Sponsored

Which one of these 3 options would you pick?

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I always go for function items and in your area you get serious cold weather so my priorities would be:

-Cold Weather Package - especially if you have remote start
-Led Headlights - safety item I have them on all my vehicles including motorcycle
- Alpine Stereo- no such thing as an audiophile car system, even luxury cars have to much background noise to be audiophile, and you can upgrade a stock unit with speakers at a affordable cost
Sponsored

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Yet another vote for Cold Weather package here. This was a non-negotiable for me and one of the several reasons I ordered rather than buying off the lot. FWIW, I have all 3 of these options on mine.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
So of these three extra options what would you choose?

-Alpine Stereo
-Led Headlights
-Cold Weather Package
None of the above.

As you say, you're not an audiophile. Neither am I. With the sport/sound bar being standard on all trims, the sound quality has been nothing less than satisfactory at any volume level that I've used. Speaker upgrades from places like Crutchfield are easily sourced and installed, also, if that's a rabbit hole you want to go down.

We're spoiled for choice, and at considerably better pricing than the factory option, as it concerns LED bulb and/or full headlight upgrade assemblies. Live with the halogens a bit and then see if you want to experiment with different lighting. Yes, there is some room for improvement there.

The recurring recommendations for the Cold Weather Package are interesting to consider. Wranglers have had for many years now truly superlative heating systems. Neither my hands nor my backside have been anything less than warm after the interior temperature warms up (which it does so comparatively quickly, no matter how cold it is outside.) Pennsylvania gets at least as cold as Michigan in the winter, if not colder, too. More to the point, you're barely using the heated seats in the car you have now. Why pay for a feature that you can already foresee has little value for you?

Keep the Franklins in your pocket, for future endeavors. đź‘Ť

And don't be convinced to worry about resale value. Order the vehicle that you, and only you, want. The future owner isn't paying for your new Jeep. You are. :)

schwizzie

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Just curious peoples thoughts and well, maybe it just makes for some good discussion too! I have pretty much decided on the build I would like for my Wrangler Unlimited, and I wanted to add one option but can't decide between the three. Bear in mind I live in Michigan when factoring this in. Overall its a pretty simple order

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
-Selec-trac
-Auto
-4 Cylinder

-Alpine Stereo
-Led Headlights
-Cold Weather Package

1. While I am not an extreme audiophile, I love music, and having a nice system would be great because I am always listening to music especially in my vehicle. So right now I am leading towards this option. Not sure I have really ever ordered the "upgraded stereo system" in a vehicle before.
2. I love LED headlights in my current car and it also has the adaptive headlights, which are nice. Reading about the LED headlights here, I hear they are a complete pain in the winter time and don't melt snow/ice? If that's the case, I'd probably stick with halogen even though I know they are much worse at night.
3. A nice feature I have now, but I run kinda hot anyway, and I hear the Jeep heats up so quickly its not really needed whatsoever.

So what say you, best bang for your buck option? Also, the 8.4 inch radio premium package doesn't include the Alpine stereo right? That is separate?

Thanks everyone!
Traktor31,

-Alpine Stereo: I love music, and while the Alpine isn’t the best system, it does sound pretty good. As others have also pointed out... it doesn’t rattle. You do lose the cargo bin in the tail with the Alpine subwoofer, so keep that in mind. Last, the 8.4 radio package does include the alpine system. If you do a build on the Jeep website you will see that it is automatically selected when you select the premium audio group.

-LED Headlights: I ordered this and when my Jeep showed up, it was apparent my dealer screwed up the order. After the laborious process of knocking money off my quote, I have since installed the Oracle Oculus Bi-LED headlights and couldn’t be happier. We get a fair amount of snow here in Southern Germany and I haven’t had issues with snow buildup. That could be a by-product of the metric crap-top of salt placed on the roadways in the winter. Long story short, I would skip this option.

-Cold Weather Package: I would have never guessed how much I would love a heated steering wheel. This package is worth it with this option alone. Also, I have a 8 minute commute in the morning and my Jeep is just starting to really get hot when I get to work, my heated seats are already warming my backside in about 90 seconds.

Hope this helps you decide!

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I live in Phoenix and this morning even I would have liked the cold weather package. The only negative I’ve heard is that the non-adjustable steering wheel gets too hot

Marlon_JB2

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR, 2014 Dodge Dart GT
Occupation
Jeep Builder
I wouldn't have bought mine WITHOUT the cold weather package, and I have all 3 of those options.

blwest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TLX, 2021 JLUR (on order)
I'd say get the cold weather package. Stereo and headlights can be upgraded easily & DIY later. The seat heaters and steering wheel and associated wiring/relays would be more difficult down the road.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Not even going to read this thread, I just hope I’m not too late...

GET THE ALPINE STEREO!!! If possible, get it with the 7” screen... the 8.4” is overkill in my opinion

It’s the only option I regret not getting. The Alpine speakers sound so much better than the stock ones.

And as far as the cold weather package... pssh, who cares. Jeep heaters get hot so quickly, it doesn’t matter.

Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I lived in Michigan in my 20’s. I drove a bare bones Ranger. Bench seat would exude the smell of the previous owner on a hot summer day. No A/C, no power steering, manual transmission, hand crank windows. Although my wife could drive a manual she didn’t have the upper arm strength to turn the steering wheel while shifting gears. The truck had a cassette player and I used a portable CD player that came with one of those tape cassette shaped dongles that you could slip into the tape player to pipe the CD music into the sound system. I was too poor to afford a new color matched camper shell so I bought the cheapest used shell I could find which was a funky emerald green.

I would sleep in that truck during winter steelhead season without a sleeping pad. My sleeping bag was a no-name-brand one I found in the trunk of a rental car back in college. All I needed was a hot thermos full of tea (didn’t drink coffee when I was young) and the fevered hallucinations of a river filled with bright chrome fish to keep me warm. At night in that truck I wore several layers of high performance cold weather clothing that didn’t quite fit me but had been purchased at deep discounts from the Sierra Trading Post paper catalog (this was pre-Internet). I lost my footing in the icy waters and went for a swim in my waders more than once. Never used hand warmers or any other contraption to artificially keep me warm. A wool hat, 5 mm neoprene boot foot waders, and earmuffs.

The first year after moving to Los Angeles I wore shorts all through the winter and got funny looks at the supermarket and sporting good store. I sold that truck to a couple of day laborers I met at a Home Depot parking lot.

I am middle aged now and my body thermodynamics, eyesight and metabolism have all changed. If I lived in Michigan now I’d go for the cold weather package. But when I lived in Michigan back then, if I could only afford one of those options I would have chosen the stereo.

Last edited:

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Took pops wheeling Saturday through Talladega National Forest, 37 degrees on the ~1,700 foot elevation ridge line. With the soft top down, we enjoyed a deep blue sky and bright sunshine filtering through the evergreens and leafless hardwood trees. A gentle breeze brought fresh, cool mountain air. We heard the crunch of frozen mud puddles as we trekked in the relative comfort of our heated seats and steering wheel. I will always remember that day. Love the LED lights and 8.4-in Alpine, but that cold weather package made the difference in our slow crawl through the woods. Good times.

5A1A280C-D8F6-4144-B41F-F4B7F8A92FB3.jpeg

54857049-CCA9-490E-AB6C-3A0AB615440C.jpeg

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Just curious peoples thoughts and well, maybe it just makes for some good discussion too! I have pretty much decided on the build I would like for my Wrangler Unlimited, and I wanted to add one option but can't decide between the three. Bear in mind I live in Michigan when factoring this in. Overall its a pretty simple order

-Selec-trac
-Auto
-4 Cylinder

-Alpine Stereo
-Led Headlights
-Cold Weather Package

1. While I am not an extreme audiophile, I love music, and having a nice system would be great because I am always listening to music especially in my vehicle. So right now I am leading towards this option. Not sure I have really ever ordered the "upgraded stereo system" in a vehicle before.
2. I love LED headlights in my current car and it also has the adaptive headlights, which are nice. Reading about the LED headlights here, I hear they are a complete pain in the winter time and don't melt snow/ice? If that's the case, I'd probably stick with halogen even though I know they are much worse at night.
3. A nice feature I have now, but I run kinda hot anyway, and I hear the Jeep heats up so quickly its not really needed whatsoever.

So what say you, best bang for your buck option? Also, the 8.4 inch radio premium package doesn't include the Alpine stereo right? That is separate?

Thanks everyone!
cold weather package. Its by far the hardest to add later down the road.

want a bigger screen and better speakers later? Already people here dropping 10” screens in. Want led lights? Wait for good heated ones to hit the market.

imo

myers688

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S 3.6l

-Selec-trac
-Auto
-4 Cylinder

-Alpine Stereo
-Led Headlights
-Cold Weather Package

Thanks everyone!
I would say you should get the cold weather group if you have to pick only one, especially if you are in a colder climate. I live in Minnesota where it gets VERY cold (got to -50F windchill last winter), and while the Jeep does heat up quickly it was nice to have the heated seats and steering wheel. Definitely worth the money.
I also have the alpine sound system, which I love, but the only time I find it really necessary to have is when I have the top down/off as it provides the extra volume needed for that. Otherwise the standard sound system would be fine. Finally, the LEDs are nice however they have their issues in snow and ice, so I would probably avoid those too living in Michigan.

CMF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 2021 SAHARA (that my wife lets me drive on the weekends..sometimes.)
Cold weather package for sure. I"m extremely jealous of my wife's heated steering wheel on these cold SC mornings!
Sponsored