Sponsored

Which Warranty Did You Get? And how much did it cost?

What warranty did you get?

• Total voters

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
My dealer gives the Lifetime warranty for free, if you do all factory maintenance service through them.
My Dad advised me to always go back the dealer you bought the vehicle from for factory maintenance service since they appreciate your business and loyalty and will cover things out of warranty just because of that, and I saw that happen first hand with all the vehicles he owned. I won't be able to go back to the dealer where I purchased my JLUS since I am moving two hours away in a different city a month after I get the JLUS. Once I arrive in Erie I am definitely stopping in the nearest Jeep dealership up there and developing a relationship with them!
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
My Dad advised me to always go back the dealer you bought the vehicle from for factory maintenance service since they appreciate your business and loyalty and will cover things out of warranty just because of that, and I saw that happen first hand with all the vehicles he owned. I won't be able to go back to the dealer where I purchased my JLUS since I am moving two hours away in a different city a month after I get the JLUS. Once I arrive in Erie I am definitely stopping in the nearest Jeep dealership up there and developing a relationship with them!
From my experience dealer loyalty to a customer is a thing of the past....especially out of warranty. Don’t kid yourself, if even a mildly expensive repair out of warranty, the dealer is not going to comp you the repair. Not sure how you’re going to develop a relationship...donuts for the service staff is a start, but at best that might net you a free diagnosis or more reasonable treatment...but it won’t substitute for an extended warranty.

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
From my experience dealer loyalty to a customer is a thing of the past....especially out of warranty. Don’t kid yourself, if even a mildly expensive repair out of warranty, the dealer is not going to comp you the repair. Not sure how you’re going to develop a relationship...donuts for the service staff is a start, but at best that might net you a free diagnosis or more reasonable treatment...but it won’t substitute for an extended warranty.
unfortunately nothing is like the old days

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Considering lifetime warranty for the JL. I understand it's not transferable but does that apply if it's being passed down to your child? We have no plans to sell the JL and even thinking that it could be our son's first car down the road which is why i was thinking the lifetime warranty may be good.

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Have a JLUR close on order and debating the same exact thing as I have a son who is 12 so he could be driving this thing 5-6 years from now.

I'd just plan to keep the vehicle in my name and on our insurance at that point though so any warranty would still apply. If it were to get shifted to his name there is probably a problem as the vehicle has been transferred.

Still not sure if I'll get it or not though. I'm not traditionally big on these extended warranties and they don't usually cover all the stuff you know you'll need to replace like tires, brakes or other normal wear and tear stuff. So you're basically prepaying a couple thousand dollars in repairs that may or may not happen.

I don't know....If I could get a decent deal I might consider it.

Considering lifetime warranty for the JL. I understand it's not transferable but does that apply if it's being passed down to your child? We have no plans to sell the JL and even thinking that it could be our son's first car down the road which is why i was thinking the lifetime warranty may be good.

Sponsored

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 JLR
Is that a thing anymore? I thought they got rid of that

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
If the OP had invested the cost of the extended warranty in the stock market 2.5 years ago (original post date) Trump's bull market gains would have paid for a new Jeep by now.

[Well, that may be overstating it a bit :)]

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
The Mopar Maxcare Lifetime warranty is no longer offered. I believe the max they now offer is 7 or 8 years.

We had the above lifetime warranty on our JK. It more than paid for itself in the 7.5 years we owned it. I have the same warranty on my 2018 GC. Although I have yet to use it (still under original factory) I feel that I will get my money's worth out of it eventually.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
We had the above lifetime warranty on our JK. It more than paid for itself in the 7.5 years we owned it. I have the same warranty on my 2018 GC. Although I have yet to use it (still under original factory) I feel that I will get my money's worth out of it eventually.
Not that I doubt you in the least, but how do the warranty companies stay in business since the vast majority of forum members feel like they've come out ahead? If what's reported is true (and, I have no reason to believe that it's not) it seems like a going-out-of-business-strategy on the part of the warranty providers.

• Haha
Reactions: GtX

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Agree. Warranties are like insurance. Collect cash from a bunch of people, hope many don't use it.

Companies wouldn't stay in business if more money was going out than was coming it.

I mean, I've owned a lot of cars the past 20 years. In that span, I've generally keep my cars for around 5 years and 70,000-75,000 miles or so. And I don't recall ever having a repair that I had to pay $1,500 or more for out of my pocket that would've been covered by an extended warranty. Maybe I've been super lucky, I don't know. I even remember having a an extended warranty on one vehicle that my wife insisted on getting and it was never used.

I've had plenty of brakes, rotors, mufflers, tires and other wear and tear type repairs I've had to do and they add up. But they're never covered.

And I've had other mechanical issues during the first 3 years that I've had covered before. But those problems generally seem to show themselves within 3 years or 36,000 miles.

So I don't know.

I have a JLUR on order though and still debating what I'll say when they ask me about warranty coverage. There's a lot of stuff going on with this vehicle so maybe I'll opt for something. And I do plan to keep this vehicle beyond 5 years as I'm thinking it'll be a nice vehicle for my son to drive 6-7 years from now. So an extended warranty might make some sense if I feel like the price is right. I mean, if I could pay $1,000 for 5 years of additional coverage, I might do it. But I don't know.

Not that I doubt you in the least, but how do the warranty companies stay in business since the vast majority of forum members feel like they've come out ahead? If what's reported is true (and, I have no reason to believe that it's not) it seems like a-going-out-of-business-strategy on the part of the warranty providers.

Sponsored

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Not that I doubt you in the least, but how do the warranty companies stay in business since the vast majority of forum members feel like they've come out ahead? If what's reported is true (and, I have no reason to believe that it's not) it seems like a going-out-of-business-strategy on the part of the warranty providers.
For everyone that came out ahead, there are probably 5 or 10 who never used it. These warranties are a license to print money for the dealers and companies

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Agree. Warranties are like insurance. Collect cash from a bunch of people, hope many don't use it.

Companies wouldn't stay in business if more money was going out than was coming it.

I mean, I've owned a lot of cars the past 20 years. In that span, I've generally keep my cars for around 5 years and 70,000-75,000 miles or so. And I don't recall ever having a repair that I had to pay $1,500 or more for out of my pocket that would've been covered by an extended warranty. Maybe I've been super lucky, I don't know. I even remember having a an extended warranty on one vehicle that my wife insisted on getting and it was never used.

I've had plenty of brakes, rotors, mufflers, tires and other wear and tear type repairs I've had to do and they add up. But they're never covered.

And I've had other mechanical issues during the first 3 years that I've had covered before. But those problems generally seem to show themselves within 3 years or 36,000 miles.

So I don't know.

I have a JLUR on order though and still debating what I'll say when they ask me about warranty coverage. There's a lot of stuff going on with this vehicle so maybe I'll opt for something. And I do plan to keep this vehicle beyond 5 years as I'm thinking it'll be a nice vehicle for my son to drive 6-7 years from now. So an extended warranty might make some sense if I feel like the price is right. I mean, if I could pay $1,000 for 5 years of additional coverage, I might do it. But I don't know.
Check out GEICO's Mechanical Breakdown Insurance. Cheap. Cancelable. Financially backed by Berkshire Hathaway. Costs (way) less than $100/year. I've never bought an extended warranty in my life, but I'm trying the MBI on my new ride.

It costs about the same as rental car coverage on your auto policy.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mopar 6yr/85k for $895
My JLURD comes with a five year power train warranty. Is the six years concurrent with the factory warranty? If it’s additive, I’m sold. If it’s for one extra year, not so much.
Sponsored