Sponsored

Which one of these 3 options would you pick?

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
I'm going cold weather when I order mine this weekend. As others have pointed out, LED's and sound can be upgraded (to a product better than upgrade provides) for less.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Cold Weather Package, hands-down. Heated steering wheels are amazing and I haven't found a decent way to add on after the fact.

LEDs you can DIY for like ~$700 for headlights if you go aftermarket. Stereos are easy to upgrade and frankly, with the new Sport S's having the 7" screen w/ CarPlay by default (instead of the low-rent 5" version w/o), I see no reason to upgrade. The base stereo sounds fine to me.

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Cold weather package and 8.4 - save the money to skip the Alpine and add the JL Audio subwoofer(s), amp and better panel speakers later on instead. I got the Willy's so LED was included. I have only been thru one snow storm had no issues with the LED's filling up with snow...

I still have my '98 TJ with halogens, had to scoop snow off those maybe half a dozen times in 21 years - it was only on longer driving trips, at least an hour and last time was back in 2010.

Namakan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
I'm in Minnesota and would also recommend the Cold Weather package. Personally I don't care for or rarely ever use the heated seats but the heated steering wheel is probably my favorite options now that I have it.

Sponsored

jrob529

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Just curious peoples thoughts and well, maybe it just makes for some good discussion too! I have pretty much decided on the build I would like for my Wrangler Unlimited, and I wanted to add one option but can't decide between the three. Bear in mind I live in Michigan when factoring this in. Overall its a pretty simple order

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
-Selec-trac
-Auto
-4 Cylinder

So of these three extra options what would you choose?
-Alpine Stereo
-Led Headlights
-Cold Weather Package

1. While I am not an extreme audiophile, I love music, and having a nice system would be great because I am always listening to music especially in my vehicle. So right now I am leading towards this option. Not sure I have really ever ordered the "upgraded stereo system" in a vehicle before.
2. I love LED headlights in my current car and it also has the adaptive headlights, which are nice. Reading about the LED headlights here, I hear they are a complete pain in the winter time and don't melt snow/ice? If that's the case, I'd probably stick with halogen even though I know they are much worse at night.
3. A nice feature I have now, but I run kinda hot anyway, and I hear the Jeep heats up so quickly its not really needed whatsoever.

So what say you, best bang for your buck option? Also, the 8.4 inch radio premium package doesn't include the Alpine stereo right? That is separate?

Thanks everyone!
Cold weather group

darylgordon

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
If I had to choose between the three, these would be my preferences in the order I would prioritize them and why.

I love to listen to music streamed through my iPhone. So, for me the Alpine upgrade is a must. Otherwise, you would eventually want to add an aftermarket system that may or may not work well with the Jeep.

I also have the LED upgrade on my Jeep. After having it, I will never go back. The older I get the harder it is to see at night. I need all the help I can get and there’s no comparison between LED and the old style lighting.

I have the Cold Weather Package too. First, I like having a warm seat and steering wheel on those cold days...at least until my Jeep warms up. Second, when my back is bothering me, sometimes having some heat on my back helps.

Regardless of which one(s) you choose, you will have a new Jeep and having the time of your life. Enjoy your new toy...

Ray Pezzi

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I live a couple hundred miles north of you now, but I spent many years in the Lansing area. You don't get anywhere near the snow that we do up here in Leelanau County, but without the moderating effect of Lake Michigan, you're often just as cold if not colder.
All 3 of those are worthwhile options, but if you have to choose only 1, get the heated seats and steering wheel. I find they are kicking out heat in less than a half mile, and that is a wonderful luxury on a cold winter morning.

Mikefly562

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU in Granite Crystal Metallic
Of the options, I'd go with the Cold Weather Package if you live in a colder climate. Being in the mountains yesterday, I really enjoyed the warm steering wheel. As for the LEDs, mine did not come with it, but I plan to get aftermarket Oculus LEDs and wire the day running light O-Ring to one of the Aux switches so I can manually turn off all the LEDs for my astronomy club outings. As for the radio, my Rubicon came with the 7" display, and its fine, adequate, and I can always upgrade to a larger display later, but I think the 7" display is still better than what's in a lot of other vehicles.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
Thanks for the replies everyone! It will still be a few months before I do an order but everyone brings up solid points. I have a cold weather package now in my car and to be honest I barely use the heated seats, but, I don't have a heated steering wheel with it.

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
I’d get the Cold Weather Group. LEDs and better speakers can be added later relatively easily. A heated steering wheel and seats that come on automatically when the temperature drops below 40 degrees...not so much.

Good luck.
I've got that option and in all honesty, the remote start/heated comfort works about half the time. The sensors are shit and give false readings until you start driving down the road. Mine has read 70 degrees in a 31 degree garage (heat didn't start). It's sat outside in 23 degree and cloudy weather for 9 hours at work. Remote start, no heat. Sensor said 57 degrees.

EDIT

The heated seat is nice, the steering wheel is even better. But don't expect them to work with the remote start. But if I had to choose, I'd take the headlights. They REALLY make driving at night a lot easier. Safety over comfort for me. And my previous vehcle was a Ram 1500 with halogen headlights that were about as bright as a couple flashlights with dying batteries. I LOVE the LEDs.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious peoples thoughts and well, maybe it just makes for some good discussion too! I have pretty much decided on the build I would like for my Wrangler Unlimited, and I wanted to add one option but can't decide between the three. Bear in mind I live in Michigan when factoring this in. Overall its a pretty simple order

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
-Selec-trac
-Auto
-4 Cylinder

So of these three extra options what would you choose?
-Alpine Stereo
-Led Headlights
-Cold Weather Package

1. While I am not an extreme audiophile, I love music, and having a nice system would be great because I am always listening to music especially in my vehicle. So right now I am leading towards this option. Not sure I have really ever ordered the "upgraded stereo system" in a vehicle before.
2. I love LED headlights in my current car and it also has the adaptive headlights, which are nice. Reading about the LED headlights here, I hear they are a complete pain in the winter time and don't melt snow/ice? If that's the case, I'd probably stick with halogen even though I know they are much worse at night.
3. A nice feature I have now, but I run kinda hot anyway, and I hear the Jeep heats up so quickly its not really needed whatsoever.

So what say you, best bang for your buck option? Also, the 8.4 inch radio premium package doesn't include the Alpine stereo right? That is separate?

Thanks everyone!
Alpine stereo, my 2 cents

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I've got that option and in all honesty, the remote start/heated comfort works about half the time. The sensors are shit and give false readings until you start driving down the road. Mine has read 70 degrees in a 31 degree garage (heat didn't start). It's sat outside in 23 degree and cloudy weather for 9 hours at work. Remote start, no heat. Sensor said 57 degrees.

EDIT

The heated seat is nice, the steering wheel is even better. But don't expect them to work with the remote start. But if I had to choose, I'd take the headlights. They REALLY make driving at night a lot easier. Safety over comfort for me. And my previous vehcle was a Ram 1500 with halogen headlights that were about as bright as a couple flashlights with dying batteries. I LOVE the LEDs.
I haven’t had any issues with the steering and seat heaters coming on on my Jeep.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
One more bit of logic, you may not use heated seats, remote start, etc. very often but that option will also carry better resale value in your neck of the woods (more Benjamins in your pocket someday). I've been shopping for a couple of weeks and my wife would not even look at a vehicle without the cold weather option.
Sponsored