholder until my flatlink gets here.

C5CE4A71-5A74-4081-960F-AB5A7AF9EC38.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Could always go with the Badlands thimble if you want to keep cost down, I think it was $44? I’m using one as a placeholder until my flatlink gets here.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which winch hook/shackle do you guys recommend. C5CE4A71-5A74-4081-960F-AB5A7AF9EC38
I really like the clean look, but can totally see myself busting a knee on that going around my Jeep in the garage….. otherwise, I was lesning towards this one.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Personally I don’t think it’s worth swapping the hook out unless you are going to splice the new link on like the Factor55 “Splicer” or “Flatlink Slpicer.”

Those are the only links that truly reduce the number of failure points in your line.

I have the Flatlink Splicer on my Jeep and like that it reduces the number of potential failure points, weighs less than a standard thimble and winch hook, can be reattached fairly easily on the trail, and still snugs up to the fairlead nicely.

Wrote a bit about it here.

EDIT: The TRE one @Chocolate Thunder uses accomplishes the same thing and would be a great route as well.

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
All of them will work, really comes down to preference. As far as shackles go I carry D rings and soft shackles

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Which winch hook/shackle do you guys recommend. IMG_6581 copy

I'm a fan of the Factor 55 gear. The yellow plastic is just a template (flexible cutting board) to see if it keeps my winch drum/synthetic cable from getting road salt/chemicals all over the drum.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Except for my Bubba recovery rope, I went with Factor55 for the rest of my winch equipment, including the Ultrahook with rope guard and 1" fairlead...

Jeep Wrangler JL Which winch hook/shackle do you guys recommend. 20220806_091443_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Which winch hook/shackle do you guys recommend. 20210511_091222

Buddy Lee

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Another option to consider is no hook. I try to minimize the amount of metal needed for all of my winching operations. I just leave the rope thimble open and attach it with a small steel shackle to secure it. When I need to use the winch my first choice is to use soft shackles with the thimble.
If something breaks during the operation, there will be no metal pieces flying at me or anyone else. I always carry metal shackles and other recovery gear just in case I need them, but my default is soft shackles.

IMG_1300.jpeg

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Which winch hook/shackle do you guys recommend. IMG_1300

I'm a fan of the Factor 55 gear. The yellow plastic is just a template (flexible cutting board) to see if it keeps my winch drum/synthetic cable from getting road salt/chemicals all over the drum.
Warn makes Stealth winch covers specifically designed for either the Zeons or VR Evos. They both include zip able windows for the drum which allow full functionality without removing the whole cover.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/winch-covers/107765-warn-stealth-series-vr-winch-cover

Jeep Wrangler JL Which winch hook/shackle do you guys recommend. turoaq4thadhzppnf001

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/winch-covers/102639-warn-stealth-series-zeon-winch-cover

Jeep Wrangler JL Which winch hook/shackle do you guys recommend. msqoiys3uzhowbbtxejv

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
Flat link E, it can fit over a stock JL tow hook. Which isn’t the best idea but for an easy slow pull with the winch I feel pretty decent about it. The regular flat link can’t.
It can also accomodate the business end a standard steel shackle (not just the pin). Probably very few instances where that would be needed, but weird shit happens out on the trail. Versatility is always better....

yarmo

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I run a soft shackle at the end of mine; less weight to kill me if my line snaps...

Jeep Wrangler JL Which winch hook/shackle do you guys recommend. IMG_0851
Sponsored