Sponsored

Which Ouray/Silverton, CO trails can I do in my stock Rubicon?

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
I only disagree with one thing said above. In my opinion most of the area trails are able to be done with a stock Rubicon and moderate driving skill. The limiting factor is nerve if you’re leery of narrow shelf roads with unsurvivable drop offs. That was my experience as a first timer 3 months ago. However I’m not as sure as sone folks about The Wall on Poughkeepsie Gulch. I had some issues and I’m not stock. Very possibly the limiting factor was driver skill. But there is a well marked bypass that lets you do the trail and avoid the wall. Stay safe and have fun.
You are correct on the driver skill part. There is a particular line on the wall that you do want to take. Many of the trails have places that you should be familiar with picking good lines. That's more important than having 37s and a 3.5 inch lift.
Sponsored

OP
OP
STL Hydro

STL Hydro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Unlimited Rubicon
I haven't been on it for quite a while but if you do Facebook, there is a group you can join to ask the locals about trail conditions, weather, trail buddy for the day, etc. It's called "San Juan mountain Trails Group". I started lurking there in the months leading up to our trips.

If you're just talking about the badge of honor trails you can do all of them in a stock Rubicon. Poughkeepsie is rocky in places, just go slow and watch your tire placement. Can't speak to other trails in the area. Recommend you use 4lo, it keeps your RPMs up so your engine stays cool climbing and your brakes cool descending.

Thanks! I just requested to join the group!

Dallas911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2023 392XR
@aldo98229 I can't tell you when they open but I can tell you this:

First trip we went end of July. There were so many vehicles on the trails. Side by sides dusting the campsite, motorcycles almost hitting us head on because they were going to fast, and constantly having to find bypasses for something.

Second trip we went mid September. There were significantly fewer vehicles and since it was cooler the trees were also starting to change colors. Overall it was a much more beautiful and relaxing experience.

Sad to say, the problem in July was probably in large part Texans on summer break. We started noticing the massive number of trucks with trailers (with TX plats) at the trailheads.
It's true about the Texans. We're all trying to escape the heat at the same time!

BruceA78

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6-Speed
So around what time of year do Colorado trails start to reopen?

I need to plan a trip.

Here in the Pacific Northwest most trails reopen by Memorial Day; Father’s Day at the latest. Colorado elevations are much higher, though.
The lower trails will start to open after memorial day but a lot of the trails won't be fully opened until July, usually early (July 1st-4th) but sometimes not until mid to late July depending on temps and snow fall.

JLdiazCon

First Name
Brayan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL rubicon
Jeep Wrangler JL Which Ouray/Silverton, CO trails can I do in my stock Rubicon? FD6BD1A6-F627-4C90-B111-E1B420AA15B4
Jeep Wrangler JL Which Ouray/Silverton, CO trails can I do in my stock Rubicon? DE1ED994-115C-4F54-A141-2DCA3DFC924E
Jeep Wrangler JL Which Ouray/Silverton, CO trails can I do in my stock Rubicon? 1CDD6692-9725-4534-B035-BF0E40B1B776
Jeep Wrangler JL Which Ouray/Silverton, CO trails can I do in my stock Rubicon? 7A2DB2BC-3A86-4FA8-A39D-5D8F92409694

webster pass on stock rubicon. It’s a very fun trail and the view are amazing

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I only disagree with one thing said above. In my opinion most of the area trails are able to be done with a stock Rubicon and moderate driving skill. The limiting factor is nerve if you’re leery of narrow shelf roads with unsurvivable drop offs. That was my experience as a first timer 3 months ago. However I’m not as sure as sone folks about The Wall on Poughkeepsie Gulch. I had some issues and I’m not stock. Very possibly the limiting factor was driver skill. But there is a well marked bypass that lets you do the trail and avoid the wall. Stay safe and have fun.
Agree fully no problem with exception of the Wall the rest are not that bad, BUT those drop off’s are a bit “disturbing”. Wife was NOT a happy camper-it’s a LONG way down.

Whiskeyrydr1

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Nuclear Power Plant, 29 years
We went in the middle of September and it was great. Temps were just right and trails were not crowded at all. Stock rubicon shouldn’t have issues with any of the trails. Why you are out that way swing over to Pagosa Springs area up near Wolf Creek and do Elwood Pass and stop about mid way for a little hike to a Silver Falls. Very much worth it.

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
I did almost everything around that area the past two years (both times mid-July) in a bone stock Willys Sport 2-dr. I think it's my favorite place on the planet. My only issue was between the Loop and Ouray. I was going a little too fast, driver side went up, passenger side went down. I looked out the passenger side into the abyss, and my ass completely inhaled my seat down to the floor bolts. Lmao.

I can't wait to go back. Such an incredibly beautiful place. It's pretty cool to play in the snow in July too.

40Caliber

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Rubicon
Thanks. Sounds a bit like California then.

When I lived in Los Angeles, the best time to go on a road trip was after Labor Day: tourists are gone back to their home states, hotel vacancy rates go up, room rates drop in half, and the weather is still nice and cool.
Aldo,
my wife and I spent this past september in Grand Junction. We plan on going back again this September,,, let me know if you are going in september. so much better to wheel together.

To the OP, you will find the limiting factor is not the Rubicon.. It will be you. Ask me how I know.
I am new to wheeling and getting better with every trip. that being said, there were trails already mentioned I wasn't ready for. Frankly I knew it.

That's not meant as a slap....as I slap myself every day for not being more skilled

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Was there in October, stock JLU Sport S. Ended up having to come back to Ouray on Engineer Pass scraped quite a bit on that one but no major damage. Not sure a stock Rubi wouldn't scrape at least once on that one, but maybe.

I won't do that again until I have at least 33" tires and a 2" lift. I cringed every time I heard metal scraping on rock.

Ophir was a piece of cake.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
We did a handful in a stock rental in early July this year. As others have said, that kept us off Poughkeepsie and BB.

You have time to plan, add a week and go to Moab for it. Polar opposite terrain in the same trip.

OP
OP
STL Hydro

STL Hydro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Unlimited Rubicon
When are you going and is it too early to be excited about the pics?
I've got an Airbnb reserved for the first week in August. I'll make sure to come back here and post pics!

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I haven't been on those trails in over 12 years. Before then we did almost all of the trails in my wife's stock Grand Cherokee WJ. I made a few trips also in rented Jeeps, the rental companies in Silverton make it clear that you don't take their jeeps on Black Bear or Poughkeepsie. So I've been on virtually all of the trails except those 2. I think the major passes are probably only open about July through August but you can probably search online at some place like trails offroad and find more accurate dates.
Sponsored