Sponsored

Which soft top best for intention of swapping between hard and soft seasonally?

AMC_CJ

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Curious
Looking to get both hard and soft tops for an upcoming JLUR purchase (my midlife crisis on wheels), and trying to decide if I should do the dealer dual top group, or purchase an aftermarket soft top that might have easier switch-over. Live in Colorado, so definitely need the hard top for winter, but also want the ability to roll topless in the spring/summer/fall while having the ability to close up the soft top if the weather turns (which can happen quickly here).

Mostly, I'm looking at which top(s) would be the easiest to swap back and forth, but also want to take in to account how difficult it is to raise/lower the soft top once installed. Might even consider a power soft top if the swap out isn't too bad. Price not a huge concern.

Also planning to do the dual door group so I can roll half doors when the weather allows.

Anything you folks could recommend that I should look at, or specifically avoid?
Sponsored

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
I live in Chicago area and went with hard top for winters. I recently purchased the Bestop Trektop Ultra for Spring/Summer/Fall. Haven't installed yet so can't speak to the soft top yet, but my thinking there is easy top off experience for the sporadic nice days.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I have both tops (soft is the stock Mopar premium top) and switch mine out seasonally. The Mopar soft top is a breeze to install, even with the plastic parts you have to bolt on. I can put it on by myself in 10-15 minutes. With regard to lowering the soft top, I don't really see how one could be easier. The only thing that's a bit of a pain is the side/rear windows and just finding a place to put them.

The hardtop is a different story. I live in a condo with a parking deck so I don't have one of those ceiling mounted winch/lift things and the top is heavy as hell. I've scratched my rear passenger door in a few places trying to get that thing back on.

Lmike6453

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude (Black)
Hard top and buy Bestop Sunrider. Best of both worlds and can keep on year round.
Sponsored