Sponsored

Which packages are worth it for Daily Driver use?

Yolobaggins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
1st time future Wrangler owner here

Never in my life have I researched a car so much before buying or building and pricing one! It’s got me excited

So for all those who our Wrangler veterans, which packages are a must/worth the cost (in your opinion of course) for daily driving? Won’t be towing and won’t be off roading, just a fun family weekend vehicle and daily driver

The 2 I have in mind are Alpine Sound (not 8.4) and cold weather group
Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Cold weather if you aren't in the deep south or Southern CA. Love my 8.4 but Alpine isn't all that. REALLY like the keyless entry. All weather mats are nice but Weather Tech would do.

CJTJJK-JLNOW

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR ^2
I favored packages that would keep me from messing with anything electrical later on. I got as much stereo as I could, lighting package to avoid anything aftermarket, aux and tow package since it also had wiring involved. - I’ve used all that in my daily driving and make use it enough for it to be worth it. (I tied into Aux for my dash cam and the tow hitch is not used now but at least I’m ready and won’t need anything additional added if I ever do tow.) - At the same time I skipped electrical stuff I didn’t think I’d want. (Safety and proximity entry)

You will get a ton of opinions but this was my strategy going in and helped me prioritize. I did order one for my wife at the same time and she got safety package as another set of eyes for her even though I didn’t want it for me.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OP, the packages are very, very personal selections.

the way I look at it is this:

’if I don’t get it and want to add it later, what will it cost and who will do it?”

based on that, one thing for you to consider is getting the aux switches. You may want to add lights or a winch or air compressor ..... the winch could be very helpful even when not off-roading (a friend of mine used his to pull people out of a flooded area of houston during a big storm). An air compressor makes filling tires that are low or even a bicycle tire or running an air tool very handy.
What about the wires in the cabin (under the passenger dash) that would let you hook up a radio/CB/GMRS/ham to the battery?

you may not see the need for this now but you may also regret not getting it installed by the factory.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I favored packages that would keep me from messing with anything electrical later on. I got as much stereo as I could, lighting package to avoid anything aftermarket, aux and tow package since it also had wiring involved. - I’ve used all that in my daily driving and make use it enough for it to be worth it. (I tied into Aux for my dash cam and the tow hitch is not used now but at least I’m ready and won’t need anything additional added if I ever do tow.) - At the same time I skipped electrical stuff I didn’t think I’d want. (Safety and proximity entry)

You will get a ton of opinions but this was my strategy going in and helped me prioritize. I did order one for my wife at the same time and she got safety package as another set of eyes for her even though I didn’t want it for me.
This is very good advice..... “anything to keep me messing with electrical later on....”. I feel the same way.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

get yourself a sportS or Sahara with the 8 speed and hard top with cold weather. no reason to pay out the rear end for things your not going to need. i see your in the north where it snows. id say more sahara IMO just because of the all wheel drive. and cold weather package. LED package i hear in the snow sucks due to it not melting the snow from the headlamp area. leds dont produce snow melting temps like halogen bulbs thats just my 2cents though

LTLWLLY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy's JLU Hellayella
I went with the Willy's option as it has a lot of features I would want.

Also added:

Dual top (cheaper to get hard & premium soft top when ordering)
Cold weather group (I'm in Maine, enough said)
Trailer tow/hd electric (wired auxillary switches for future use)
Upgraded 8.4" screen & alpine system

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
It is worth it to get the 8.4 instead of just the Alpine in my opinion since the 8.4 comes with the upgraded audio and a handful of other features for only a couple hundred $ more.

Here's my personal list:
  • LED Package
  • 8.4 HU + Premium sound
  • Cold Weather Group
  • Hard top
    • Its easier to add a soft top later, than to start with a soft top and add a hard top)
  • Trailer tow.
    • Mainly for the upgraded alternator for if you ever add a bunch of electrical accessories. I end up using that hitch for a bike rack mostly.
  • Nice to have: AUX switches.
    • There are some nice aftermarket options out there that can fill that slot, but its nice to have that OEM fit and finish and integration into the HU.

Sponsored

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
What's with all the automatic trans recommendations? OP said he wants a fun vehicle...

* ducks for cover *

Seriously, as with any other option it is all subjective. I went with the Willys also because it does have some good useful features and not just an appearance package:
- LED headlights (most reviews say they are much better than the standard halogens)
- LSD rear diff on upgraded axle (type of terrain and weather conditions I'll be seeing, I'd prefer the LSD over lockers)
- HD brakes (same larger brakes as Sahara and Rubicon... larger is always better, right?)
- Rubicon shocks (its on a Rubicon, so the monotube shocks must be better, plus they are red!)
- Mopar rubber floor mats (I'll just have to get a rear cargo mat now)

As a daily driver that you mentioned, you may consider the 2 safety groups available. The regular safety group gives you blind spot monitoring and the advanced gives you adaptive cruise and front end collision warning. But if you are like me and don't want things flashing & beeping and taking over control, then I opted not to get either. Again, personal preference, but it can have its merits.

The tow package, as others pointed out, it is more than that. It does have the 4 aux switches, a higher rated battery (700CCA) and alternator (240 amp). If you plan on adding any electrical devices down the road, this may not be bad to have. If not, skip it.

Cold weather package if you live in a colder climate. I don't care much for heated seats, but my wife loves them. I'll admit I do like the heated steering wheel option (I have it on my work vehicle) for those sub freezing mornings, so I went with this package. You also get remote start if you have the auto trans.

Alpine stereo, yes I splurged on this one. I looked at options to modify the stock system vs just getting the Alpine, and I prefer not to change out the integrated head unit / climate control, plus I like how the sub is integrated with the 4 door. It is more tucked out of the way than the old JK location by the tailgate, and I was never crazy about the in-floor mount location either. Stock speakers also have limited options unless you are willing to do some cutting / trimming.

I also opted for the hard top over soft top. Yes it is not as convenient to fully remove / retract, but I like the rear window operation on the hard top better (just swing it up out of the way on gas struts). I also like real glass and it still has the optional freedom panels to easily remove for a partial open top experience. I have always had a strange crush on 80's T-top cars, so this reminds me of that old style. Plus winters can be harder on a canvas style top. But if you are likely to want to drive fully topless, can't get easier than the soft top. Actually I take that back, that new skytop is now easier.

When I ordered mine back in June, I could not opt out of the convenience package. Apparently this one is mandatory and has to be included. $395 for a garage door opener seems excessive to me, but I had no choice on that one.

If you prefer a more hands off 4WD experience, you can opt for the full time system that's now offered. Biggest concern seems to be the use of CV joints instead of ujoints on the axles. Not that CV joints are bad (they are actually smoother in operation), it is more a concern of tearing a boot which 1) lets the grease out, and 2) lets water & dirt in to grind down the internals.

As you, it is all about personal preference. That is why these are add-ons. I like the advice others have said before: if you think you may want it, or are thinking about adding an aftermarket equivalent later, it may be best to just get it up front now.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
My $0.015 worth.

Manual transmission (I am biased) :D
8.4" screen.
LED's
Blind spot monitoring (Safety Group)
Regular Leather Seats (don't get the fancy leather, you will not get the heated steering wheel).
Cold weather group (heated seats, and heated wheel)
Hard top
Remote Proxy Entrance
Trailer tow that comes with Aux switches

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Cold weather if you aren't in the deep south or Southern CA. Love my 8.4 but Alpine isn't all that. REALLY like the keyless entry. All weather mats are nice but Weather Tech would do.
fwiw I live (or at least lived) in SoCal almost my entire life, and was often quite happy to have heated seats in the GTI. I didn't get them in the JL, mostly because I couldn't find one optioned that way for what I was willing to spend, but so far don't really miss them so much. Part of that is because the GTI has leather seats and I find them to get hotter in the summer and colder in the winter. The fabric seats in the JL are less extreme in both directions.

That said if I was ordering from scratch, I'd get the cold weather and LED (those I swapped after purchase). I'm an outlier on the tech package - I don't like the driving aids at all and am fine with the 5" screen but most everyone would opt for at least the 7" and more likely the bigger one.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The two safety groups

Reactions: zdr

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Definitely get the Aux switches and tow package. Higher output alternator and getting wires through the firewall if you don’t get the aux switches is a pITA on the JL.

I didn’t see much benefit with the alpine 8.4” option. You can upgrade the speakers for much less than this option costs.

Also the halogen headlights are bad, but the LED package is pricy vs getting aftermarket upgrades that are out there.
Sponsored