Sponsored

Vanburi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 'Mojito' JLR
So what happens if you get a flat tire? Just curious.
I don't wheel off road alone so have help and likely access to a spare if needed. Also, I have motor club coverage for on road issues. I drove a tow truck for 6yrs and hated changing tires on the side of the road(extremelydangerous). I wouldn't ask anyone to do that much less for me.. Safer and easier to tow somewhere...

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
3 - Most people know that steel is hard. Most people also don’t wear helmets while off-road. Free country. The hardcore guys that I off-road with do wear helmets when they are going on extreme trails with rollovers common/expected.
This Jeeper, and many others that have these roll bars/cages, are driving them on the road (streets, highways), with their unsuspecting kids/wives/relatives on the passenger seats.

An unpadded (and even a padded) roll bar/cage like the one on this Jeep will substantially increase the risk of severe injury or death to all un-helmeted occupants on or off-road. I doubt the owner realizes that. Else why would he put his wife and kids on it?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
If you watch the video,
This Jeeper, and many others that have these roll bars/cages, are driving them on the road (streets, highways), with their unsuspecting kids/wives/relatives on the passenger seats.

An unpadded (and even a padded) roll bar/cage like the one on this Jeep will substantially increase the risk of severe injury or death to all un-helmeted occupants on or off-road. I doubt the owner realizes that. Else why would he put his wife and kids on it?
I’m sure bouncing your head off the hard plastic covered metal sport bar is within acceptable safe tolerances though? Assuming your wife and kids are wearing seatbelts and not of above average height, odds are they won’t hit their head on the cage even in an accident. Side impacts at speed are especially dangerous in any vehicle without side curtain air bags. I drive with the seat far enough back in my vehicles that I’m likely to bank my head off the b-Pilar. Most people will put their head through the side glass, only slightly more forgiving than the metal. Life is a risk, crazy things happen. Slip on the sidewalk and break your skull on the concrete. You could wear full safety gear everywhere, and you could still die at any moment. Obviously if you’re racing, running trails with high roll over risk, etc put on the helmet. Nobody is wearing helmets to drop the kids off at school wether their Jeep has a cage or not.

OP
OP

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I’m sure bouncing your head off the hard plastic covered metal sport bar is within acceptable safe tolerances though?
The difference being that a vehicles structure is designed to collapse and absorb some of those nasty G's in such a way as to redirect the forces away from the occupants. A roll cage is designed to remain rigid in the even of a rollover.
Life is a risk, for sure. He was just pointing out that a roll cage, in the event of a serious road crash is significantly more dangerous to the occupants.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The difference being that a vehicles structure is designed to collapse and absorb some of those nasty G's in such a way as to redirect the forces away from the occupants. A roll cage is designed to remain rigid in the even of a rollover.
Life is a risk, for sure. He was just pointing out that a roll cage, in the event of a serious road crash is significantly more dangerous to the occupants.
Theoretically, in a specific type of crash.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I'd agree were it not for his rant about risks "on or off road". The crumple zone design is much less prevalent in a body on frame vehicle, which is one of the reasons many unibody vehicles fair better than trucks in crash tests. The odds of a serious rollover obviously go up as the trail difficulty does, but looking at the video of that trail, I wouldn't be wearing a helmet either.

OP
OP

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I'd agree were it not for his rant about risks "on or off road". The crumple zone design is much less prevalent in a body on frame vehicle, which is one of the reasons many unibody vehicles fair better than trucks in crash tests. The odds of a serious rollover obviously go up as the trail difficulty does, but looking at the video of that trail, I wouldn't be wearing a helmet either.
I'd also not be wearing a helmet. I think that would make basically everyone in the car miserable.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I'm not sure how anyone can think it is a good idea to drive around with their wives/kids heads fractions of an inch from these sharp red metal bars/edges.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which one of you was this? $100K Jeep flooded and totaled in the river 1636508729570

Jesus_fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Clubs

I think point #3 about roll cages is a good learning moment that makes reading this forum worth it.

Hope it doesn't make me sound dumb, but I've had the thought "I should get a roll cage to keep the kiddos safe off road"

(But at the same time, I've never been close enough to actually buying one to do any research on the subject...)

Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
There are some pretty dramatic videos around of factory JLs rolling hard and completely protecting the integrity of the passenger area.

The factory roll protection in the JL is pretty darn sturdy - sturdy enough for me anyway. But then, I'm just an old, slow guy.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I'm not sure how anyone can think it is a good idea to drive around with their wives/kids heads fractions of an inch from these sharp red metal bars/edges.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which one of you was this? $100K Jeep flooded and totaled in the river 1636508729570
Those bars are round for one, two, theyre a foot above your head. Fucking OSHA inspectors up in here.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Those bars are round for one, two, theyre a foot above your head. Fucking OSHA inspectors up in here.
I even said if they aren't above average height and wearing a seat belt. I'm trying to figure out if he thinks you're safer without a cage or that once you put a cage in your vehicle all passengers will need and/or be willing to wear helmets at all times?
Sponsored