Sponsored

Which Ouray/Silverton, CO trails can I do in my stock Rubicon?

STL Hydro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Unlimited Rubicon
Hello, everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster!

I'm planning a trip to the Ouray/Silverton, CO area next summer and I wanted to know, from those who've been out there, which trails can I do, and which trails should I avoid with my completely stock JLUR?

I might be willing to install some skid plates between now and then if that would allow me to do some trails I might otherwise shy away from, but I definitely won't be getting a lift or bigger tires.

Jeep .jpg
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
ALL of them.. no problem. Just be careful and drive slow/cautious.

The rentals won't rent stock jeeps for black bear but will for all the others..tells you what you need to know... you will LOVE that trip!

You just have to drive VERY slow and cautious on the shelf roads but it's not a big deal.. people take 3/4 ton trucks over black bear and they use them for mountain tours over imogene.

Additional skids might not be a bad idea but a stock JLUR will tackle most anything out here with a good spotter/copilot.

azbobver

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Permanent Vacation
I have a stock Rubicon (JLURD) and this past August we were in Ouray for a few days. We did Ophir Pass, Imogene Pass, Engineer Pass and Cinnamon Pass with no problems. The views on these passes around Ouray and Riverton are awesome!

Sponsored

cs2k

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
Occupation
Engineer
I was there this past summer on a bone stock JLUR and we ran all of the famous trails (imogene, mineral creek, engineer - alpine loop, poughkeepsie, Ophir, black bear, california/hurricane pass) without any problems. There was minimal fuss on all of these trails but you have to be comfortable with shelf roads.

Ophir pass was so easy that we saw a stock Honda pilot on street tires making it.

Poughkeepsie was the hardest and we elected to skip the wall. There's a winch point on there and we did see a Tacoma on 33s winch it up, dragging skids along the way. I think you need 35s to not rub, so we went up the bypass.

Last edited:

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I haven't been on it for quite a while but if you do Facebook, there is a group you can join to ask the locals about trail conditions, weather, trail buddy for the day, etc. It's called "San Juan mountain Trails Group". I started lurking there in the months leading up to our trips.

If you're just talking about the badge of honor trails you can do all of them in a stock Rubicon. Poughkeepsie is rocky in places, just go slow and watch your tire placement. Can't speak to other trails in the area. Recommend you use 4lo, it keeps your RPMs up so your engine stays cool climbing and your brakes cool descending.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So around what time of year do Colorado trails start to reopen?

I need to plan a trip.

Here in the Pacific Northwest most trails reopen by Memorial Day; Fatherā€™s Day at the latest. Colorado elevations are much higher, though.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
You can run all the trails named above including Poughkeepsie (the Wall). Caution if it has been raining hard the Gulch can be slimey and if wet it would be good to have a winch to pull you up the wall. They have good anchor point though and it is easy to winch up it. When dry you wont need it. Also when rainy Corkscrew has some red dirt areas that become slicker than hog snot (love that trail). Black Bear is a piece of cake as long as you stay on the trail ... One year we were behind some couple driving an all wheel drive sedan down it, they did loose a body trim panel trying to go around the first really tight switchback. Hugged The Rock too close and got high sided from what we could see. They did make it all the way quite safely though.

Been back to Ouray five times and it never gets old. Its not technical but it is breathtaking.

Actually my wife is more concerned with the Million Dallar Hwy than the trails. Its the truckers on that road that are truly dangerous.....LOL

You will love it and your Rubi is more than capable.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
So around what time of year do Colorado trails start to reopen?

I need to plan a trip.

Here on the Pacific Coast most trails reopen by Memorial Day; Fatherā€™s Day at the latest. But Colorado elevations are much higher.
If you have never been there If I may suggest August as being the best introductory . Late July very early September. Also there is a day in August (One Day ) that you can run Black Bear backwards. Its normally down hill only. They do it early in the day. Its not the same day every year so you would have to check with local businesses to find out when that event takes place.

Have a great trip.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Oh yes, you have about 3 months you can engage those passes.. they're shutdown now until like May. May-November this year.

you're dealing with 6k+ altitude.. everything is snowed in until next late spring.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I only disagree with one thing said above. In my opinion most of the area trails are able to be done with a stock Rubicon and moderate driving skill. The limiting factor is nerve if youā€™re leery of narrow shelf roads with unsurvivable drop offs. That was my experience as a first timer 3 months ago. However Iā€™m not as sure as sone folks about The Wall on Poughkeepsie Gulch. I had some issues and Iā€™m not stock. Very possibly the limiting factor was driver skill. But there is a well marked bypass that lets you do the trail and avoid the wall. Stay safe and have fun.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
@aldo98229 I can't tell you when they open but I can tell you this:

First trip we went end of July. There were so many vehicles on the trails. Side by sides dusting the campsite, motorcycles almost hitting us head on because they were going to fast, and constantly having to find bypasses for something.

Second trip we went mid September. There were significantly fewer vehicles and since it was cooler the trees were also starting to change colors. Overall it was a much more beautiful and relaxing experience.

Sad to say, the problem in July was probably in large part Texans on summer break. We started noticing the massive number of trucks with trailers (with TX plats) at the trailheads.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
@aldo98229 I can't tell you when they open but I can tell you this:

First trip we went end of July. There were so many vehicles on the trails. Side by sides dusting the campsite, motorcycles almost hitting us head on because they were going to fast, and constantly having to find bypasses for something.

Second trip we went mid September. There were significantly fewer vehicles and since it was cooler the trees were also starting to change colors. Overall it was a much more beautiful and relaxing experience.

Sad to say, the problem in July was probably in large part Texans on summer break. We started noticing the massive number of trucks with trailers (with TX plats) at the trailheads.
Thanks. Sounds a bit like California then.

When I lived in Los Angeles, the best time to go on a road trip was after Labor Day: tourists are gone back to their home states, hotel vacancy rates go up, room rates drop in half, and the weather is still nice and cool.

Deleted member 74991

Hello, everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster!

I'm planning a trip to the Ouray/Silverton, CO area next summer and I wanted to know, from those who've been out there, which trails can I do, and which trails should I avoid with my completely stock JLUR?

I might be willing to install some skid plates between now and then if that would allow me to do some trails I might otherwise shy away from, but I definitely won't be getting a lift or bigger tires.

I did Black Bear Pass and Fins N Things in July with no issues in a stock Rubicon. The only Mod I had at the time was a steel front bumper and a winch.
Sponsored