Sponsored

Which Skid Plates Provide the Best Ground Clearance?

JMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, JLUR
I'm looking for a skid plate system that provides the best ground clearance that is still strong and functional. I thought I saw a review for a system that claimed it actually INCREASED ground clearance compared to stock by something like 2". Of course, no amount of searching has helped me find that thread.

This is for a JLUR with the 3.6 engine. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
i have seen the artec markets their skid as shaving off about 3/4" and that is mainly from the fact they replace the factory gas skid with their own, a 2" claim is a big reduction, the JLs factory skids are tucked up pretty good for factory, especially compared to what you could do to the TJ and YJ

the factory skids are made from thinner sheet metal that pressed into a shade to give it added strength to try and keep costs low

Most aftermarket skids are made of of thicker flat piece of metal, because it performs better as a skid plate. The smoother the surface of the plate the most likely you are to just glide over a rock.

So I would say look at a skid plate system that provides good quality steel and in a good thickness and provides a smooth surface with sloped edges that promote gliding off of rocks, and protection of bolts is always a plus

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'm looking for a skid plate system that provides the best ground clearance that is still strong and functional. I thought I saw a review for a system that claimed it actually INCREASED ground clearance compared to stock by something like 2". Of course, no amount of searching has helped me find that thread.

This is for a JLUR with the 3.6 engine. Thanks in advance for any help.
I think this is the post you are looking for:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rough-country-skid-plates.45931/post-1087486

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Artec’s is the system that gains you some ground clearance. As was already mentioned, it is due to the fact that they have you remove the factory gas tank skid. Obviously, any system that leaves the factory gas tank skid in place cannot gain you overall ground clearance. The little you gain with the Artec is really all the space that is available (if you want a flat belly). The gas tank is the lowest spot and can’t be raised any further without smashing it into the underside of the tub or replacing it with something smaller. The exhaust crossover pipe is also at roughly the same height as well. Here’s mine, I only gained about 1/2” with the 1/4” aluminum skids.

Before:
Jeep Wrangler JL Which Skid Plates Provide the Best Ground Clearance? F913EBA0-1B22-4235-898C-431999BA1DB2

After:
Jeep Wrangler JL Which Skid Plates Provide the Best Ground Clearance? B1D5555A-49CB-42CA-B9FB-F650A93BB0ED

The real benefit in my eyes is the nice smooth belly and tucked sides, all the way from front to rear.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which Skid Plates Provide the Best Ground Clearance? 3B3550B5-F4E7-40D4-8EA8-906AC766DB79

I’ll also say Artec’s skids are the best engineered off-road product I’ve installed in my 20 years of Jeeping. No forcing, striking, bending, grinding, etc was involved which is really saying something considering you’re fitting 3 large plates, with very tight seams, spanning the entire length of the vehicle, using a combination of factory holes and an included replacement crossmember. Most places can’t seem to make a simple bracket that fits properly these days.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I agree with everything Tonyg said. The Artec system is absolutely first rate. The system creates a nice smooth underbelly which glides over obstacles. I really debated about spending the $$$ .... but it’s a premium product....and it did add about 3/4” center clearance.

Sponsored

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I opted for the steel version of the artec since I wasn't sure about the durability of aluminum. I did sacrifice some added weight but it has worked well for me with the higher clearance. My current belly height is at 20 inches and i still get turtled on ledges. I've scraped and banged the skids without them deforming at all. It is also really easy to remove individual pieces in case you need to service something. I have had no issues with the flush mounted hex bolts coming off

Rh7FrXL.jpg

For those w/ the aluminum version, how well are your skids holding up?

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I’ve got the aluminum Artec setup and love it. I’ve turtled a few times and the skids haven’t deformed at all. The aluminum does gouge easier than steel, but it hasn’t seemed to cause any problems. This means the aluminum ones will “wear out” faster than the steel ones, but I’m fine with that. I went aluminum to keep the weight off and not worry about rust.

My “favorite” skid is the NextVenture rear diff skid. I’ve beat the hell out of mine and grateful for the length it is. Protects the pinion yolk all the way out the back. Even with 37’s, the rear diff will hit pretty often on the rocks out here in AZ.

4AAE1464-3A19-485E-B095-8740BDB032A5.jpeg

A13D3A84-8698-47B7-8256-81E6BA7342DA.jpeg

Last edited:

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I’ve got the aluminum Artec setup and love it. I’ve turtled a few times and the skids haven’t deformed at all. The aluminum does gouge easier than steel, but it has seemed to cause any problems. This means the aluminum ones will “wear out” faster than the steel ones, but I’m fine with that. I went aluminum to keep the weight off and not worry about rust.

My “favorite” skid is the NextVenture rear diff skid. I’ve beat the hell out of mine and grateful for the length it is. Protects the pinion yolk all the way out the back. Even with 37’s, the rear diff will hit pretty often on the rocks out here in AZ.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which Skid Plates Provide the Best Ground Clearance? A13D3A84-8698-47B7-8256-81E6BA7342DA

Jeep Wrangler JL Which Skid Plates Provide the Best Ground Clearance? A13D3A84-8698-47B7-8256-81E6BA7342DA
Thanks for the heads up on NextVenture diff skids. Those look very well built and are now on my future purchases spreadsheet. I am not a huge rock crawler and I went with the Quadratec aluminum skid plates (engine/tranny, transfer case, and fuel tank) and I probably lost a little ground clearance, but they have been a fantastic addition after going doing Devil's Staircase on the Broken Arrow trail and the added cross members are far more robust than the stock supports for the transfer case skid. I have some slight marking, but no gouges.

This forum is awesome with people sharing their purchases, reasoning and feedback. I have learned a ton and feel I make the best choices for me (intended use and cost) based on all the discussions. I will generally always pay a bit more for a higher quality product based on application.

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
olllllllo, thanks for the post above on your Quadratec skid plates. I plan to put these on my JLUR this fall for the Engine/tranny/transfer case. Seems like a good bang for the buck. Been on the fence on the gas tank skid as I do more trail riding than rock crawling. I may add the gas tank skid later if my ideas or needs change. Some say the OEM tank protection is sufficient. Dunno. One thing I do like about the Quadratec system is that I can add to it at a later time.

Sponsored

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
My “before” picture is a few posts up, here’s the “after” pictures of my aluminum Artecs after a trip through the Rubicon...

Jeep Wrangler JL Which Skid Plates Provide the Best Ground Clearance? 50F0E859-9819-4C3A-83F2-0FAC4347A47D

Jeep Wrangler JL Which Skid Plates Provide the Best Ground Clearance? CCABB95F-42BF-4D03-A87B-409FC87E8F7D

Jeep Wrangler JL Which Skid Plates Provide the Best Ground Clearance? 533289E0-3F93-4982-A4D9-31D060129493

Jeep Wrangler JL Which Skid Plates Provide the Best Ground Clearance? 47A7C28B-7113-4085-B918-EF72AECFC89A

Jeep Wrangler JL Which Skid Plates Provide the Best Ground Clearance? 90184F12-B12A-4D07-AC1A-1C5FDAFD9A34

Skids held up great, and I spent quite a bit of time turtled on them. If there is any deformity at all, it is in this last picture. Right where the oil pan / tranny skid meets the crossmember.I’d have to throw a straight edge on it to be sure...

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I'd highly recommend Artec's skid plate system. I don't have any first hand experience with MetalCloak's so I can't really compare the two, but as I mentioned in my earlier post, the Artec skids were one of the best engineered aftermarket products I've ever installed in my 20 or so years of Jeeping. Their design checked all my boxes.

5280Sapper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Veteran
Would you recommend artec over metalcloak’s setup?
very much so... mainly because you gain ground clearance and the aluminum will last longer

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
I was going to email artec, but maybe one of you know. On their site they recommend a 1.5” lift. I’m running rubicon suspension. Any idea why they recommend this 1.5” lift?
Sponsored