Which trailer to buy?

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Hey guys/gals. I recently traded my 2014 Ram, for a JL. This will be the first time in over 20 years that I haven't owned a truck. I don't do any serious work with my tuck, but I do haul lumber, misc household items, etc on a fairly regular basis. So the first order of business is to get a trailer to haul anything that doesn't fit into the cargo area of the Jeep.
I have dogs, so I have a fence around my back yard. I'd rather not rebuild the gate to make an opening big enough to get a trailer through. I stumbled across some folding trailers, which will fit nicely into my garage, and though they are light duty (1,700 lb capacity), they'll do just fine for what I intend to haul. I've still got access to a HD pickup (my brother's truck) if I need anything big. This will be for convenient small loads like plywood, or an appliance so I don't have to keep borrowing his truck/trailer.

So that's the back story, now the question. Do I buy the steel trailer or aluminum trailer?
Both are 5 x 8 with 12" diameter tires. They've got the same max load and fold the same way. The only difference is the material, curb weight and price tag.
Anyone have any experience towing with a Wrangler or with the Ironton vs Ultra-Tow trailers?
The steel trailer weighs roughly 274 lbs. whereas the aluminum trailer weights 186 lbs.
The steel trailer is about $70 cheaper than the aluminum trailer.

Is it worth the extra $70 to get the aluminum trailer? With as light as they are, I assume they'll both bounce around a bit, but at the same time I assume they'll both tow easily behind a Wrangler with the tow package since they're so light. Will that 88 lb difference make a difference in how it tows? I know on my Ram that weight difference would be nothing, but my Ram was a lot heavier than my Wrangler.

Any tips, recommendations, or personal experiences?
Sponsored

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
I'd get 13 in tires, not a big fan of the fold up, I have a 5x8 fold down ramp with wood floor. Harbor freight does have fold up trailers too.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yeah, I first saw the Harbor Freight trailer. Can't seem to find them now. Any experience with the Harbor Freight folding trailer?

I need to get the folding trainer (not just a folding ramp), because I want to stand it up in my garage. I don't have anywhere to store a conventional trailer, without taking apart, and rebuilding, the front/gate of the fence around the back yard. Not only would the gate need reconfigured, but my wife has a garden next to the gate so that would need relocated as well.
Folding trailers aren't heavy duty, but I've got access to heavier stuff if I need it. I'd buy a conventional trailer and store it at my brother's but at the point I'm going to his place to get my trailer I'd just borrow his.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Shots

I know nothing of the trailer you are speaking of... BUT can tell you that once you have owned a decent aluminum trailer (Utility, Motorcycle, etc.) you would never ever consider a steel trailer again.

Aluminum, is lighter, no rusting, never have to repaint, looks decent for years and years. All you have to do is weather coat the wood deck and maintain your electrical.

Steel/Iron trailers usually look like chittt after a few years. Unless you garage them and keep up with the friggin rust.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Well the idea of a folding trailer is so you can manually move it around by hand, right? In that case, the lighter the better. Aluminum all the way!!
My trailer is 6.5x12 and weighs almost 1,000 lbs. so when you hook that tiny trailer to your Jeep you won't even know it's there.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on your usage. I didn't like my Harbor Freight trailer. Felt like a toy and I didn't trust those itty bitty tires on the freeway. I prefer something with larger tires and good radial tires instead of the bias ply that came on my Harbor Freight.

Gilroy

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I have the Harbor Freight 8 foot folding trailer. I only use it a few times a year so it’s been well worth the price. I haven’t had a moments trouble with it yet either. I could see if you wanted to use something a lot more where you might want a more expensive aluminum trailer. Just my 2 cents but I would buy my trailer again tomorrow if I was in the market.

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
Big Tex 5x8’s are nice, drop down metal gate, rolled frame, wood floor.

I had a local place put a spare tire mount on it and had them remove the center tongue support and weld a low profile side one on instead, so I could drop my trucks tailgate.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
@Shots

I know nothing of the trailer you are speaking of... BUT can tell you that once you have owned a decent aluminum trailer (Utility, Motorcycle, etc.) you would never ever consider a steel trailer again.

Aluminum, is lighter, no rusting, never have to repaint, looks decent for years and years. All you have to do is weather coat the wood deck and maintain your electrical.

Steel/Iron trailers usually look like chittt after a few years. Unless you garage them and keep up with the friggin rust.
I would have to agree. Aluminum....
I also don’t really notice the thing back there. These JLs are great.

3A70B48B-3846-406F-AA6C-0A09C01AB744.jpeg

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I also don’t really notice the thing back there. These JLs are great.

3A70B48B-3846-406F-AA6C-0A09C01AB744.jpeg
@OnlyOne

The particular trailer you have, the 14" all aluminum, Polaris, RANGER/RZR Ranger 10-LA is a very good example of a very decent aluminum trailer. Well worth the $2300+- . A trailer like that, if you maintain the deck yearly, grease the hubs, maintain the electrical, maintain the coupler and tires and it will last many many years.

My current 10' Compliment, all aluminum utility trailer was purchased new in 2004 and still looks new. It has just over 126,000 miles on it so far. All those miles being loaded up with a Harley and pulled behind different Wrangler's I have owned.

And yes, the Wrangler is a pleasure to tow with.. This includes the 2dr. JL.

kstjarre

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLU Sport S, 2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
I have a 5x8 trailer from Tractor Supply with the 13 inch tires and the fold down ramp. It is solid built and not too heavy. It has more deck space than a pickup truck and easier to load things with the low height and the folding gate. It cost around $650 new and was definatly worth it in my opinion.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
... BUT can tell you that once you have owned a decent aluminum trailer (Utility, Motorcycle, etc.) you would never ever consider a steel trailer again.....
I also don’t really notice the thing back there. These JLs are great
That's good to know. Obviously the trailer companies that make them say the same thing, but I assumed it was marketing. Good to hear that actual owners saying the same thing.

Well the idea of a folding trailer is so you can manually move it around by hand, right? In that case, the lighter the better. Aluminum all the way!!
My trailer is 6.5x12 and weighs almost 1,000 lbs. so when you hook that tiny trailer to your Jeep you won't even know it's there.
Yes, the idea of a folding trailer is so you can stand it on end, and roll it against a wall. It only takes up a roughly 2 x 6 footprint rather than a 6 x 11 footprint. I can either keep it in the garage, or stand it on end to roll through the gate, then fold it down and keep it out back behind the shed. Aluminum would be easier for both, good point.

Depends on your usage. I didn't like my Harbor Freight trailer. Felt like a toy and I didn't trust those itty bitty tires on the freeway. I prefer something with larger tires and good radial tires instead of the bias ply that came on my Harbor Freight.
Yeah, I like actual tires better too. I'm not sure abut the trailer you had, but the two I'm looking at both say max speed of 55, so they apparently don't recommend them for the freeway either. At some point I may change the tires though. Not right away, I'm only using it for little things, like the occasional sheet of wood/drywall, or the random large item (chair, couch, appliance) that we may pick up from time to time.

I have the Harbor Freight 8 foot folding trailer. I only use it a few times a year so it’s been well worth the price. I haven’t had a moments trouble with it yet either. I could see if you wanted to use something a lot more where you might want a more expensive aluminum trailer. Just my 2 cents but I would buy my trailer again tomorrow if I was in the market.
That is really good to know. Like you, I only expect to use it a few times a year. Most stuff, I'll just put in the back of the Jeep. I just need this for the things that are too big to fit in the JL and don't require a HD truck/trailer.

You guys have been really helpful, thanks a lot.

OhReally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hellayella JLUS, Honda Odyssey
I have the harbor freight trailer and it has been great for doing random tasks like hauling wood or large tools around. I'm not 100% comfortable with some things on it though. I tested to see if my Sportsman 570 will fit on it but I'm a little nervous to pull it anywhere.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, yeah for light stuff around town the Harbor Freight is great. I loved mine for that.
Sponsored