Sponsored

which sway bar quick disconnects?

DMortensen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Just looking for some quick opinions on which quick disconnects I should get. Ready...Go! Oh, and thanks!
Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I had a set of Rubicon Express quick disconnects and they were quality
oh.... a note on these, they did require cutting off a tab from the axle to work. I don't know if they all require this, but something to note. It seemed like a big deal at the time when I did it. It feels so permanent

Dalvarado55

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport 2.0, MC 3.5" lift, Rubi Axles

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
I also have the JKS. You do have to cut the tab off the axle as Jeepeto mentioned above about the Rubicon Express. What I'm not clear on is if this modification impacts the use of other sway bar links when I install a lift.
I installed the 0-2" JKS links on my stock suspension Moab and found they are not "quick" when you also have a winch installed. The added weight brings the nose down enough to make the disconnects a little difficult to reconnect. I recently bought front spacers but haven't installed them yet since I'm planning to install a 2" lift soon.
Also, the retaining rings do not hold up well to the salty winters. I'm going to try to replace those with marine-grade SS locking pins.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I went with the TeraFlex quick disconnects initially. No cutting required. I did have to adjust one of the TeraFlex parts to accommodate for weld spatter on the Jeep.

They always disconnected easily, but after disconnecting, I had to move the sway bar a considerable distance to get the links hooked to the parking studs. When time to connect, I had to move the sway bar again, and I never once succeeded in getting both sides to hook back up without having to go fiddle with the suspension. I found driving one wheel over a log would eventually do the trick, but I might have to do this two or three times before I finally got things close enough to hammer that link back into place.

I found that the lower studs loosened up all the time. I found that the links were just noisy going down the road. Clack clack, clack clack. They were also greasy and messy. I carried a special pair of gloves to wear just when dealing with those things, so I could avoid getting black grease and trail mud all over my steering wheel.

I ended up getting the TeraFlex, because I couldn't see spending the $$$$ on the Apex AutoLynx. If I had that decision to make all over again, I would have just stepped up in the first place. I ended up with a set of the Apex links in the end, and I love them. At least I have a basis for understanding why and how much I love them, so it's all good.

If I were you, I'd get the Apex links. I didn't try other brands of standard quick disconnects, but I don't see how the TeraFlex would have been significantly better or worse than anything else. They're all about the same. They all have the same set of problems that the Apex links were engineered to avoid.

If you want to go cheap, find a guy who replaced standard quick disconnects with the Apex, and make an offer on his takeoff parts. I know a guy who has a set just sitting on the porch right now. 😁

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-Door
oh.... a note on these, they did require cutting off a tab from the axle to work. I don't know if they all require this, but something to note. It seemed like a big deal at the time when I did it. It feels so permanent
I got the Synergy Front Sway Bar Link Relocation Brackets and the JKS Quicker disconnects. The longer mounting point had to be cut shorter to clear the end and make up for the added space of the bracket. No cutting.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/synergy...-link-relocation-brackets-wrangler-jl-8855-02

OP
OP

DMortensen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got the Synergy Front Sway Bar Link Relocation Brackets and the JKS Quicker disconnects. The longer mounting point had to be cut shorter to clear the end and make up for the added space of the bracket. No cutting.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/synergy...-link-relocation-brackets-wrangler-jl-8855-02
I am liking this idea. I see that the JKS come for either 0-2 inch lift or 2.5-6 inch. If I have a 2.5 but am using the relocation bracket am I going to want to get the 0-2 version?

Sponsored

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-Door
I am liking this idea. I see that the JKS come for either 0-2 inch lift or 2.5-6 inch. If I have a 2.5 but am using the relocation bracket am I going to want to get the 0-2 version?
yea, that’s what I did, I have the mopar 2” lift (actually 3”) and used the 0-2” version. FYI, that relocation bracket is a PITA to install, the cutting of the rubber boot where the spring is was the hardest part while it’s still on the vehicle. Maybe an hour each, very tight)
Jeep Wrangler JL which sway bar quick disconnects? 902FD714-CA0A-4414-82B1-3667460D9558

OP
OP

DMortensen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yea, that’s what I did, I have the mopar 2” lift (actually 3”) and used the 0-2” version. FYI, that relocation bracket is a PITA to install, the cutting of the rubber boot where the spring is was the hardest part while it’s still on the vehicle. Maybe an hour each, very tight)

One more question for you. Does the end link still reach the retention bracket or do you have to tie it up some other way when you disconnect?

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I went with the TeraFlex quick disconnects initially. No cutting required. I did have to adjust one of the TeraFlex parts to accommodate for weld spatter on the Jeep.

They always disconnected easily, but after disconnecting, I had to move the sway bar a considerable distance to get the links hooked to the parking studs. When time to connect, I had to move the sway bar again, and I never once succeeded in getting both sides to hook back up without having to go fiddle with the suspension. I found driving one wheel over a log would eventually do the trick, but I might have to do this two or three times before I finally got things close enough to hammer that link back into place.

I found that the lower studs loosened up all the time. I found that the links were just noisy going down the road. Clack clack, clack clack. They were also greasy and messy. I carried a special pair of gloves to wear just when dealing with those things, so I could avoid getting black grease and trail mud all over my steering wheel.

I ended up getting the TeraFlex, because I couldn't see spending the $$$$ on the Apex AutoLynx. If I had that decision to make all over again, I would have just stepped up in the first place. I ended up with a set of the Apex links in the end, and I love them. At least I have a basis for understanding why and how much I love them, so it's all good.

If I were you, I'd get the Apex links. I didn't try other brands of standard quick disconnects, but I don't see how the TeraFlex would have been significantly better or worse than anything else. They're all about the same. They all have the same set of problems that the Apex links were engineered to avoid.

If you want to go cheap, find a guy who replaced standard quick disconnects with the Apex, and make an offer on his takeoff parts. I know a guy who has a set just sitting on the porch right now. 😁
And no cutting/permanent modification with the Apex. I think that gets lost in the conversation sometimes.

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-Door
Yes, as long as you install the passenger and driver side bracket the end links will reach the retention bracket.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
And no cutting/permanent modification with the Apex. I think that gets lost in the conversation sometimes.
The link installation is just like factory. The only cutting could be if you have aftermarket metal fender liners.
Sponsored