Sponsored

Which packages are worth it for Daily Driver use?

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
As mentioned previously, the heated option is nice on leather seats, but the Sport seats are cloth and they are fine in the winter (we're in NJ, pretty damn cold at times here) so the Cold-Weather package is not a deal breaker IMO. Also, if you're in a high-traffic area, I'd recommend the automatic, as it's a great trans. The OEM all-weather mats fit great and are easy to clean, so you might want to option those. I've heard the LED headlights throw a lot of glare on snow and also ice over easily, so they may not be ideal depending on where you live. Personally, I feel like the halogens are pretty damn good. In fact, we swapped a set of JL halogen headlights into my son's KJ!

We have two JL's in our house - my wife drives a JLU Sport S, which we spec'd out with the dual-top group, 7" radio, A/T tires, all-weather mats, and automatic. Mine is a base Sport, so I have crank windows, manual locks, the 5" radio, and a soft top. The only options on mine were A/C, 2.0T/automatic, and M220 posi rear.

Between the two, the ONLY item I wish my Sport had compared to my wife's Sport S is remote locks, and ~maybe~ the 7" radio. Other than that, they are both great fun to drive. The soft-top is definitely livable year-round, but since mine is a 2-door it does warm up quicker inside (much less interior volume).

It honestly just comes down to personal preference. Good luck with your decision!
Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
The safety group is going to be mandatory soon anyway, so skipping it might hurt resale value more than it does right now. I won't buy a car anymore without blindspot monitoring. I move around the country a lot, and it feels like drivers just keep getting worse. I've been saved at least 10 times a year when someone changed lanes into the right lane to pass while I was merging onto the highway. It happens regularly in my sports car too, when I'm overtaking traffic while merging, so I know it's not just inattention on my part.
Otherwise, minimum 7" radio for CarPlay/AndroidAuto. Too much functionality to be worth going without unless you plan to swap in your own stereo immediately. Get a hardtop too so you have the wiring/spray line already installed. The electrical stuff brought up earlier is good guidance, unless you know you're just going to stay stock/commuting (you know if you are, just be honest and save some cash, you can still wheel without the fancy stuff if you change your mind).

After that, I feel everything is down to your luxury preferences. I couldn't live without proximity entry/keyless start anymore, but I recognize I've become spoiled. I got mine used (with under 70 miles on it), so I ended up with every feature under the sun except leather and dual top. I plan to do Katzkin heated/cooled in the spring anyway, and purchase a soft-top around the same time.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
1st time future Wrangler owner here

So for all those who our Wrangler veterans, which packages are a must/worth the cost (in your opinion of course) for daily driving?

Won’t be towing
won’t be off-roading
just a fun family weekend vehicle and daily driver
YJ veteran here. 'Twas a daily driver in PA (warm summers and truly cold winters). That rig had a steering wheel, four tires, and little else. No A/C, no radio. 5 speed, factory soft top. Just the idea of what we now know as "driver aids" would have been laughed at. I was never cold when driving during the winter, either.

To be honest, I did occasionally miss having A/C and a radio (their absence in a vehicle was an outlier, even then). I wouldn't have wanted anything more than an A/C button and a Kenwood, though, because anything else arguably isn't needed. So-called packages are pleasant conveniences, but hardly compulsory.

I concede that the foregoing is a matter of perspective, and that those who only have experience with (and perhaps dependence on) such conveniences in a vehicle might struggle to envision their absence. It's our money and our choice. Where we depart from one another is how Want vs. Need is parsed out.

Drive safe. :)

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I know this suggestion seems laughable, but for a daily driver, I'd propose the Sky One Touch roof. The ability to have the top back virtually every day that the weather is semi-decent or better makes the Jeep experience so much enveloping.

If you are young and ambitious, get the soft top and put it up and down whenever the weather changes. If you have another vehicle you can drive, get the hard top and take it off, and drive the other vehicle on the questionable days.

But the Sky top is a great in-between for daily drivers.

Sponsored

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Sport S model. It has the power windows, locks, etc [easier to sell]
  • 3-piece hard top (It has removable covers over the front area) [much easier to sell]
  • Limited slip differential (Much easier to sell with LSD plus it has the Dana 44 read axle, which is a bonus when selling)
  • 8-speed Automatic trans (excellent and easy to use) [easier to sell]
  • 2.0 L turbo 4 cylinder engine (no extra cost and it's plenty powerful) [gets fair fuel mileage]
  • 8.4 Navigation (It includes the Alpine speakers) [is easier to sell]
  • Towing package (it includes the 4 extra push button switches everybody loves) [easier to sell]

At some point, since you're just looking for something fun to drive, you'll be selling or trading this in. Your tastes will change. Buy a Jeep someone else would like to own. You'll be able to get top dollar for it.

That's it.

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
I got the Willy's...I despise the look of the hard top, so I never order one with it...mine is pretty much loaded except for the advance safety group. I suggest you get whatever is right for you...if you are on the fence, get the option or you will regret later on

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I got my Sahara pretty loaded, I did not want to deal with adding anything I might want later. Only things I did not want for sure were the tow and safety package. I was not sure I would use the proximity locks but got them anyway. It turned out to be a nice option with the giant key fob Jeep provides. I dont have to dig the damn thing out of my pocket over and over.

I have had no issues at all with snow build up on my LED headlights in Chicago winters.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If you have another vehicle you can drive, get the hard top and take it off, and drive the other vehicle on the questionable days.
I never remove the hardtop.

When I want to drop the top, I just drive this... :LOL:
Jeep Wrangler JL Which packages are worth it for Daily Driver use? CA8F65D4-CA1A-40DC-958C-AEE11D4CC640

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Start with a Sport S, Alpine Stereo, and Auto Tranny. You decide if you want hardtop or ragtop. Then customize to your liking. This is a basic setup for non-hardcore offroading.

Sponsored

jdpatt12

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon 2019 Jeep Cherokee , 2015 ford mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
Driving to work requires me to leave early in the morning so Led where a must for me. Yes they will get snow build up. But for the rest of the year they are well worth it.

TowDawg

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Unlimited, BMW 535M, Dodge Viper, Hummer H1, race cars, motorhome, general toys.
My Rubi has every option you can get on it, but the basic items that that be the most important in terms of comfort/convenience for daily use:
1) Hard top
2) Remote Proximity Keyless Entry (I don't know this isn't standard in today's world.)
3) Cold Weather Group

Last edited:

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I got a bare-bones (ish) Rubicon in two door variant. The only options I got were:

LED headlights (not a must; if you decide you hate the halogens, which you probably will, you can upgrade aftermarket. But I highly recommend these)
Steel bumper (recommended if you want to keep your jeep simple and close to stock, but still want a winch)
Body-colored fenders (purely aesthetic choice, I hate acres of black plastic)

I only regret not getting the Alpine speakers. You have the right idea by avoiding the 8.4” screen but getting the good speakers. I have the 7” screen because it’s standard on Rubicons and it’s perfectly fine, but the stock speakers suck at highway speeds especially with the doors off.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Lot of good advice, depending on your needs - particularly good advice on ranking them and figure your cut off point.

it seems the most often forgotten, and later regretted is the remote proximity entry - that allows you to open the doors with your keys in your pocket or purse. So I’d highlight that one.

If pushed for a daily driver - specific to the described usage:
- sport S at least for the locks and windows
- auto
- Alpine 8.4
- select trac (based on your location and daily use if it snows)
- LSD (see above)
- cold weather (based on your location)
- hard top (based on your location, unless you just want soft top for the fun factor you mentioned)
- remote proximity

then:
- LEDs if a lot of night or country road driving
Sponsored