Which Switchboard for 2.0t?

Newyorkyan

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon
Looking to install a switch box on my JLUR (with 6-8 switches) something like the MLC-6 for my Aux lights and other future mods (winch, rock lights, and air compressor) which I will be doing eventually, which will require a lot of wiring. To my surprise though, I can’t find one that will fit the 2.0t engine bay unless I’m not looking on the right sites. I’ve heard of Spods, but not sure which one to get in case it don’t fit my car. I appreciate for any help on this!
Sponsored

ericdrob67

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR EcoDiesel, '19 GMC Terrain, '16 Suburban
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to install a switch box on my JLUR (with 6-8 switches) something like the MLC-6 for my Aux lights and other future mods (winch, rock lights, and air compressor) which I will be doing eventually, which will require a lot of wiring. To my surprise though, I can’t find one that will fit the 2.0t engine bay unless I’m not looking on the right sites. I’ve heard of Spods, but not sure which one to get in case it don’t fit my car. I appreciate for any help on this!
With the relative newness of the 2.0 JL you might be further ahead finding a switch panel you like and using standard size 12v 40a relays.

On the passenger side of main battery there is room enough for quite a few individual relays. Making your own 2x3(or bigger) relay block is relatively easy. Standard 40a relays w/wiring harness are about $1.50 each and Waterproof w/wiring harness are about $5.00 on Ebay. Id recommend waterproof for under hood use.

Pros:
you can use as few or many relays as you need for what ever uses.
can find replacement relays nearly anywhere in the event of a failure(they will eventually wear out, keeping a spare is easy).
FAR less expensive than a store bought switch/relay system
you can put relays where ever is convenient or best suited for that item(under hood, in cab, in back, etc)
you can wire relays for positive or negative trigger depending on application
im sure there are more i missed/forgot about

Cons:
does require 12v electrical knowledge(plenty of how to videos on youtube)
will definitely seem overwhelming to beginners at first
Not as neat & tidy as a store bought switch/relay system(can definitely have a neat & professional appearance if you take the time to do so though)
more labor intensive than a store bought switch/relay system
requires more planning(eg "I like this 8 switch panel with 4 water proof relays under hood, 2 standard relay in cab and 2 in trunk, so i need one X, two Y's and four Z's, etc")

You didnt mention if you have tow/electrical group for the four AUX switches. Adding that might be a possibility if your JL has all the other requisite wiring/parts/etc and will also require a dealer flash or JL tazer to enable. Seems cost prohibitive to add if you dont have it already though.

Jeep community is strong in NY, if you're not comfortable doing it your self im sure some one near by would be willing to lend a hand.

OP
OP
Newyorkyan

Newyorkyan

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon
With the relative newness of the 2.0 JL you might be further ahead finding a switch panel you like and using standard size 12v 40a relays.

On the passenger side of main battery there is room enough for quite a few individual relays. Making your own 2x3(or bigger) relay block is relatively easy. Standard 40a relays w/wiring harness are about $1.50 each and Waterproof w/wiring harness are about $5.00 on Ebay. Id recommend waterproof for under hood use.

Pros:
you can use as few or many relays as you need for what ever uses.
can find replacement relays nearly anywhere in the event of a failure(they will eventually wear out, keeping a spare is easy).
FAR less expensive than a store bought switch/relay system
you can put relays where ever is convenient or best suited for that item(under hood, in cab, in back, etc)
you can wire relays for positive or negative trigger depending on application

Cons:
does require 12v electrical knowledge(plenty of how to videos on youtube)
will definitely seem overwhelming to beginners at first
Not as neat & tidy as a store bought switch/relay system(can definitely have a neat & professional appearance if you take the time to do so though)
more labor intensive than a store bought switch/relay system
requires more planning(eg "I like this 8 switch panel with 4 water proof relays under hood, 2 standard relay in cab and 2 in trunk, so i need one X, two Y's and four Z's, etc")

You didnt mention if you have tow/electrical group for the four AUX switches. Adding that might be a possibility if your JL has all the other requisite wiring/parts/etc and will also require a dealer flash or JL tazer to enable. Seems cost prohibitive to add if you dont have it already though.

Jeep community is strong in NY, if you're not comfortable doing it your self im sure some one near by would be willing to lend a hand.
I appreciate all the input! I actually decided not to install a switchboard wland just have a local shop install my lights for me with a rocket switch inside for each mod I end up doing. But again thanks for all the info!
Sponsored