Sponsored

Which was the first Jeep that made your eyes open really wide?

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Unfortunately, I will likely never have an exact answer, as the people who would know the exact model have passed on. One of my uncles (who was so cool when I was a kid) had all of the toys. One day, I walked up and he was working on his newest toy, a Jeep. I remember that he had bought it fairly used, so based on that and my memory, I am guessing it was a 1972 CJ5 (see a picture here, which is likely the same color as well).

My dad told me how impractical it was, how bad it drove, blah, blah, blah ... I just remember thinking it was the definition of cool.

What did it for you?

1972_jeep_cj5-pic-10581-1600x1200.jpg
Sponsored

BenDiem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 991.2TT; 23 EVO RWD
Occupation
US Gov’t Contractor & Gym Rat
It has to be the JL, no question, if you are referring to overall performance, handling, braking, comfort, convenience, economy, et al.
As soon as I picked up my JL, I thought, wow this Wrangler is superior to any Wrangler built to date!
I was overwhelmed. It opened my eyes.
My JL has trounced every Wrangler I’ve ever owned or driven extensively (YJ).
As far as looks/nostalgia, I’d vote TJ. It’s my favorite Wrangler of all - no perhaps a CJ, lol.
cheers/B

Sponsored

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
It was 1978 or 79 CJ5 my friend Matt bought for dirt cheap.... Then 1981 drivers training FT Benning.... LoL an older Jeep.... my CJ7 no wait my TJ ..... Well actually it was taking the new JL for a ride ..... I was like .... damn I have to buy another one.... LOL

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
An orange 1977 Jeep CJ7 with a manual shift and a Meyers snow plow.
A friend of my father had it and stopped into the yard for a beer (or two) on a stormy Friday night, and with about 8" of snow on the ground already, the yard needed plowing.
Got to plow about 3 acres of truck yard with that thing. Vowed right then and there that I would own a Jeep one day. Been buying them off and on ever since.

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Actually, my first one, which I posted about in my intro post. 96 or 97 blue (my wife said periwinkle) that we bought used. It was less visual and more feel, actually that did it. The first summer evening long drive down state highways and county roads with the top down, music up, and the moon rising.

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
My brother in laws CJ5. Probably about a 1977 model. I had just got back from basic training and tech school for the Air Force Reserves.

Decided I had to get one too after doing some 4 wheeling with him and that CJ. I had gotten back from training the day before Thanksgiving. Finally picked up an used 1979 CJ5 in New Years Eve.

Traded in my Datsun 280z. Fun car but the Jeep was my next ride until the soft top and Minnesota winters couldn't get along.

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
When I was a kid in the 1960's, a 1967 Jeep CJ5, red, that my next door neighbor's babysitter drove.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which was the first Jeep that made your eyes open really wide? 11652916-1967-jeep-cj5-std

Looked pretty much like the one above. Thought it was the coolest vehicle ever.

Best,
-Tim
Sponsored