Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Wow. Just Wow.

Are you the same guys I see on these forums having a conniption fit every time Consumer Reports rates the dependability of the Wrangler as below average?

I own a TJ. But I'm on these forums because I'm doing my research, trying to decide on a new vehicle - one a bit more comfortable on long off-highway trips than the TJ. (Local dealer has two of the new Broncos and I was NOT impressed.) Because of where I live and explore, dependability means a lot - quite often I'm a hundred miles from the nearest pavement. My previous Wranglers have been very dependable - I've kept each for many years. But now you guys, Wrangler owners, are telling me that you wouldn't trust one of the new JLs past the warranty period. Are you all going to force me into a Toyota 4Runner?
We are at 43k+ on our 2019 and have taken it everywhere. No issues so far. All new vehicles are the same, electronically controlled engines, transmissions, etc. Yes a sensor failure could strand you in a jl, or a jk, or your tj. Crank shaft position sensor failures are 100% no start in any modern engine. Doesn't stop me from going to remote locations. Of course I go prepared to walk out if I have to.
Sponsored

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
We are at 43k+ on our 2019 and have taken it everywhere. No issues so far. All new vehicles are the same, electronically controlled engines, transmissions, etc. Yes a sensor failure could strand you in a jl, or a jk, or your tj. Crank shaft position sensor failures are 100% no start in any modern engine. Doesn't stop me from going to remote locations. Of course I go prepared to walk out if I have to.
Well, I'm happy that SOMEONE has a dependable new Wrangler. Just finished reading the post by Dale62 about his Rubi going crazy, having to be towed - and all the others folks chiming in with similar experiences - and it makes me think I'd better stay with my old but dependable TJ!

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Wow. Just Wow.

Are you the same guys I see on these forums having a conniption fit every time Consumer Reports rates the dependability of the Wrangler as below average?

I own a TJ. But I'm on these forums because I'm doing my research, trying to decide on a new vehicle - one a bit more comfortable on long off-highway trips than the TJ. (Local dealer has two of the new Broncos and I was NOT impressed.) Because of where I live and explore, dependability means a lot - quite often I'm a hundred miles from the nearest pavement. My previous Wranglers have been very dependable - I've kept each for many years. But now you guys, Wrangler owners, are telling me that you wouldn't trust one of the new JLs past the warranty period. Are you all going to force me into a Toyota 4Runner?
This is internet logic I can't grasp. You have direct experience with Wranglers that's been good and dependable for literally years. Yet some strangers on the internet you've never met are swaying your opinion?..

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. Just Wow.

No. I have owned enough Wranglers to know first hand.

Jeep engines, transmissions and transfer cases are stout --well, for the most part...the EcoDiesel has had its share of issues, and the manual transmission has had 3 recalls.

Jeep suspensions are so-so --JKs were notorious for ball joints and steering components that wore early.

Jeep electronics...not so much. My 2012 JKUR went through 3 head units, my 2013 JKR went through four head units and the TICM went right at the end of the warranty; my 2015 JKUS went through 2 head units.

Every time the head unit in my current JL even flickers, I get palpitations. I don't even want to know how much that 8.4" screen would cost to replace...

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know what the new powertain warranty is now?
From what I am reading: 5 years/60,000 miles on gasoline engines; 5 years/100,000 miles on EcoDiesel.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Well, I'm happy that SOMEONE has a dependable new Wrangler. Just finished reading the post by Dale62 about his Rubi going crazy, having to be towed - and all the others folks chiming in with similar experiences - and it makes me think I'd better stay with my old but dependable TJ!
My JL is fine. Engine and transmissions on these jeeps are very reliable.

New vehicles are very reliable. The JL isnt bad. Those reports are absolute crap. How can you submit a report on the reliability of a vehicle before its been in the market for over a year? It is dumb.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My JL is fine. Engine and transmissions on these jeeps are very reliable.

New vehicles are very reliable. The JL isnt bad. Those reports are absolute crap. How can you submit a report on the reliability of a vehicle before its been in the market for over a year? It is dumb.
Yes, Consumer Reports is utter crap.

But JD Power surveys regular folks like you and me. They apply scientific sampling and research methods to obtain representative data. I know because I worked there. Still, Jeep doesn't even make it close to industry average in terms of problems. Crummy dealers only make it worse.

Having said that, I suspect Renegade and Compass account for a disproportionate share of those problems. My brother owned a 2015 Renegade Trailhawk: that thing was in the shop every other week!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Also those reports tend to be skewed. Lots of people modify their wranglers and do stupid things with them.

Then a lot of people who buy wranglers are very anal
and submit complaints about random stuff that people who buy corollas and civics dont even notice.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Also those reports tend to be skewed. Lots of people modify their wranglers and do stupid things with them.

and submit complaints about random stuff that people who buy corollas and civics dont even notice.
By definition every owner is "biased." So that is largely immaterial, especially after you collect sufficient sample.

Where Consumer Report fails big tiime is that it surveys its own subscribers, to whom it had told what to buy! Their sampling method is inherentily biased. Consumer Reports doesn't even attempt to appear "objective." It’s amazing that publication is read by so many people.

Deleted member 59498

Wow. Just Wow.

You can find the same or similar issues on 4Runner forums or Chevy forums. It is with every car made. There are going to be some that are just bad. The people with problems are of course going to be noticed but the million others cruising around today have no reason to post.

I have had several Jeeps over the years the only one that gave me problems was a 78 CJ and it was worn pretty well when I bought it at 20 years old. Still loved it though.

I had a brand new Chevy Silverado Trailboss LT and it was nothing but problems. Brakes failed when cold nearly ran over neighbors car, 4 or 5 recalls from seat belt catching on fire to the ECP brake problem and several electronic issues. I finally just traded it off. Doesn't mean the million of other Silverados out there are bad just I got one that was.

Had a 4Runner that was flawless and knew of others that were just bad (on forums).

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
By definition every owner is "biased." So that is largely immaterial, especially after you collect sufficient sample.
Youre working under the assumption that people buying civics and wranglers are the same group of people. And they arent. So no. That data do not get washed.

Apples to oranges. Unless you were to look at a sample of people who have the exact same demographic. Even then.

On top of that most people modify their wranglers. While civics rarely get modified.

And there are also people expectations. When they are used to drive a comfy independent suspension sedan or suv. Wranglers are not for everyone, even though Jeep wants to make it so

No statistical study is ever perfect. And too many assumptions are often made.

And by the way I owned a 2011 corolla and now own a 2020 camry. The camry is an outstanding vehicle. Best sedan you can buy imo, better than the expensive euro brands. And that corolla never flinched. But my wrangler is an outstanding machine too, i am surprised to how well made it is mechanically and i had lower expectations for it. Specially considering i beat the shit out of it.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Yes. But my 2018 has a 3-year bumper-to-bumper; that’s it.
From what I am reading: 5 years/60,000 miles on gasoline engines; 5 years/100,000 miles on EcoDiesel.
Which is the same as 2018-21.

Hence my confusion with your statement that “2022 comes with a longer powertrain warranty”. It isn’t different from prior year JL’s

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
That's an excellent point and 100% correct. As is your follow up that Wrangler owners can't be compared to the average demographic of car owners. Enthusiasts notice things the average car owner doesn't. Quite frankly many people on this board and the JL groups on facebook make issues out of absolutely nothing.

One can frequent car model forums with much larger yearly productions than Wranglers and see substantially less activity. It has nothing to do with reliability, it's demographics. Those are appliance vehicles while for many the Wrangler is part of their life. It's just not the same.

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
This is internet logic I can't grasp. You have direct experience with Wranglers that's been good and dependable for literally years. Yet some strangers on the internet you've never met are swaying your opinion?..
Yes they are!

The new JL Wranglers, with all the complicated electronics that are leaving people stranded, are NOTHING like my old dependable TJs. The TJs didn't have all of this electronic crap that would disable the Jeep so I'm happy these "strangers" are informing me there's a problem!

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yes they are!

The new JL Wranglers, with all the complicated electronics that are leaving people stranded, are NOTHING like my old dependable TJs. The TJs didn't have all of this electronic crap that would disable the Jeep so I'm happy these "strangers" are informing me there's a problem!
Yes, Wrangler owners have changed over the years. First with JK 4-door, now with JL’s complexity and astronomical prices.

Sergio Marchionne wanted to turn Jeep into Land Rover, and it is well on its way. Long gone are the days when blue-collar, DIY types and college kids bought Wranglers. Now is mostly dentists, lawyers, realtors, techies, well-off self-employed and retirees.
Sponsored