Sponsored

Which one of these 3 options would you pick?

freestylejl

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon
Tow package and heated steering wheel
wiring trailer lights looks like a massive pain in the arse
all the rest can be added as you save up
Sponsored

freestylejl

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon
Not sure with the 2.0 but the tow package in v6 also gives you better gears in case you go up to 35s and won’t need to rehear as bad as the 3.21 it will have 3.73 but I am using my v6 knowledge
someone w 2.0 could chime in and double check me on that
also get the cheapest wheel package that comes electric windows
I had a jk w crank windows and hated it and was a pain to lock the doors
at the time it was 25 k jku 2013

Deleted member 59498

Cold Weather, I live in Alaska and commute (when at the office anymore) about 15 miles, at about 6 miles I have to turn the seats down to 1 bar because even if -10 outside it gets too hot. I have a garage but don't always park in it, even when I mess up and it gets -0 at night the seats are a life saver, I have manual so no auto start but the seats warm up fast. Steering wheel is just ok to me, mine is ok but not as important as the seats.

With that said, LED lights are ok I guess, my lenses are covered in grime a lot so I don't know if they are better than my 2014 Unlimited or not really. As far as ice accumulation it doesn't happen on mine even when super cold.

One thing that does happen is that in super cold, the hard top sounds like muted popcorn crackling but soft top in Alaska is a no go! :)

Deleted member 59498

Oh I bought a new speaker system (minus doors) for a couple hundred bucks. They should make the sound much better than the stock Rubicon system. I did find a neat thing on my radio yesterday when at road speed it will increase or boost volume? I set it to 3 because you know road sound happens, it is a jeep and that helped some. I think I will install speakers this weekend though been putting it off.

Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
ALpine System.

1) It sounds great
2) LED headlights are cheap and easy to install
3) I'm in South Florida, I can live without the Cold weather package the 3 days I would need it. :)

OP
OP

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
Man I wasnt expecting so much feedback, thanks!

I have pretty much decided to go with the cold weather. Maybe it being like 8 out right now helped with that :LOL:

I just need to reach out now and see when you should order for a May delivery. Fingers crossed everything works out price wise and I can have my first experience owning a Jeep!

OP
OP

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
Didn't want to clog anything up making a new thread but I placed my order today with the dealer! I am pretty excited.

Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
-Black
-Premium black wheels (The standard wheels are apparently on backorder)
-Premium Soft Top (I like the blacker color of the soft top to the more grey of the standard one)
-Cold Weather Package
-Convenience package (Did not want this but you have to get it if you order cold weather)
-Selec-Trac
-4cyl turbo
-Automatic

That's basically it. I took another test drive beforehand and it solidified wanting to get one. Just some random thoughts even though I test drove a Sahara:
-It drives great on the highway, wind noise wasnt bad at all
-It isn't as crisp on the roads as my Outback which isnt crisp to begin with, but its a truck, not car, and I thought it actually handled great overall and had zero complaints. I don't think I will get "sick" of using it as a daily driver, seems to drive like a normal vehicle to me.
-This one had the alpine stereo and I thought it sounded okay, I am kind of an audio person so I critique this harsher than other people is my guess, not sure I would think its worth the extra money

Thanks everyone for your input it definitely helped when deciding on stuff.

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
-This one had the alpine stereo and I thought it sounded okay, I am kind of an audio person so I critique this harsher than other people is my guess, not sure I would think its worth the extra money
So you have premium sound? That was a must have for me because I have the Uconnect in my Cherokee with standard sound and it is the worst sound system I have heard. Vowed to get upgraded sound on the wrangler I just ordered Saturday.

BTW, dealer said mine is ready to ship on 3/20. Amazing fast.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
So you have premium sound? That was a must have for me because I have the Uconnect in my Cherokee with standard sound and it is the worst sound system I have heard. Vowed to get upgraded sound on the wrangler I just ordered Saturday.

BTW, dealer said mine is ready to ship on 3/20. Amazing fast.
Yeah I have just the standard sound system ordered. Maybe once I hear that I will re-evaluate my thoughts on the Alpine if the standard sound is truly that terrible. :LOL:

I mean I would have liked to get it, but I had a certain budget I wanted to adhere to and not go over, so had to make a decision.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
make sure you get the 8.4 and premium audio. trying to change your stereo after the fact in cars / jeeps / trucks nowadays sucks ass.

as far as LED i think they are tied to the steel bumpers. part of the package. the front steel is nice because you can convert it to stubby by taking off the end caps, you can add a winch, etc. the rear steel is a flimsy piece of something from what everyone says. if you offroad with it and hit it on something, the rear steel oem bumper goes up into the body and damages it... so the bumper package as a whole is 1/2 good. you can get the front bumper which comes with LED fogs already installed for about $1000 from allmoparparts (vendor on here) if you ask him in PM for discount code. it's a bolt on replacement for the plastic front.
as stated the LED headlights need aftermarket heaters if you live in areas where it snows much.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
My only comment is that even the optional wheels are only 7.5" wide. If you ultimately want bigger tires, you may find they are too narrow. This is the first that I've heard of Jeep running out of standard wheels and then channeling customers to optional ones. Are we talking about the $295 ones or the $995s? Other than that, your build seems fine.

Oh...and black is not a color; it's a hobby. [but, if you've owned black vehicles before, you already know that]

p.s. you may want to consider the safety packages - they're great. 3,000 miles with no false alarms, but a few potential saves on lane changes and parking spot back-outs.

OP
OP

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
My only comment is that even the optional wheels are only 7.5" wide. If you ultimately want bigger tires, you may find they are too narrow. This is the first that I've heard of Jeep running out of standard wheels and then channeling customers to optional ones. Are we talking about the $295 ones or the $995s? Other than that, your build seems fine.

Oh...and black is not a color; it's a hobby. [but, if you've owned black vehicles before, you already know that]

p.s. you may want to consider the safety packages - they're great. 3,000 miles with no false alarms, but a few potential saves on lane changes and parking spot back-outs.
Interesting on the tires. I would like bigger tires eventually, but nothing massive, just some beefier A/T style. It was also the $295 option. Two dealers told me this about the standard wheels not being available so I think it's actually a thing.

And yeah my current car is black, and almost all my cars over the years have been black. I just like it too much. :)

My current Subaru car has all the bells and whistles safety features wise so it will be interesting to go back to zero lane assist, cruise assist, etc. and all the beeping warnings. Some people hate that stuff, I honestly didnt mind it at all and they could be turned off if you really didnt like them. I also didnt find it necessary either, but also appreciated it. The best feature to me of all of that stuff was definitely the cruise control radar detection.

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
My son went cheap on a Jeep Compass a few years ago from "Bertha" his 12 year old hand me down Honda. He didn't want to spend on the safety stuff.

He drove the Honda about 6 years accident free. 10 minutes on the way home from the dealer he clipped some guys front bumper doing a lane change. He said he was not used to the poor visibility of the Compass. I told him to get the basic lane change safety package- damn kids don't listen to their elder's advice!

On the non-upgraded sound. It is just not bad, above medium volume it quickly causes listening fatigue. I am not an audiophile (can't tell the difference between playing a high quality Mp3 or a FLAC version of a ripped song). However, I do have a great sound system at home with tower speakers. I can play music very loud and it is so buttery smooth it does not feel loud - if that makes sense.

I looked into upgrading the speakers in my Cherokee. Was not going to be cheap, especially if I wanted a decent subwoofer and would have required and amp installed to work with the Uconnect.

Didn't want to clog anything up making a new thread but I placed my order today with the dealer! I am pretty excited.
Probably too late for any changes. I ordered this Saturday just before closing, they submitted it Monday morning. Tuesday I asked if I could make a minor change. The bad news was no, the good news was it is scheduled to ship this Saturday. I ordered the 1 touch skytop so I believe it will be shipping to the factory that installs those, then to to the dealer so they think I should get it at the end of March.
Sponsored