Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
FCA was testing the water earlier this year with an owner survey that hinted at the long rumored I-6 turbo engine.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which powertrain would you get? 1635344634108
That could very well mean turbocharging the existing 3.2 or 3.6 V6s.

Personally, I’d take a turbocharged Pentastar cranking out close to 500 HP in a second.

bRett32

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD
I think it is worth noting in the scope of this conversation - OP is talking about selling a 2018 to buy a 2021/2022.

I would imagine the 2018 was purchased new as its replacement would be.

Many of the posts have focused on what will be most reliable or create the least headaches when the mileage is well into 6 digit territory and the Jeep is a decade old or beyond.

I have to say - at least in this exercise - who cares?

That is the 2nd or 3rd owner's problem.

I care for and service my vehicles as if i'll have them forever, but i haven't had a car top 100,000 miles while I owned it since I was in college.

Can you have a catastrophic failure of the Ecodiesel emissions system in the first few years of ownership? Sure. Could a 4xe be plagued with electrical gremlins that take it out of service and leave your dealer completely stumped? Yep. Is it likely in either case - or for the 2.0T or 3.6? Statistically, not at all. There are folks here who've suffered all of the above and its difficult to summarize how much that would suck - but new vehicle reliability should overwhelmingly be quite solid and trustworthy for the first 4-5 years and 60K-80K miles without much beyond routine maintenance - and in the Wrangler's case a half-dozen or so windshields probably.

If this thread was about "I'm looking at these 4 used Wranglers with different powerplants - they all have XX,XXX miles - which would you choose?" - there are some hugely relevant points and things to consider posted here.

But for a new Jeep with a strong powertrain warranty and what should continue to be very strong resale value should things go fully sideways........ I think you buy what you like most not what will save you $200 in oil changes over the first decade of ownership.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I think it is worth noting in the scope of this conversation - OP is talking about selling a 2018 to buy a 2021/2022.

I would imagine the 2018 was purchased new as its replacement would be.

Many of the posts have focused on what will be most reliable or create the least headaches when the mileage is well into 6 digit territory and the Jeep is a decade old or beyond.

I have to say - at least in this exercise - who cares?

That is the 2nd or 3rd owner's problem.

I care for and service my vehicles as if i'll have them forever, but i haven't had a car top 100,000 miles while I owned it since I was in college.

Can you have a catastrophic failure of the Ecodiesel emissions system in the first few years of ownership? Sure. Could a 4xe be plagued with electrical gremlins that take it out of service and leave your dealer completely stumped? Yep. Is it likely in either case - or for the 2.0T or 3.6? Statistically, not at all. There are folks here who've suffered all of the above and its difficult to summarize how much that would suck - but new vehicle reliability should overwhelmingly be quite solid and trustworthy for the first 4-5 years and 60K-80K miles without much beyond routine maintenance - and in the Wrangler's case a half-dozen or so windshields probably.

If this thread was about "I'm looking at these 4 used Wranglers with different powerplants - they all have XX,XXX miles - which would you choose?" - there are some hugely relevant points and things to consider posted here.

But for a new Jeep with a strong powertrain warranty and what should continue to be very strong resale value should things go fully sideways........ I think you buy what you like most not what will save you $200 in oil changes over the first decade of ownership.
Good points. Personally, I haven’t owned a Jeep past its warranty. I don’t trust neither FCA quality nor dealer service enough to own one without a warranty.

My 2018 came with a 3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty. 2022 Jeeps come with a longer powertrain warranty.

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I’m a little late to this thread, but I just swapped a 2020 3.6 for a 2021 Eco and I’m amazed at the difference. I had a mechanical issue and Jeep discounted the new one.

The forum had me convinced regens required 30m at 75mph. Nah. I just took the long way to Target when one started and it was fine. Finished in less than 10m. Scanguage is a must though.

The 4xE would be my second choice.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
you aren’t factoring in maintenance costs at all. The eco diesel is the most complicated vehicle on the road.
If you do your own routine maintenance, the additional costs are negligible. $100 oil changes every 10,000 miles are not unreasonable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Aldo, be careful of listening too closely to the vocal minority.
Don’t worry, I do market research for a living; it can keep things in perspective.

Having said that, when you take into account the relatively few EcoDiesels in circulation, the number of complaints is not that insignificant. Especially on those built between 2015-2017; some of which were blowing up around 60,000 miles. To add insult to injury, FCA was caught cheating on EcoDiesel emissions. There’s a headline today that Stellantis is still trying to agree on a plea settlement on it.

Although FCA promised it had thoroughly redone the engine for its relaunch on JL/JT, there were still an inordinate number of complaints early on.

Things seem to have quieted down since then, which is very good indeed.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not 5yr/60k on gas and 5yr/100k on diesel anymore for 2022?
Yes. But my 2018 has a 3-year bumper-to-bumper; that’s it.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The four-cylinder is more fun and is torquey but it is an Italian engine so I worry about long-term durability.
The Pentastar is an Italian engine as well. [Even though my last name has more vowels than consonants, I'm not offended. :)]

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The Pentastar is an Italian engine as well. [Even though my last name has more vowels than consonants, I'm not offended. :)]
Pentastar V6 started development well BEFORE Fiat got into the picture.

The engine first appeared in mid-2010 on 2011 Chryslers and Dodges. It’s won numerous engineering and manufacturing awards since then.

Besides a brief 6-month period after the engine first appeared, the 3.6 V6 and the 8-speed automatic have both proved to be very reliable and durable.

Deleted member 59498

Good points. Personally, I haven’t owned a Jeep past its warranty. I don’t trust neither FCA quality nor dealer service enough to own one without a warranty.

My 2018 came with a 3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty. 2022 Jeeps come with a longer powertrain warranty.
Do you know what the new powertain warranty is now?

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Wow. Just Wow.

Are you the same guys I see on these forums having a conniption fit every time Consumer Reports rates the dependability of the Wrangler as below average?

I own a TJ. But I'm on these forums because I'm doing my research, trying to decide on a new vehicle - one a bit more comfortable on long off-highway trips than the TJ. (Local dealer has two of the new Broncos and I was NOT impressed.) Because of where I live and explore, dependability means a lot - quite often I'm a hundred miles from the nearest pavement. My previous Wranglers have been very dependable - I've kept each for many years. But now you guys, Wrangler owners, are telling me that you wouldn't trust one of the new JLs past the warranty period. Are you all going to force me into a Toyota 4Runner?
Sponsored