Sponsored

Which to buy, new JL or used JK - suspension concern

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
Hi all,
I have been debating back and forth on what to buy as the title suggests: a new JL Willys or 2016 Backcountry. Every review I've read or watched says how much nicer the on road handling is on the new JL compared to the previous gen. I'm wondering how a modified JK suspension would stack up to a stock JL? If I get the JK, I'll have more opportunity to modify, but if I get the JL I'd likely leave it stock for some time. My goal is to keep it mild as I'm not aiming for a high lift, I just don't like a lot of body roll and pitch. I don't want it too jarring of a ride either, but I'm ok with firm. I'm just concerned with the new geometry layout of the JL, the JK will always fall behind. If I did get the JK, I'd probably go with stock height or Synergy 1" lift springs, Fox 2.0 shocks, and Hellwig sways. Or something similar.

So if anyone has comparisons to a modified JK, can it be built to match the ride quality of the JL?

Thanks!
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Hi all,
I have been debating back and forth on what to buy as the title suggests: a new JL Willys or 2016 Backcountry. Every review I've read or watched says how much nicer the on road handling is on the new JL compared to the previous gen. I'm wondering how a modified JK suspension would stack up to a stock JL? If I get the JK, I'll have more opportunity to modify, but if I get the JL I'd likely leave it stock for some time. My goal is to keep it mild as I'm not aiming for a high lift, I just don't like a lot of body roll and pitch. I don't want it too jarring of a ride either, but I'm ok with firm. I'm just concerned with the new geometry layout of the JL, the JK will always fall behind. If I did get the JK, I'd probably go with stock height or Synergy 1" lift springs, Fox 2.0 shocks, and Hellwig sways. Or something similar.

So if anyone has comparisons to a modified JK, can it be built to match the ride quality of the JL?

Thanks!
I own a 17 JKU and a 19 JL. Both are factory stock. I can tell you that there is a world of difference between the two. I'm also looking into ways to get the JKU to feel more like my JL. But I've just accepted the fact that's the difference between the two models. Good luck in whatever you decide. :like: You can always own more than one:angel:

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Test drove both back in 2018. There simply was no comparison.

I don't see a feasible or reliable way to match the JL by modding a JK, and that goes far beyond suspension. Literally every aspect of the vehicle was improved in the JL. I tried, hard, because I'm a cheapass, to justify the JK and could not do it.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Get the JL. The interior, the ride, the build quality, fit and finish, incredible auto trans, and much, much better looks are so worth it. The JK is a rough old beast and I couldn't justify one throughout the entirety of its decade long run - the interior, questionably styled exterior and terrible ride quality just never did it for me. Get the JL, slap some sub$1000 rubicon KO2 takeoff wheels and tires on and don't look back. Especially with leather the JL feels nicer than my outgoing 2014 Audi S5 did, and rides nearly as well.

In this case the extra cash is absolutely worth the spend.

Sponsored

desync0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport in Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't have any problem with the steering in my 2011 JK, the ratio was a bit slower than the JL but nothing earth shattering. My JL rides a bit better but it's a sport with a soft top so it's got the softest springs and my JK was a Sahara with the rubi springs and shocks.

The build quality, NVH and interior on the other hand is night and day and worth it just for that.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My 2014 JKUR with Metal Cloak suspension rode nicer than my JLUR does, but the JL interior is far ahead of the game. So hoping once the JL gets the MC lift and upgraded steering bits, that “plush firmness” (I know that doesn’t make sense) maybe it will be my new Maybach car.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
My 2014 JKUR with Metal Cloak suspension rode nicer than my JLUR does, but the JL interior is far ahead of the game. So hoping once the JL gets the MC lift and upgraded steering bits, that “plush firmness” (I know that doesn’t make sense) maybe it will be my new Maybach car.
Got a link for your JK's MC suspension? I'd like to look at it and see if it's something I would like to do to mine. The JKU is my husband's baby, so it's (currently ;) ) not an option to upgrade to the JLU. Thanks:like:

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Got a link for your JK's MC suspension? I'd like to look at it and see if it's something I would like to do to mine. The JKU is my husband's baby, so it's (currently ;) ) not an option to upgrade to the JLU. Thanks:like:
https://metalcloak.com/jeep-jk-wrangler-2-5-game-changer-suspension-systems.html

I had the 2.5” on mine but the 3.5” would work also. I did not do their crazy shocks. Had Old Man Emu shocks paired with this setup.

Sold the Jeep with 13k on the system. New owner put another 40k miles on it before he sold the Jeep. No issues, he also praised the suspension. It’s not the most affordable, but IMO the best engineered.

EDBB1C49-52FC-40D2-925E-EEC12E6E0742.jpeg

82FB3EDA-010D-45A7-B4BC-A6C3C5FF066F.jpeg

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
https://metalcloak.com/jeep-jk-wrangler-2-5-game-changer-suspension-systems.html

I had the 2.5” on mine but the 3.5” would work also. I did not do their crazy shocks. Had Old Man Emu shocks paired with this setup.

Sold the Jeep with 13k on the system. New owner put another 40k miles on it before he sold the Jeep. No issues, he also praised the suspension. It’s not the most affordable, but IMO the best engineered.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which to buy, new JL or used JK - suspension concern 82FB3EDA-010D-45A7-B4BC-A6C3C5FF066F

Jeep Wrangler JL Which to buy, new JL or used JK - suspension concern 82FB3EDA-010D-45A7-B4BC-A6C3C5FF066F
Thanks and yes that looks awesome :like:

Sponsored

OP
OP
zakaron

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
Thank you everyone for your input. I have to admit & agree with what's been stated: the JL does have a lot of other improvements that seem to make it an overall more complete package. Generally I prefer tactile knobs and buttons to touchscreen, but I may just have to put that aside and get with the times... lol

@GreyFox @Notorious > It's funny because for a brief second I gave it a thought of "why don't I just buy both!". Reality took hold a minute later, so I need to pick one. If I get my wife to like the JL, maybe down the road I can get another "project car" and build a JK. Hmmm...

@Goosed > I like the sounds of the Metalcloak setup and have heard good things about their systems. I hope their JL kit is just as good as you make their JK sound. Those pics look good.

@jessedacri > that is some high praise to compare the ride to an S5. I almost ended up with a B8 S4, so I know that chassis is well refined. So instead of the S4, I went in the opposite direction and decided to look into the Wrangler. I've had a secret admiration for many years, but think I'm ready to finally jump into one. I briefly drove a 4 cyl TJ manual back in early 2000's and have respected them ever since.

The one aspect that drew me to the new JL is the fact that you can still order one with a manual. I was happy to see that not only did they still offer one, but appears to be much improved. Sadly the diesel is not available with one, or this discussion would have been over long ago. How's that saying go? Jeep, shut up and take my money!

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Thank you everyone for your input. I have to admit & agree with what's been stated: the JL does have a lot of other improvements that seem to make it an overall more complete package. Generally I prefer tactile knobs and buttons to touchscreen, but I may just have to put that aside and get with the times... lol

@GreyFox @Notorious > It's funny because for a brief second I gave it a thought of "why don't I just buy both!". Reality took hold a minute later, so I need to pick one. If I get my wife to like the JL, maybe down the road I can get another "project car" and build a JK. Hmmm...

@Goosed > I like the sounds of the Metalcloak setup and have heard good things about their systems. I hope their JL kit is just as good as you make their JK sound. Those pics look good.

@jessedacri > that is some high praise to compare the ride to an S5. I almost ended up with a B8 S4, so I know that chassis is well refined. So instead of the S4, I went in the opposite direction and decided to look into the Wrangler. I've had a secret admiration for many years, but think I'm ready to finally jump into one. I briefly drove a 4 cyl TJ manual back in early 2000's and have respected them ever since.

The one aspect that drew me to the new JL is the fact that you can still order one with a manual. I was happy to see that not only did they still offer one, but appears to be much improved. Sadly the diesel is not available with one, or this discussion would have been over long ago. How's that saying go? Jeep, shut up and take my money!
I had the B8.5 S5 - agreed they're refined and really fun cars. I seeked it out in stick but once I drove the DSG trans I was hooked on the real time, crisp "farts" as you shifted. That being said, drive the 3.6/auto combo in a Wrangler if you can before you make any decisions. The 8-speed ZF trans is lightning quick, is always right where you need it to be in the powerband and exhibits that same crisp upshift like the DSG had when you're shifting manually. It's the same transmission Audi moved to in the B9 S4/S5. I can't speak to the diesel but I would assume it's going to be a similar experience in terms of the transmission, although I know they're using something slightly different behind that motor. tldr: autos have come a long way. I prefer it for trailing/crawling but I do miss stick every once in awhile ever since I sold my old 135i.

No manual unfortunately for the diesel as FCA doesn't have a manual box in-house that can handle much more than 300lb-ft of torque.
Sponsored