Sponsored

Which Skid Plates Provide the Best Ground Clearance?

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve got the aluminum Artec setup and love it. I’ve turtled a few times and the skids haven’t deformed at all. The aluminum does gouge easier than steel, but it hasn’t seemed to cause any problems. This means the aluminum ones will “wear out” faster than the steel ones, but I’m fine with that. I went aluminum to keep the weight off and not worry about rust.

My “favorite” skid is the NextVenture rear diff skid. I’ve beat the hell out of mine and grateful for the length it is. Protects the pinion yolk all the way out the back. Even with 37’s, the rear diff will hit pretty often on the rocks out here in AZ.

4AAE1464-3A19-485E-B095-8740BDB032A5.jpeg

A13D3A84-8698-47B7-8256-81E6BA7342DA.jpeg
You pretty much answered my question as to whether or not there are any clearance issues with the Next Venture diff skids (I assume you didn't have any issues with them, do you have to the front also?).

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
You pretty much answered my question as to whether or not there are any clearance issues with the Next Venture diff skids (I assume you didn't have any issues with them, do you have to the front also?).
Naw, got the MC front skid. NV only released their front skid just a short time ago. So, not gonna swap those out at any point in time unless I somehow manage to destroy the front MC one.

I love my NV rear skid....thick and strong! Slides up over things nicely since it covers so much of the axle housing.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I was going to email artec, but maybe one of you know. On their site they recommend a 1.5” lift. I’m running rubicon suspension. Any idea why they recommend this 1.5” lift?
If I had to hazard a guess, it would be clearance between the front upper control arms and the brackets that support the oil pan skid, especially the driver’s side one. Nothing else suspension related really even comes close. This picture is with approximately 3.5” of lift.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which Skid Plates Provide the Best Ground Clearance? D3DF9D30-4799-4788-A17D-9521F475E81E

@5280Sapper I’m assuming you had some taller than stock bump stops to go with those 38’s?

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
If I had to hazard a guess, it would be clearance between the front upper control arms and the brackets that support the oil pan skid, especially the driver’s side one. Nothing else suspension related really even comes close. This picture is with approximately 3.5” of lift.
Good idea......but nope. It’s the front diff that hits the support arms for the skid. I know this for a fact because I installed the skids with no lift. The website didn’t say I needed a lift when I ordered it, so on it went. First drive down the street and BOOM, it bottoms out. Got the Jeep home and crawled under. The ribs that support the front pinon hit in 2 spots on the skid support. Pulled it out and started grinding on it. I eventually clearanced it enough to stop hitting. After my 3.5” lift was put on, I’ve now got a ton of clearance.

45C04442-C278-4959-BCCC-8E99D767203F.jpeg

Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
So you can install this stock, with some minor modifications?
Yup, trial and error with the grinder. I think that support piece came out 5 times before I got it to work. I didn't want to take off too much material, so I took my time.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
+1 on what people have been saying about Artec aluminum skids! I heard about them from a guy that was stock height and he never mentioned a problem with clearance. I bought it and love it! I’m really trying to keep the weight down, and this setup only adds 10 lbs.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Naw, got the MC front skid. NV only released their front skid just a short time ago. So, not gonna swap those out at any point in time unless I somehow manage to destroy the front MC one.

I love my NV rear skid....thick and strong! Slides up over things nicely since it covers so much of the axle housing.

I have the same setup on my Rubi 2-door and they are a godsend on rocky AZ trails...

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Good idea......but nope. It’s the front diff that hits the support arms for the skid. I know this for a fact because I installed the skids with no lift. The website didn’t say I needed a lift when I ordered it, so on it went. First drive down the street and BOOM, it bottoms out. Got the Jeep home and crawled under. The ribs that support the front pinon hit in 2 spots on the skid support. Pulled it out and started grinding on it. I eventually clearanced it enough to stop hitting. After my 3.5” lift was put on, I’ve now got a ton of clearance.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which Skid Plates Provide the Best Ground Clearance? 45C04442-C278-4959-BCCC-8E99D767203F
Well, my guess was close. Right bracket, wrong contact point. Lol

I would think that instead of grinding the bracket, you could instead add some front bumpstop? Might not be an ideal long term solution for someone that never plans on lifting due to the loss of up travel, but could be a good way to get by if you want the skids now, and a lift is part of your future plans.

Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Well, my guess was close. Right bracket, wrong contact point. Lol

I would think that instead of grinding the bracket, you could instead add some front bumpstop? Might not be an ideal long term solution for someone that never plans on lifting due to the loss of up travel, but could be a good way to get by if you want the skids now, and a lift is part of your future plans.
Yeah, adding a 1” puck would have worked. But, it was my DD at that point and I couldn’t wait for a bumpstop kit to show up. The metal I removed didn’t weaken the support very much as I’ve hit that skid a few times and nothing has moved.

5280Sapper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Veteran
No I trimmed mine a tiny bit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which Skid Plates Provide the Best Ground Clearance? 45C04442-C278-4959-BCCC-8E99D767203F
Sponsored