Sponsored

Which Ouray/Silverton, CO trails can I do in my stock Rubicon?

70gsrick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
I agree with what most of the others have said. You will be fine with your stock Rubi. You may want to ask others or just do your own research on which trails to do in what sequence. Many can be run in combination. For instance next time we go we will head out Black bear from Ouray then back on Ophir as it looks like more fun that direction. Black Bear in reverse from Telluride would be great as well.
Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
This is on my list for next summer as well. Maybe August but haven't decided anything.
The trail from Telluride to Ouray is one way? I was going to drive from Phoenix to Telluride then over the hill to Ouray the next morning.

TreyJK

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon, 1979 CJ5, 1979 J20
This is on my list for next summer as well. Maybe August but haven't decided anything.
The trail from Telluride to Ouray is one way? I was going to drive from Phoenix to Telluride then over the hill to Ouray the next morning.
The only one-way trail is Black Bear pass, which connects Telluride to HWY 550 in between Silverton and Ouray. If you’re starting in Telluride, a common loop is to take Ophir East to Silverton and then Black Bear back west to Telluride. You can also swap Ophir for Imogene (one of my favorite trails). They’re all doable in a stock wrangler no problem. My parents used to take their old stock pick up over Black Bear for dinner in Ouray and then back home before it was a one way (the old timers weren’t aware of its treacherous nature apparently). I’m fortunate enough to call the San Juan’s home and would be more than happy to wheel with anyone, even Texans, who find their way up here next summer!

DurangoWino

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Santa Fe and 2023 Rubi XR 4-door
Occupation
Retired
The only one-way trail is Black Bear pass, which connects Telluride to HWY 550 in between Silverton and Ouray. If you’re starting in Telluride, a common loop is to take Ophir East to Silverton and then Black Bear back west to Telluride. You can also swap Ophir for Imogene (one of my favorite trails). They’re all doable in a stock wrangler no problem. My parents used to take their old stock pick up over Black Bear for dinner in Ouray and then back home before it was a one way (the old timers weren’t aware of its treacherous nature apparently). I’m fortunate enough to call the San Juan’s home and would be more than happy to wheel with anyone, even Texans, who find their way up here next summer!
I will look you up next summer. Are you on the San Juan Trails group?

Sponsored

COJeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

Not if, but, when you do Engineer and Cinnamon Passes, be sure to stop at Animas Forks. This is a really cool ghost town and the buildings are preserved very well. You can’t miss it, it’s very popular and you can go through the buildings.

If you’re camping, there are plenty of places to shower in that area. We usually go to the Ouray Hot Springs, pretty nice facilities. Lots of disbursed camping too, you can find tons of spots along rivers. Makes for a nice calm night of sleep but don’t forget your tick bug spray, saw 3 ticks on the last trip, one attached to my pant leg.

I need to do Black Bear and Poughkeepsie still, hit me up if you’d like some company!:jk:

Last edited:

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I was kind of referring to what another poster had said about they have a day a year they run it the other way. Which would be great
That run isn't open to the general public though, only the active members of a particular jeep club.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
I did almost everything around that area the past two years (both times mid-July) in a bone stock Willys Sport 2-dr. I think it's my favorite place on the planet. My only issue was between the Loop and Ouray. I was going a little too fast, driver side went up, passenger side went down. I looked out the passenger side into the abyss, and my ass completely inhaled my seat down to the floor bolts. Lmao.

I can't wait to go back. Such an incredibly beautiful place. It's pretty cool to play in the snow in July too.
I bet I know the place and I also bet it was on Mineral Creek..... Did I win ?,,, That is a great trail to wake up on firat thing in the morning while wheeling and drinking coffee.

Last edited:

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe that would be illegal.
They do it one day per year. Its organized and is perfectly legal. First year we went to Ouray we wanted to run Black Bear first thing in the AM. when we got to the trail head we were told we had to wait approximately 2 hrs. for the group coming the other way.

At that time anyone with the right equipment could do the run but it does start in Telluride of course.

The only thing in my thoughts on it is the "Big Picture" of Black Bear is going down the steps and looking at the view of Telluride . Going backward to me would not have anywhere near the visual impact of ( OH Sh%t curve ). It would also not be as intimidating as some of the downward switchbacks. That is simply my own opinion for what it worth. Great trail, but any of them there are great ! Yankee Boy basin at the very top section is fun and a good place to hike as well.

Dang all this Ouray talk has got my blood stirring for a good wheeling trip to the San Juan's.. Go ahead and bash me....I love the Durango / Silverton train trip too...LOL

Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Take Imogene over to the other side and BB back, that's a great one day trip. Breakfast on Imogene and Lunch at the top of Black Bear.

OP
OP
STL Hydro

STL Hydro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Unlimited Rubicon
Not if but when you do Engineer and Cinnamon Passes, be sure to stop at Animas Forks. This is a really cool ghost town and the buildings are preserved very well. You can’t miss it, it’s very popular and you can go through the buildings.

If you’re camping, there are plenty of places to shower in that area. We usually go to the Ouray Hot Springs, pretty nice facilities. Lots of disbursed camping too, you can find tons of spots along rivers. Makes for a nice calm night of sleep but don’t forget your tick bug spray, saw 3 ticks on the last trip, one attached to my pant leg.

I need to do Black Bear and Poughkeepsie still, hit me up if you’d like some company!:jk:
I'm from Missouri, so a day with 3 ticks is just a Tuesday :)

Rocket_Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JLU
The Jeep can handle any of the trails. The only limiting factor will be your abilities behind the wheel.

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
I bet I know the place and I also bet it was on Mineral Creek..... Did I win ?,,, That is a great trail to wake up on firat thing in the morning while wheeling and drinking coffee.
Correct!
Sponsored