Which powered step assist?

Mamacast

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
So I just ordered a Sahara 2020 and know that I will need a powered step assist at 5'2". I will not be doing any extreme rock crawling but some rated 2-3 trails to get to my fly fishing spots. I live in a snowy climate and this will be my daily driver. I am considering Rock slide with their rated protection(they state that there are no problems with snow and cold ;-)) Bestop, and Amp. I would appreciate all input that will help with decision making and whether a non slider would be an issue given my intended us. Thanks so much!
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
So I just ordered a Sahara 2020 and know that I will need a powered step assist at 5'2". I will not be doing any extreme rock crawling but some rated 2-3 trails to get to my fly fishing spots. I live in a snowy climate and this will be my daily driver. I am considering Rock slide with their rated protection(they state that there are no problems with snow and cold ;-)) Bestop, and Amp. I would appreciate all input that will help with decision making and whether a non slider would be an issue given my intended us. Thanks so much!
The rock slide engineering steps use the pesky body bolt that has snapped for many enthusiasts and pros alike as they try to remove them. I really wanted these Rockrails/power steps but the more I personally considered it, I did not want to run the risk of snapping a bolt. I don’t know about the others you quoted. DO check how they mount so that you know what you are getting into......

absolutely buy the rockslide engineering ones if you love them. But, I would suggest professional installation given the way they mount. Some shops might not mount them. Others will. Scout around.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Nancy;

one last thing.... my wife is 5’1” if she stretches. She is absolutely able to get into and out of an unlifted Rubicon. That said, the roam sliders that we added (see profile pic) make it “simple” for her. You might wish to just use the running board that comes with your Sahara for a while and see if you like a fixed step. They have the added benefit of deflecting some dirt/rocks tossed up by the front wheels from hitting your door hinges or rear fender flare.

OP
OP

Mamacast

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Nancy;

one last thing.... my wife is 5’1” if she stretches. She is absolutely able to get into and out of an unlifted Rubicon. That said, the roam sliders that we added (see profile pic) make it “simple” for her. You might wish to just use the running board that comes with your Sahara for a while and see if you like a fixed step. They have the added benefit of deflecting some dirt/rocks tossed up by the front wheels from hitting your door hinges or rear fender flare.
That is a good word, I only know that the Rubicon I had driven was a stretch for me but the Sahara may be different. Definitely will wait until I have tried it.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I was an early adopter of the RSE steps. I got a first batch and if you would have asked me back then I would have told everyone to stay away. They were the only option back then. I installed then myself and I did not have a broken bolt issue. Maybe installing them in the warm SoCal weather helped.

I do think they have gotten better and over the last 9 months mine have been good. First time in the winter snow and slush they would close all the way. That was one issue. The solve was silicone lube of all the parts. Once I learned that it took about a week for the lube to work all in and they started working fine. Then there was the occasional they would just not work for some unknown reason. That has seemed to stop. I then had an issue that we had to troubleshoot where they wouldn’t go back up. This turned out to be the plug in the rear that goes to the controller was kicked or jarred loose.

So now I make sure I lube them occasionally and they have been great since. I doubt you will find a better looking, more effective option for both getting in the rig and protection and holding up to the rock abuse then these steps. They are built like a tank.

Cheers.

Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I have the aries actiontrac.

they look REALLY similar to the rockslide, but the selling point for me is that they are aluminum. I have no plans to rock crawl, and i need to keep my total weight under 5k for towing it.

i also got the manual button for each door sensor to allow use without doors.

best part is that using the buttons i can have the steps enabled for every door except the driver door.

at 6’4” with only 2” lift i can slide right in & out without steps:)

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Additional question - has anyone used any of these as actual rock sliders as well? My partner is 5’2 and I plan on getting a 2.5” lift for my Sahara.

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
3.5" RK with 37" Nitto RG. My wife and I are 5'4" and can get in using just the rock sliders that came stock with our Wrangler. Our twin almost 8yo are able to get in without issue. Yes they climb, but they LOVE that.

IMG_9003.jpg

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
We've been happy with the Amp Research steps we had installed on ours. 6" wide step makes my wife feel very secure.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
We've been happy with the Amp Research steps we had installed on ours. 6" wide step makes my wife feel very secure.
These look like the type of step that the OP is interested in. If I read what the OP wants correctly, she doesn’t seem to want a rockrail but rather just a convenient power step. These seem to check that box.

they also seem to mount to the pinch seam on the Jeep (as is normal for a step). That means that the pesky frame/body bolts don’t need to be touched. Check that box.

Thanks for posting these.

Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I have the AMP steps on my truck. installed them several years ago and love them except for 1 issue. They do nothing to protect the side of the truck / jeep from crap thrown up by the tires. That was the other reason I went with the Aries ActionTrac steps. FYI - the Aries use the pinch seam for mounting, no messing with the body bolts.

OP
OP

Mamacast

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
I have the AMP steps on my truck. installed them several years ago and love them except for 1 issue. They do nothing to protect the side of the truck / jeep from crap thrown up by the tires. That was the other reason I went with the Aries ActionTrac steps. FYI - the Aries use the pinch seam for mounting, no messing with the body bolts.
Great feedback thank you

BigBruse

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep rubicon
Check out RBP
STEALTH POWER RUNNING BOARDS

urr2slo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Denali Duramax, Chevy Camaro, Jeep CJ7, C7 Corvette, MB S63
I went with the Rock Slide Engineering slider/steps. Love them. I run a Performance & Jeep center and we’ve done several of these as well as the Amp steps. The Amps are great as well but more intended for the mall crawlers. I’ve had several clients damage the Amp boards on moderate trails. I actually use mine and the RSE units can’t be beat for toughness. The key to not having any issues is a proper installation, none of our clients have had any issues but we also wire our installs slightly different to ensure long term reliability, more work but eliminates the possibility of failure. As to the body bolt issues we haven’t had one break, but you can’t just impact them or break them loose with a yank on a large breaker bar, that’s how they snap. Jeep but a lot of loctite on them so you need soften it before you attempt to remove them, then you need to slowly remove them, if it feels like it’s binding, you need to work it back and forth till it loosens back up.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
I went with the Rock Slide Engineering slider/steps...
I looked at these, for all the reasons you state, but wife was not comfortable with the narrow step or relatively short step surface.
Sponsored