Sponsored

Which one of these 3 options would you pick?

frank-o

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 SOT, JLUR SOT, Prior JLUR Sting, 10thA JKUR
Another vote for cold weather package!
Sponsored

kaffeian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door Sport
Occupation
Lead Machine Operator
Just curious peoples thoughts and well, maybe it just makes for some good discussion too! I have pretty much decided on the build I would like for my Wrangler Unlimited, and I wanted to add one option but can't decide between the three. Bear in mind I live in Michigan when factoring this in. Overall its a pretty simple order

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
-Selec-trac
-Auto
-4 Cylinder

So of these three extra options what would you choose?
-Alpine Stereo
-Led Headlights
-Cold Weather Package

1. While I am not an extreme audiophile, I love music, and having a nice system would be great because I am always listening to music especially in my vehicle. So right now I am leading towards this option. Not sure I have really ever ordered the "upgraded stereo system" in a vehicle before.
2. I love LED headlights in my current car and it also has the adaptive headlights, which are nice. Reading about the LED headlights here, I hear they are a complete pain in the winter time and don't melt snow/ice? If that's the case, I'd probably stick with halogen even though I know they are much worse at night.
3. A nice feature I have now, but I run kinda hot anyway, and I hear the Jeep heats up so quickly its not really needed whatsoever.

So what say you, best bang for your buck option? Also, the 8.4 inch radio premium package doesn't include the Alpine stereo right? That is separate?

Thanks everyone!
Going from SportS two door, my wife and I just got out Unlimited 80th. With your list, I would HIGHLY recommend this as an option. It comes standard with the Alpine (not the best system I have ever had but for stock it is miles about the other option). The 2.0 Turbo is also standard. You would just have to decide between the LED's and Cold weather group.

The only options we went for were the Cold Weather group and the hard top. I wanted the hard top for security and the defrost/wiper. I live in Wisco so that struggle is real in winter. You living in Michigan also understand. The LED's you can add later for about 250-500. I plan to do that when I get some extra cash this summer.

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
Use Auto Trader to find a slightly used JL with a clean Carfax, and get all three!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
First off, hello neighbor. I have all three of those options on my Jeep. And love all of them. Knowing that you live in the same immediate area, let me voice my opinion on this.

First I would buy, Audio option. The 8.4 comes with the upgraded speakers which make this a great deal. This option is used every single time you get in the Jeep. Also with the 8.4, you get all kinds of other features beside better sounding music. You get all the Connect stuff, weather maps, navigation, gas prices and location near you,, Literally there is just to much to type about all the other stuff.

LED Lights. Love these on my Jeep. If I didn't have them I would upgrade to them in the aftermarket. Then you only buy what you need. Most just upgrade the headlights, and do not worry about everything else.

I love the Cold weather package. Personally I will not buy another vehicle with out a heated steering wheel. The heated seats are nice also. This is truly a luxury add on. My Jeep is blowing hot air out of the vents in less than a mile after a cold start. So it is not really needed. Is it nice. Yes, but it is literally used for a couple minutes each time that you use it for about 4 to 5 months out of the year. Not an everyday thing. Like I said, I love it, but it is a luxury add on. The bonus is that the cold weather package also includes the remote start.

I don't think you can upgrade the stereo to the quality and features of the 8.4 system and save money. I think if you were to add a sub and all the alpine speakers, and a head unit that had similar features you would be way over double in the price vs the factory add on. I think that if you paid to have an aftermarket similar system installed, that the install price would eat up 3/4 of the factory cost.

When you get your Jeep, hit me up. I often lead Jeep trail runs and camp a lot. Also if you want to check these option, hit me up and you try them in my jeep. Just PM.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Also, I an help, show you how I got my ordered JLUR for 6% under invoice with the help of this site. How I did it. Then maybe get all three options.

Sponsored

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I’d go cold weather package all day long. Love my heated seats and wheel. In Michigan I’d go for an aftermarket heated LED light as the oem can have icing issues as many above have noted. Good luck!

PunKin

First Name
Pj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (SOLD)
Occupation
Growth Engineering Tech
Vehicle Showcase
I would pick LED package since it's not easy to upgrade later for a sport. Factory LEDs are way cooler than aftermarket IMO and it upgrades headlamps, fenders, rear lamps which is worth more than $2K

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Just curious peoples thoughts and well, maybe it just makes for some good discussion too! I have pretty much decided on the build I would like for my Wrangler Unlimited, and I wanted to add one option but can't decide between the three. Bear in mind I live in Michigan when factoring this in. Overall its a pretty simple order

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
-Selec-trac
-Auto
-4 Cylinder

So of these three extra options what would you choose?
-Alpine Stereo
-Led Headlights
-Cold Weather Package

1. While I am not an extreme audiophile, I love music, and having a nice system would be great because I am always listening to music especially in my vehicle. So right now I am leading towards this option. Not sure I have really ever ordered the "upgraded stereo system" in a vehicle before.
2. I love LED headlights in my current car and it also has the adaptive headlights, which are nice. Reading about the LED headlights here, I hear they are a complete pain in the winter time and don't melt snow/ice? If that's the case, I'd probably stick with halogen even though I know they are much worse at night.
3. A nice feature I have now, but I run kinda hot anyway, and I hear the Jeep heats up so quickly its not really needed whatsoever.

So what say you, best bang for your buck option? Also, the 8.4 inch radio premium package doesn't include the Alpine stereo right? That is separate?

Thanks everyone!
Unless the Jeep is an "extra" vehicle that stays parked when it snows, pick either the Alpine or the cold weather package. The LED headlights will ice up, especially since they sit inside a cavity.

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Definitely get the cold weather package. I went with the Sahara turbo pretty much stripped down, no leather (They all wear and cloth is less expensive to replace). I didn't want any of the fancy electronics, just something to expensive to fix and why get all the sensors if your going to be swapping bumpers. I prefer the halogen for the same reasons. The trailer tow package is a must if for nothing else than the heavy duty electrical and auxiliary switches all pre wired for aftermarket fogs and driving lights.
You can get anything you want for your jeep and make it a one of a kind. I've heard of a lot of the big head units with gps have had problems and although the Alpine setup is nice the sub takes up some valuable real estate. Get what you need and build as you want.
Mine is still a virgin but have managed to dump a bunch into interior accessories already. Everybody needs a hobby !

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
All of them. If I had to pick just one, the cold weather group.

Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Just curious peoples thoughts
I would get the Alpine but not the upgraded Uconnect Head unit.

As basic a Head unit you can get and the Alpine.

I have the 8.4 Uconnect with Alpine, the 8.4 is useless, the Navigation is also useless.

I also have cold weather, it's ok to have, but I would not miss it and I also rarely use it.

The major reason I traded my 2015 JKU was it didn't have the Alpine and the sound was awful, I had the upgraded Infinity in the 2007, so I noticed how bad the base audio was in the 2015. I'm no audiophile, but the base system is utter garbage and expensive to upgrade after market beyond the Alpine cost.

I'm in Toronto, it's cold here. Heated seats also gets extremely hot, so it's only on for 5 minutes, same goes for the steering wheel.

I have an Unlimited Sahara.

Last edited:

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I'm going cold weather when I order mine this weekend. As others have pointed out, LED's and sound can be upgraded (to a product better than upgrade provides) for less.
I'm not sure the Audio can be upgraded for better at a less price than the Alpine, I could not get better for cheaper with the JK.

And just upgrading the speakers is a waste of time and money, I did that in my JK.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I don't understand all the recommendations for the cold weather package. I have it. I love it. I get it. With that said and I live where the weather is crap. There are many days where the temp is under 40 degrees. What I don't understand is even with the cold, my Jeep is pushing warm to hat air in about a minute or about a mile out of the driveway.. When I do use the heated seats and heated steering wheel, it is to take the initial chill off. I use the heated steering wheel and heated seats for just a few minutes each time. The vents from the heater can be pointed right at your hands and will literally burn your hands off. It is not even a daily or every time you drive the Jeep thing.

The upgraded stereo use will use thousands more hours over the life of the vehicle regardless of the weather. Maybe I just like music that much more..

Packnbeer

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
I would definitely do the cold weather package. On the LED headlights, that is an expensive adder that you can add yourself for much less and you can choose the style you like. I live in Iowa and have had LED headlights on a few different cars and I have no problems with snow and ice and we get a lot of snow and ice. If there is some on there, just spray them with some de-icer. I have never had to do that but its an option. The positives with LED far outweigh the negatives. On the audio system. I have had a large sub in every car I have owned since 1990. The factory system in this wrangler is amazing without the sub. I cant believe the sound quality. At normal volumes it has the full range and sounds as if there is a small sub but I know there is not. If you want it loud and bangin, get the Alpine upgrade because there isnt much room in a JL to add one unless you want it freestanding. In a JK, there is room under the passenger seat but there is not in a JL. Listen to the standard factory system before you decide. I am particular as hell with my music and this has me extremely satisfied. There is obviously more room in a 4 door but absolutely no extra room in the 2-door like mine to add one later.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which one of these 3 options would you pick? 20210103_102425