Sponsored

Which options should I get on a new 2021 JLUR 4door?

NewbieJon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Not sure where to post this.

I will soon be ordering my first Jeep, a new 4 door Rubicon. I plan to off road a lot with some rock crawling, and I will likely add a lift kit and 35" or 37" tires in a year or so. I live in Southern California, but will make occasional trips to mountain snow. Also will probably off road over 100F occasionally.
I will get either the 2L turbo or the 3.6 V6. Automatic trans for sure. I plan on getting the off road camera, 8.4" + premium audio, trailer tow/electrical, remote proximity keyless entry, & steel bumper.

What are other must have or should get options, particularly from these listed below? Anything I should skip?

I want the safety group for blind spot and cross path detection, but I will likely eventually replace the rear bumper to carry a larger tire, gas can, and high jack. Should I skip the safety group?
I have read the LED lights are recommended, but are they really worth the $1295 (MSRP)?
I'm leaning towards cloth seats, but is there a compelling reason to get leather seats?
How about the optional Heavy-Duty Rock Slider with Step Assist by Mopar®? Are they the right size, or do they stick out too far for rock crawling? Are those really strong and worth the cost, or should I get aftermarket sliders?
Cold weather option?

Thanks to all who reply.
Sponsored

JimmyB

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
In the same boat ordering my new Jeep from Koons - definitely not the same use cases as you have for your Jeep though.

Here is a thread on the safety group: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/is-the-active-safety-group-worth-it.9705/

I am getting it just because I want the cross traffic detection. I go to Wawa a lot in my area and the parking lots are usually like a clown car derby. This feature has probably saved me at least a handful of fender benders in my current vehicle. I don't plan on changing the tire sizes or bumpers so the quirks of the features in modifications won't bother me.

LED headlights and the 8.4 nav were without a doubt the two options I would not personally go without. I have seen the halogens and they are a joke and I am not really interested in screwing around with some aftermarket headlight setup if I am dropping north of 45-50k on a vehicle. '

I chose the leather just because I want that center armrest in the backseat with the cup holder - it really was that simple for me lol.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
My $.02 but options really are personal. you are going to get people that love roll up windows. I love options and when you are buying the top dog, why skimp on creature comforts.

• I would skip the steel bumpers. You already said you are replacing the rear. You aren't going to then keep the front so don't spend money there.
  • Yes the safety group is awesome. Get it even if your rear back up sensors wont work the rest is great.
  • Yes get the tow package because you also get the aux switches.
  • Yes get the cold weather. It is nice to have and cheap option.
  • I think the LEDs are well worth it. Others just do aftermarket and while those are just as good and may literally save you a few bucks just get them from factory so you don't have issues and flickering.
  • I have leather and like it as it is nice and cleans up nice. Total preference here. Cloth is also nice.
  • Skip the factory sliders. Just get aftermarket of your choosing.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
LEDs
Cold weather
Tow
Safety

Basically anything that is difficult to add after. Things that are easy to add later

8.4" radio (not the speaker upgrade)
bumpers
Side steps

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Since you plan to run trails, get the 2.0. The 3.6 auto comes with that big battery down low in harms way...

Are the mods you have planned (lift, tires, rear bumper for gas can and hi-lift) for looks or because that's what you think you need to go rock crawling? Not judging, it's just that reading these forums gives people the impression that's required gear. I tell people just getting started that they will be flat out amazed at where a stock Jeep will go - especially a Rubicon. This summer my buddy ran Hell's Revenge, Poison Spider Mesa, Metal Masher, etc. in a stock 4-door JK Rubicon on all season tires from a Sport. I was in a stock 2-door JK Rubicon with 33.5 inch tires. We went everywhere the folks on 37's went, just bypassed a couple of the harder obstacles.

My suggestion is to get a full skidplate and solid rocker protection first, then sign up for a Jeep Jamboree or other professional guided trail run. There you will learn the basics and get a chance to see if you like it and what gear is working for the kind of trails you like. From there you can figure out how much lift and what size tire to go with.

As to options:
Steel bumper group: A compromise, holds up to the elements well, not too heavy. Rear is prone to deflect and damage the body. I skipped it since I wanted to add a winch and wanted better clearance.

Side steps: I wouldn't get anything with moving parts if it will really be smacked on rocks.

LED lights: Great unless you are in fog or snow, then tend to blind you. I skipped them.

Cold weather group: Fantastic on chilly desert mornings running with the top off. You mention snow. Get it.

You didn't mention hard or soft top. In SoCal you kind of need the hard top for security. But if you leave the top on you are missing half the fun of owning a Jeep.

I'd get the half doors. Keep them if you have a place to store an extra set of doors and run a soft top or bikini top. Otherwise you should have no trouble selling them for more than you paid, put a feeler in the for sale section to see. The only downside is it might add to delivery time, they are finally shipping them so no data on that yet.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NewbieJon

NewbieJon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
My $.02 but options really are personal. you are going to get people that love roll up windows. I love options and when you are buying the top dog, why skimp on creature comforts.

• I would skip the steel bumpers. You already said you are replacing the rear. You aren't going to then keep the front so don't spend money there.
Thanks for the feedback.

I saw from your build you originally had the steel bumper. Why did you swap it out? Was it mainly for looks?

I would expect better aerodynamics, less aerodynamic lift, and less noise from the stock bumper. This is why I wanted it. The removable end caps are nice, too. And of course an optional winch mount.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NewbieJon

NewbieJon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Since you plan to run trails, get the 2.0. The 3.6 auto comes with that big battery down low in harms way...

Are the mods you have planned (lift, tires, rear bumper for gas can and hi-lift) for looks or because that's what you think you need to go rock crawling? Not judging, it's just that reading these forums gives people the impression that's required gear. I tell people just getting started that they will be flat out amazed at where a stock Jeep will go - especially a Rubicon. This summer my buddy ran Hell's Revenge, Poison Spider Mesa, Metal Masher, etc. in a stock 4-door JK Rubicon on all season tires from a Sport. I was in a stock 2-door JK Rubicon with 33.5 inch tires. We went everywhere the folks on 37's went, just bypassed a couple of the harder obstacles.

My suggestion is to get a full skidplate and solid rocker protection first, then sign up for a Jeep Jamboree or other professional guided trail run. There you will learn the basics and get a chance to see if you like it and what gear is working for the kind of trails you like. From there you can figure out how much lift and what size tire to go with.

As to options:
Steel bumper group: A compromise, holds up to the elements well, not too heavy. Rear is prone to deflect and damage the body. I skipped it since I wanted to add a winch and wanted better clearance.

Side steps: I wouldn't get anything with moving parts if it will really be smacked on rocks.

LED lights: Great unless you are in fog or snow, then tend to blind you. I skipped them.

Cold weather group: Fantastic on chilly desert mornings running with the top off. You mention snow. Get it.

You didn't mention hard or soft top. In SoCal you kind of need the hard top for security. But if you leave the top on you are missing half the fun of owning a Jeep.

I'd get the half doors. Keep them if you have a place to store an extra set of doors and run a soft top or bikini top. Otherwise you should have no trouble selling them for more than you paid, put a feeler in the for sale section to see. The only downside is it might add to delivery time, they are finally shipping them so no data on that yet.
Thanks for the feedback.

I have been out several times riding shotgun in a 2018 JLUR on 37's. I had a blast and want to join in, and bring other family along. Definitely need the lift for a couple places I want to go, like John Bull Trail and others, but I will do some wheeling stock to make sure I really want a lift. He has the factory steel front bumper with the winch installed, seems to work fine.

Twice I went out wheeling with him no top no doors, and did not enjoy that. Particularly on the freeway. Hard top wanted for less noise. Security a plus.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Thanks for the feedback.

I saw from your build you originally had the steel bumper. Why did you swap it out? Was it mainly for looks?

I would expect better aerodynamics, less aerodynamic lift, and less noise from the stock bumper. This is why I wanted it. The removable end caps are nice, too. And of course an optional winch mount.
I was “that guy” that said “oh I like the steel bumpers and I don’t need different ones”. Well then I had to figure out a solution for the big heavy tire. That led me to then I didn’t want it hanging from the tailgate. That led me to shopping for aftermarket rear bumper that then led to I can’t have different looking front and rear.

Also regarding the two engines. Go drive them. The comment about the “low hanging” battery is ridiculous. That is not the reason to not get the 3.6. Seriously I know of zero people out of 100 or so that wheel harder than most will ever think about and the battery has never been damaged. I don’t even think Lite Brite damaged theirs and no one will wheel as hard as them. There are probably 10 other reasons someone would want a 2.0 over the 3.6 but that isn’t one. The 3.6 is good. I have never driven the 2.0 but I don’t like needing to use premium and the 3.6 has been around way longer for Jeep So it is a known quantity.

Also mentioned above I would not skimp on the 8.4 screen. It isn’t just the screen size and chances are you won’t go aftermarket and if you do plenty of gremlins and getting things to sync up. Just my opinion of course but there are far more people swapping and going up to the 8.4 then those complaining that the 8.4 upgrade was a waste of money.

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara
My $.02

2.0 Turbo - More torque than the 3.6
Cloth (use $ saved to get some Bartact covers)
LED group
Proximity locks
Tow pkg with switch system
8.4 infotainment
Premium Twill softop
1/2 door option

Skip the steel bumpers look nice but are quite flimsy compared to aftermarket bumpers. Plus you need to add a $200 plate to it just to mount a winch and bull bar is another $200.

Skip the Mopar rock rail steps and go with a more robust aftermarket solution

In SoCal you will probably have no need for the cold weather pkg.

DasherD

First Name
Danielle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU
LEDs
Cold weather
Tow
Safety

Basically anything that is difficult to add after. Things that are easy to add later

8.4" radio (not the speaker upgrade)
bumpers
Side steps
Thank you. I am ordering my JLU Rubicon as soon as they start making the manual shifts again after the recall. I have been going back and forth regarding the Mopar rock sliders/side steps and the bumpers. This helps. Appreciated.

dski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubi 4dr
Occupation
small business owner
If you are not 100% comfortable using a hilift (farm jack) on uneven ground, I'd strongly discourage you from buying one, or at least trying to use it. They can be deadly. If you are worried about changing a flat on the road, I'd suggest using the factory jack and some lumber to get the height you need.

Personally, I carry a tire patch/plug kit and an electric compressor. No way I'm swapping a 100 pound tire on the side of a road if I can avoid it.

From the factory, LEDs. A good set of aftermarket will run you over $600. Visionx / trucklites / jw speaker all come to mind and run $800 or so. I bought mine used for $200 (a really good option!) from someone trading in their jeep.

Also, if buying aftermarket rear bumper and you plan on towing, be sure the new bumper doesn't interfere with the safety chains. Sounds stupid, but I've seen it happen where the safety chains end up at the recovery hooks.
Sponsored