Sponsored

Which one of these 3 options would you pick?

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
Just curious peoples thoughts and well, maybe it just makes for some good discussion too! I have pretty much decided on the build I would like for my Wrangler Unlimited, and I wanted to add one option but can't decide between the three. Bear in mind I live in Michigan when factoring this in. Overall its a pretty simple order

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
-Selec-trac
-Auto
-4 Cylinder

So of these three extra options what would you choose?
-Alpine Stereo
-Led Headlights
-Cold Weather Package

1. While I am not an extreme audiophile, I love music, and having a nice system would be great because I am always listening to music especially in my vehicle. So right now I am leading towards this option. Not sure I have really ever ordered the "upgraded stereo system" in a vehicle before.
2. I love LED headlights in my current car and it also has the adaptive headlights, which are nice. Reading about the LED headlights here, I hear they are a complete pain in the winter time and don't melt snow/ice? If that's the case, I'd probably stick with halogen even though I know they are much worse at night.
3. A nice feature I have now, but I run kinda hot anyway, and I hear the Jeep heats up so quickly its not really needed whatsoever.

So what say you, best bang for your buck option? Also, the 8.4 inch radio premium package doesn't include the Alpine stereo right? That is separate?

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Led headlights are great, but there are reports of issues in snow (nothitenough to melt snow off lens. InMichigan Iā€™d go Cold Weather package. Heated steering wheel and seats are great.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
There are a lot of aftermarket options for headlights and the Sport S package is just headlights and fogs. I would skip that one.

I would lean towards the Cold Weather Group but if not I would at least look at the Convenience Group so you can get Remote Start.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™d get the Cold Weather Group. LEDs and better speakers can be added later relatively easily. A heated steering wheel and seats that come on automatically when the temperature drops below 40 degrees...not so much.

Good luck.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
Faced with a similar choose a few months back, I went with the alpine audio. I wasnā€™t impressed with the stock system and listened to the alpine and it was much better. I wasnā€™t interested in ripping my new dash apart to change everything like I did in my JKU. Jeepā€™s rattle enough that I didnā€™t want to create anymore by taking things apart yet!The factory sub is tucked out of the way and has a nice clean look. The amp is also not visible so you donā€™t have worry about it. While you can add probably a better system for comparable money(if you do yourself), the factory alpine is pretty good for most people.
I park in a garage so the cold weather option wasnā€™t needed, and with snow and having LED in the past, didnā€™t want to deal with them again.

Sponsored

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
I have both the Alpine Stereo and Cold Weather package, and Iā€™m very happy with both of them. I live in GA and enjoy heated seats and steering wheel, and remote start/heated parts on below 40.
I donā€™t have to deal with snow issues on the headlights, but would have liked factory LEDs, I ended up installing the LEDs from my JKU with an adapter ring, but there are a number of options if you decide you want them. Included heated 7ā€, I donā€™t recall having seen a heated 9ā€ yet.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Iā€™m in Southern Indiana. I have all three of those items. The one that I enjoy the most is the Cold Weather Group without a doubt. He have not had much snow at all since I have owned my Jeep, however, I would guess that the Cold Weather Group extends my days with windows down pretty significantly. Easily down into the mid 40ā€™s when I am by my self.

And on those cold days, it is very nice to have the remote start, heated steering wheel and seats!!!!

my $0.02

chachimcnacho

First Name
Chachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I agree with aldo. LEDs and audio are relatively easy upgrades. Iā€™m in the Midwest as well and will tell you that the cold weather group is a great add. Not just for super cold days, but it extends the time you can go topless or sunrider/freedom tops off. If you subscribe to Guardian, the value of the auto-on for heat/defroster/heated seats is even better. I start mine from my phone 5 mins before leaving work.
Good luck and enjoy your new Jeep!!

LDJD79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I would say Cold Weather package because as someone mentioned above, you can add the LEDs and a better stereo later if needed. That being said, I bought mine with the Alpine system, halogen lights, no cold weather package. I bought and installed the factory LED headlights ($900) as soon as they were available through dealership because halogen lights are horrible. I wish that I had got the Cold Weather package now and there is no way to added it after the fact.

Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
Cold weather package
There are so many different headlights youā€™re better off choosing your own aftermarket to really personalize your ride. They are ridiculously easy to install

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Just curious peoples thoughts and well, maybe it just makes for some good discussion too! I have pretty much decided on the build I would like for my Wrangler Unlimited, and I wanted to add one option but can't decide between the three. Bear in mind I live in Michigan when factoring this in. Overall its a pretty simple order

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
-Selec-trac
-Auto
-4 Cylinder

-Alpine Stereo
-Led Headlights
-Cold Weather Package

1. While I am not an extreme audiophile, I love music, and having a nice system would be great because I am always listening to music especially in my vehicle. So right now I am leading towards this option. Not sure I have really ever ordered the "upgraded stereo system" in a vehicle before.
2. I love LED headlights in my current car and it also has the adaptive headlights, which are nice. Reading about the LED headlights here, I hear they are a complete pain in the winter time and don't melt snow/ice? If that's the case, I'd probably stick with halogen even though I know they are much worse at night.
3. A nice feature I have now, but I run kinda hot anyway, and I hear the Jeep heats up so quickly its not really needed whatsoever.

So what say you, best bang for your buck option? Also, the 8.4 inch radio premium package doesn't include the Alpine stereo right? That is separate?

Thanks everyone!
I would recommend the Alpine Sound System as stock radio is not that good based on JLs I have used as rentals in the past.

(2) is very good for visibility and is much better than the Halogens. But the LEDs do not run hot enough in snow and can therefore create a safety hazard. Secondly, the LEDs reflect a lot of white off the Snow at night and can cause a glare if you are not used to LED lighting. For a place like Michigan that gets more snow than us folks on Long Island, I would therefore recommend the Halogens. Long Island/NYC/NJ sit on the border of winter in the US I must say. We get snow but not as much as rest of the North. However we can still get as cold as a Boston or a Toronto or a Chicago a few times of the year. This area will be the Northermost Point I would recommend the LEDs. If I was in Upstate NY, I would have gone Halogens for sure.

(3) is good to have esp the Steering Warmer but given how good the heaters work, you can skip it and add if you have money left over in your build.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
-Alpine Stereo
-Led Headlights
-Cold Weather Package

First, let me agree with most here: the Cold Weather package would be the hardest and least cost efficient to add later, so of the 3 (and I have all three) I would choose that.

To answer your other question, the 8.4 Premium Audio package absolutely includes the Alpine upgrade. The next thing I was going to advise was that if you're considering the Alpine upgrade at $1295, the 8.4 with Premium Audio at $1995 is a better value.

Screenshot_20201230-115320_Drive.jpg

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
I would go with the cold weather package, that would be an option that would be difficult and expensive to add at a later date if possible at all. Radios and headlights are a much easier change.
Sponsored