Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
My order of preference would be:
1. 4xe, because I love the tech. My mom has a gas + electric Mercedes and loves it more and more everyday. Great for quick trips.

2. eco diesel , for the torque, fuel economy and my past experience of more miles to a full tank.

3. v6 + stick, would be so much fun to drive.

4. 2.0, get decent economy and the plenty of kick for a 4 cyl.

5. v6 + auto
Sponsored

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
Plain V6 auto.....just ordered one.2021 two door Willys Sport.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Choices, Choices, Choices! it is a tough call. For me, the V6 non eTorque was the way to go. First, I wanted to get a manual trans Jeep just like my first Jeep 21 years ago. I also didn't want the eTorque system. I just don't trust FCA with any electrical or hybrid stuff. They have an inconsistent quality, especially in the area of electronics. So I also avoided all the electronic nannies like lane keep assist and front collision warning, etc. If I didn't have three naughty kids, I would have just gotten a straight-up no-frills Willys Sport with manual everything but I needed to have power windows and door locks for safety in case a kid decided to roll down the windows or unlock the doors on the highway. I like the Pentastar V6 as I have had a 2015 Chrysler 300 for 6 years without any issues whatsoever. I read that some people were able to order their Jeeps with automatics but avoid the eTorque version so if you can get an auto with the regular v6, I'd say do it. The four-cylinder is more fun and is torquey but it is an Italian engine so I worry about long-term durability. And I'm not talking 20K or 30K. I'm talking 80K - 100K range. The Diesel is just too complex with so many electronics and sensors and it is Italian as well so I don't want to deal with it.
The JL doesn't have lane keep assist. Also, the GME engine was around a long time before Jeep chucked it into the JL.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
My order of preference would be:
1. 4xe, because I love the tech. My mom has a gas + electric Mercedes and loves it more and more everyday. Great for quick trips.

2. eco diesel , for the torque, fuel economy and my past experience of more miles to a full tank.

3. v6 + stick, would be so much fun to drive.

4. 2.0, get decent economy and the plenty of kick for a 4 cyl.

5. v6 + auto
Preference 1. only if you aren’t going to keep it past the warranty there’s a lot to go wrong. IMO

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
I have about 10 months and 12K miles on my 2021 Rubicon. I absolutely love the 3.6L E-torque! Its really is fast off the line and is getting 20-22 MPG! The ESS is seriously amazing and so seamless (does not use the engines starter) you can’t feel it. It charges with regen braking so it’s like free power. The factory warranty on the E-torque system is extended out under the vehicles emissions controls to 80K. The system is actually simple and they have very very few issues with them. V6 E-torque would be my recommendation!

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have about 10 months and 12K miles on my 2021 Rubicon. I absolutely love the 3.6L E-torque! Its really is fast off the line and is getting 20-22 MPG! The ESS is seriously amazing and so seamless (does not use the engines starter) you can’t feel it. It charges with regen braking so it’s like free power. The factory warranty on the E-torque system is extended out under the vehicles emissions controls to 80K. The system is actually simple and they have very very few issues with them. V6 E-torque would be my recommendation!
The eTorque does away with the auxiliary battery, too. Correct?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
^This.
I suppose if you take your rig back to the dealer and let them do the oil changes, charging list prices for oil and filters and for the labor to do the job, it would be expensive. If you do the maintenance yourself the cost isn't nearly as high.

I've been driving diesels for more years than I can remember. Own two of them now - one is the "modern" diesel with emission controls. No issues...with the new diesel, I have seen the light come on indicating that a regeneration process is going on but if it weren't for the light I wouldn't have known. Driving diesels has spoiled me - I love how all that low end torque allows me to sail up over the high mountain passes around here without shifting down while getting much better fuel mileage than a gas engine. Makes me grit my teeth when driving up a mountain with a gas engine and the engine is screaming along over 4000 rpm.

I heard rumors a year or so ago that Jeep was developing another straight 6 engine (similar to the one that powered Jeeps for years) but a modern one with a turbo, much more horsepower, and mega-low end torque. If Jeep would just offer that engine in the Wrangler that would be my choice. I want low-end torque off road, not horsepower. Why I'm still driving my 2006 Rubicon! Only current Jeep engine that offers good low end torque now is the diesel.
Jeep Wrangler JL Which powertrain would you get? 1635248398440

I guess it depends on your definition of good low end torque? The straight 6 had a very flat torque curve, but it was still crap under 2k and only adequate above that. 215ftlbs Peak, unimpressive compared to any of the modern offerings. The 2.0t and the v6 make basically the same torque as the straight six a 2k rpm and significantly more at peak. Couple the modern engines to the 8speed and they are better from a stand still to top end and everywhere in between. Geared low enough the 4.0L was great, as long as you didn’t want to drive freeway speeds. The idea that you need torque at 1,200 rpm is ridiculous, as soon as you’re into the throttle your rpms and your power are leaps and bounds above the 4.0. The diesel makes real low end torque, the straight six was always mediocre at best. People talk about the new gas engines, especially the 2.0t like they are Honda engines that don’t make any power until 5K rpm and that is just false.
Jeep Wrangler JL Which powertrain would you get? 1635248975031

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The eTorque does away with the auxiliary battery, too. Correct?
It does away with the serviceable, inexpensive 12V aux battery in favor of a 48V independently cooled battery.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
How is it that some are still ordering 2021s and others 2022s?

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
It does away with the serviceable, inexpensive 12V aux battery in favor of a 48V independently cooled battery.
So I also frequent camera forums. Not sure if y'all have ever heard of equivalence, but in pretty much every discussion of lenses for crop-sensor cameras, some guy always has to chime in with talk about equivalence. Always. It's incredible, really, even though we are all perfectly familiar with the argument because we've heard it 10,000x before.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
So I also frequent camera forums. Not sure if y'all have ever heard of equivalence, but in pretty much every discussion of lenses for crop-sensor cameras, some guy always has to chime in with talk about equivalence. Always. It's incredible, really, even though we are all perfectly familiar with the argument because we've heard it 10,000x before.
What are you going on about?

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Straight v6
Sponsored