Which Oil Are You Using, And Why??

wheels082

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2010 JKU, 1994 XJ
Nice!! This is going to date me just a bit, last 2 wheel dirt bike I had was a 74 CR250 Elsinore (owned in 76), was badass in the day, but now looking back at pics of them kinda depressing :) Also had the baddest 3 wheeler, a 84 ATC 250R, that was badass and still would be if I had it :)
I have a 74 CR250 in pieces in my basement. I originally planned to restore it but never did.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I have a 74 CR250 in pieces in my basement. I originally planned to restore it but never did.
I loved riding that thing, not like the newer bikes that have so much suspension travel and would had to get up on my toes. For 74 it was pretty damn fast, more power than I could use most of the time :)
Maybe you'll get some time & motivation to get it back together :)

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Well, I usually don't respond to oil threads but I will share my two cents:

I use that Amsoil stuff after reading over one million posts by Amsoil fans over the years. If Amsoil synthetic is not available, I'll buy the other big name brands. If I can find an oil that is colored purple or some other cool color, I'll buy that because it must be the best stuff.

I never buy the oil on sale because that means it's stale or near its expiration date. Just think about it. Why else would it be on sale? Would you drink milk after its expiration date? Of course not. I am too smart to fall for that scam. Buy from the store or online vendor with the highest prices. That's the good stuff. If I can pay at least $15 or $20 per quart, then I know it's going be a good oil.

With the Amsoil, like others state on forum threads, all my engine problems went away immediately and I gained around 25HP. Like magic. No ticking or other noises. Sometimes I am not even sure the engine is running its so quiet. I usually have to stick my hand down near the drive belts to feel if they are running. My windshield wipers also improved dramatically. Headlights are brighter too.

I change the oil and filter every 75 miles or 5 days just to be sure I am always getting maximum protection. Why run your beloved vehicle on used up garbage oil? Makes no sense at all. If I can't get it done on the scheduled day, my wife and/or 9 year old child know to change the oil/filter for me, so they can avoid my rage at the thought of running an engine even one day with old useless oil in it.
You joke, but I think this is what everyone in my old Subaru group thought their WRX needed. When I posted mine for sale with "Oil changed every 6k with full synthetic" you would've thought I told them I used Canola oil and a coffee filter!

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
You joke, but I think this is what everyone in my old Subaru group thought their WRX needed. When I posted mine for sale with "Oil changed every 6k with full synthetic" you would've thought I told them I used Canola oil and a coffee filter!
Some Subarus burn so much oil that you don't need to do oil changes. Just keep topping it off at every gas-up.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Some Subarus burn so much oil that you don't need to do oil changes. Just keep topping it off at every gas-up.
My Jk's 3.8 could do that. It burns 1/2 to 3/4 quart every 1k. With 6k oil changes, due to warranty, I change it. But I've always theorized that I could just keep adding and it would sort of be like changing itself! Lol! Still runs like new, though! 147k miles and counting!

A buddy of mine had a Tahoe with a 350. He just added oil every week or so. It ran for over 200k before the rest of the truck rusted out around it. He did that for over 100k. What an engine that 350 was! Lol!

Barely Krawlified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I posted earlier in this thread (see post #5) and mentioned that for warranty preservation reasons, I always run 0w20 that also meets/exceeds the Chrysler MS-6395 standard.

Honestly, I’ll be the first to admit I know very little about motor oil, its components and the benchmarks that distinguish one brand from another or one formula/additive package from another. I’m really just learning about automotive maintenance and about doing some of my own work and I’ve been really enjoying it—-uhh, that is, once I get the right tool(s) for the job. I’ve learned quickly that’s an important part of the process...

Anyway, I’m wondering if any of you are using a different viscosity oil in the 3.6 than the 0w20 that it calls for. If you are running something different than 0w20 help me understand why.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Cue the Amsoil fanboyz........

I’ll grab the popcorn.
The first change was with Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 at 5,000 miles and then I switched to Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20. I change it at 7,500 miles. Both Amsoil and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum did fantastic on the ProjectFarm oil tests. Truthfully the important part is to use high quality synthetic oil and change it at regular intervals.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How did you get footage of the jeep wave oil changes?!?:movember:
They should have shown them installing the oil filter upside down first to be completely factual.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I have a serious question about this subject. What color oil bottle should I get, do you think it would work better in the 3.6 or 2.0 and what should I name it?

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Side gripe: when you ignore a member and he replies to a post, that post will show up in your unread list. Opening the affected post will take you to post #1 since you’re ignoring the poster who made the update. Because of that, I now just use my built-in ignore button... ie roll my eyes and move on. :)
Not if you check the box below. You will not see any of their posts and they will not show up as unread.

I put the recently banned troll on ignore long ago and he would respond to my posts, but I would not see them unless I was not logged in.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which Oil Are You Using, And Why?? Screenshot_20210113-230523

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm a Mobil 1 user. I use the OEM recommended viscosity. I've used it in 3 trucks, and 4 cars over the past 20 + years. One truck, a 1999 2500 GMC has near 300k on it and is still running great according to the owner. Another truck, a 2008 Chevy 6.0L Vortec Max, has a bad AFM lifter, which I think would have happened no matter what oil was run, as this is a fairly common problem.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I think the big oil companies love all you guys that still change oil on set intervals instead of when the vehicle tells you.