• Total voters

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Not really. I still remember when a V6 broke 200 HP: it was in the late 1990s; the Infiniti QX4 with the 4.0 Nissan used in the Pathfinder. Breaking 200 HP was a big deal! But you were lucky to get 15 MPG.
Ford Ranger, Dodge Dakota, GM S-10/S-15 and several others all had over 200 lb/ft of torque....well over. That was nearly 30 years ago. Jeep really dropped the ball when they tuned the P-star for barely higher levels than a 1990s Dodge 3.9. These aren't Ferraris. We needed torque, not horsepower.
Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Ford Ranger, Dodge Dakota, GM S-10/S-15 and several others all had over 200 lb/ft of torque....well over. That was nearly 30 years ago. Jeep really dropped the ball when they tuned the P-star for barely higher levels than a 1990s Dodge 3.9. These aren't Ferraris. We needed torque, not horsepower.
Ah, yeah. Torque...I agree.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Nah, I am not going there. I have owned enough HEMIs to have gotten it out of my system.

Fact: living in California I got a lifetime membership to Traffic School; that's how many tickets I used to get driving HEMIs. Even when the CHP letā€™s you exceed the posted speed limit by 15 MPH before pulling you over. šŸ˜«

Deleted member 59498

I already ordered 2022 3.0L myself. From the one I know who owns it loves it, and it is just unique and powerful for a Wrangler. I was sold when I heard it was available but was too late to get out of deal. Plus with what I can get for my trade or sell I will be out nothing so win win.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Questions for EcoDiesel owners:
  1. Have you had any issues taking your JL off-road with those giant bumpstops?
  2. Does the Mopar lift get rid of the bumpstops or they remain?

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
If you had a chance to order a 2022, which powertrain would you get and why?

Please don't forget to cast your vote.
I'd go with the Etorque V6. Mainly because it's a mature technology with a good track record. The 4xe is intriguing, but needs to prove itself over several years to convince me, anyway. The diesel is no doubt a good motor, but since I don't have experience with all the different maintenance requirements and I'm too damn old to start now, I'd pass on it.

Just my 2 cents.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Iā€™d go 4xe, the 2.0t hauling around the extra weight on a long road trip wouldnā€™t concern me at all. Our 2.0t has been hauling around 400+lbs in mods, tools, etc on 37ā€™s and factory 4.10ā€™s for 30k miles. We are not easy on her, cruise 85+ on road trips, and have been to Moab twice, Vegas twice, and Arizona twice, plus tillamook once. Each of those trips are 10+ hours each way. Still get 15-17 mpg hauling all that weight at high speed(for a JL). Get 17+ mpg on daily driving. Electric torque is amazing and would be a blast off road.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Honestly why not the eco diesel? Why are you worried about reliability if keeping the vehicles for less than 5 years and 100k miles

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Not really. I still remember when a V6 broke 200 HP: it was in the late 1990s; the Infiniti QX4 with the 4.0 Nissan used in the Pathfinder. That was on premium gas! That's how big a deal it was breaking 200 HP!

The 4.0L inline six in my 2001 Grand Cherokee cranked a whopping 190 HP! šŸ˜«
The 4.3L V-6 in my Chevy S-10 cranked a whopping 156HP, that was because the 190HP CPI was only available with an auto. That 4.3 had a ton of torque and tied to the 5-speed it was absolutely brilliant.

Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Have you seen TrailRecon's review of the ecoDiesel? He's owned the thing for six months with a Mopar Lift and driven it all over - so it's a helpful review, not one of those "reaction" vidoes.

Romans9

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Questions for EcoDiesel owners:
  1. Have you had any issues taking your JL off-road with those giant bumpstops?
  2. Does the Mopar lift get rid of the bumpstops or they remain?
1. No. Spent 4 days in Moab drove 1100 miles to get there, wheeled it, drove 1100 miles back.

Bought in April it currently has 26,000 + miles on it. I work on SCR, DPF and DEF systems for a living. There is nothing to be concerned about on the ECO Diesel. Anyone pushing a 4Xe and calling a diesel ā€œcomplicatedā€ is amusingā€¦..

2. I do not have the Mopar lift. We have 35ā€˜s.
I have a Metal Cloak lift ordered but it will be awhile before I put it on.

The diesel and the 8 speed are the closest thing to a perfect combination as I have driven. Iā€™m still amazed at the ECO Diesel/Wrangler combination.
Iā€˜ve been told the ECO Diesel actually dynoā€™s closer to 500 ft lbs and after driving it for these last few months I believe it. Fuel mileage is great. 26-30 mpg on the Highway and 24-25 in town.

Our navigation failed last week and itā€™s getting replaced this week. That appears to be common to many of the JLā€™s.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Care to elaborate?

Oil filters are $19 to $43 depending on brand. OIl is $3.79 a quart. The fuel filter is $39 every 20,000 miles.

The powertrain warranty is 40,000 miles longer than the gas offerings.

Rumors of EcoDiesel expense are usually blown a little too far out of proportion.

Just wait until that eTorque 48V battery system or MGU dies, or the 4xe electric motor or battery fails. You want to talk complicated and expensive? The EcoDiesel will seem like a gift compared to that. I've already talked to technicians about those issues on the hybrid stuff. It can get ugly.
Ah yes, because maintenance is just oil changes. All vehicles are great if you never ever have to do any repairs. Just wait until you shell a high pressure fuel pump or need injectors.
DEF exists along with the horrible exhaust regulating system.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
1. No. Spent 4 days in Moab drove 1100 miles to get there, wheeled it, drove 1100 miles back.

Bought in April it currently has 26,000 + miles on it. I work on SCR, DPF and DEF systems for a living. There is nothing to be concerned about on the ECO Diesel. Anyone pushing a 4Xe and calling a diesel ā€œcomplicatedā€ is amusingā€¦..

2. I do not have the Mopar lift. We have 35ā€˜s.
I have a Metal Cloak lift ordered but it will be awhile before I put it on.

The diesel and the 8 speed are the closest thing to a perfect combination as I have driven. Iā€™m still amazed at the ECO Diesel/Wrangler combination.
Iā€˜ve been told the ECO Diesel actually dynoā€™s closer to 500 ft lbs and after driving it for these last few months I believe it. Fuel mileage is great. 26-30 mpg on the Highway and 24-25 in town.

Our navigation failed last week and itā€™s getting replaced this week. That appears to be common to many of the JLā€™s.
Are we supposed to just pretend that the eco diesel isnā€™t going to cost extra time money and headaches compared to a NA V-6 gas engine?

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
you arenā€™t factoring in maintenance costs at all. The eco diesel is the most complicated vehicle on the road.
Care to elaborate?

Oil filters are $19 to $43 depending on brand. OIl is $3.79 a quart. The fuel filter is $39 every 20,000 miles.

The powertrain warranty is 40,000 miles longer than the gas offerings.

Rumors of EcoDiesel expense are usually blown a little too far out of proportion.

Just wait until that eTorque 48V battery system or MGU dies, or the 4xe electric motor or battery fails. You want to talk complicated and expensive? The EcoDiesel will seem like a gift compared to that. I've already talked to technicians about those issues on the hybrid stuff. It can get ugly.
^This.
I suppose if you take your rig back to the dealer and let them do the oil changes, charging list prices for oil and filters and for the labor to do the job, it would be expensive. If you do the maintenance yourself the cost isn't nearly as high.

I've been driving diesels for more years than I can remember. Own two of them now - one is the "modern" diesel with emission controls. No issues...with the new diesel, I have seen the light come on indicating that a regeneration process is going on but if it weren't for the light I wouldn't have known. Driving diesels has spoiled me - I love how all that low end torque allows me to sail up over the high mountain passes around here without shifting down while getting much better fuel mileage than a gas engine. Makes me grit my teeth when driving up a mountain with a gas engine and the engine is screaming along over 4000 rpm.

I heard rumors a year or so ago that Jeep was developing another straight 6 engine (similar to the one that powered Jeeps for years) but a modern one with a turbo, much more horsepower, and mega-low end torque. If Jeep would just offer that engine in the Wrangler that would be my choice. I want low-end torque off road, not horsepower. Why I'm still driving my 2006 Rubicon! Only current Jeep engine that offers good low end torque now is the diesel.
Sponsored